Braai-ing chicken

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Braai-ing chicken

I admit - I normally only braai meat but a lady on my next trip enjoys chicken. I find there is little to eat on wings and thighs so in the past the only chicken I have handled is on the Weber spit - the whole bird. Wonderful!

Advice on how to braai whole chicken breasts (bone in) - the one's that usually come with braai packs and secondly the individual smaller breasts with no bone will be appreciated.

I guess one of the challenges is to cook the chicken to a safe temp 65C without turning it into charcoal. (Maybe 40 mins for the large breasts?). I do have a very accurate thermometer. Braaing in the bush will be on wood or charcoal.

Also any killer (but simple) marinade recipes for the above ? I don't travel with a kitchen so the fewer ingredients the better!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: Braai-ing chicken

When it comes to salad on the braai, steer away from breasts. They go dry very quick. Stick to drumsticks or thighs. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them about an hour before you braai, then simple aromat and paprika does the trick for me. Squeezing some more juice just before I remove them from the braai.

The only advice I have is low & slow & long.

Salmonella is not fun.

I hate braaing chicken. If I braai chicken on an open flame, I make sure I pre-cook in the microwave until half cooked at least and then finish on the grid.

I'd take a mini-weber and use that.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Well why not rather go for chic sosaties? Some of the Super Spar's here in my area sells vacuum packed chicken sosaties and chic prego. Basically flattened chic breasts in marinade vacuum packed.

I will not drag bone in breasts with, they take up too much space in the fridge and is generally quite thick. Take deboned chic breasts (more expensive but for camping worth it IMO), defrost and simply butterfly or cut in half, the thinner they are the quicker they cook. Any off the shelf marinade will do, even salad dressing works.

Thankfully hubby is an absolute ace with braaing chicken, never served me dry or under cooked chicken. I don't eat much other meat.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/08 at 10:15 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Do a whole beer chicken. Doesn't burn easy and it cooks relatively well in a good time. Also foolproof.

I do a salty lemon chicken wing that always gets positive comments. We buy free range chicken wings, primarily because they do have much more meat that the battery caged chickens. I salt and pepper, coarse salt in a grinder and also pepper in the grinder and put it on the coals for a minute on each side. Then I add lemon and salt regularly and I turn the grill every minute or two. Dont be shy with the salt or the lemon. The fat in the skin neutralises the salt (a glass of cold white wine doesn't do any harm either). Do not use the fine salt, there is something in there that gives a metal taste (perhaps the anti- coagulating agents?). Himalayan salt works very well.

I add a picture I took last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Braai like any other meat. The only difference, when you think it's done, leave it on for another 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The only advice I have is low & slow & long.
    Basically this.

I must admit this is one of the more difficult things for me to braai. You braai for damn long on slow heat. It is easy to overcook it because you are so scared of serving it under done. Then it is just a taai dry peace of meat without much flavor.

I also pre-cook the thing but you don't have that luxury in the bush.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ZookBug View Post
    Braai like any other meat. The only difference, when you think it's done, leave it on for another 15 minutes.
    Yip, no different from an argument with your wife. When you think it's done it still has another 15 minutes to go.

You can sous vide it in the bush. Marinade and chicken in a Ziplock bag, bump in a bag of boiling water and boil in the bag in the water for an hour or so. Will be succulent, tender and juicy when done. Then just slap on the braai for flavour. Similar to microwaving, just takes a bit longer. I always microwave, 12 minutes for every 1kg of chicken, upped to 15 minutes if there are thick pieces in there (like whole chicken). When done, just slap on hit grid for colour and flavour.

Try this marinade:
    1 can beer (use Castle or any other SAB, all its good for)
    330ml cooking oil
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp portuguese chicken spice (Robertsons)
    2 tsp crushed piri-piri chilles (lemon/herb spices if you don't like hot)
    1 tsp parika
    Marinade chicken flatty or pieces overnight.
    You can braai the chicken without worrying too much about the the coals being too hot. Since the marinade has no sugar in it, the chicken does not burn like the one's you buy in the supermarket. Also, the oil in the marinade keeps it from drying out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You can sous vide it in the bush. Marinade and chicken in a Ziplock bag, bump in a bag of boiling water and boil in the bag in the water for an hour or so. Will be succulent, tender and juicy when done. Then just slap on the braai for flavour. Similar to microwaving, just takes a bit longer. I always microwave, 12 minutes for every 1kg of chicken, upped to 15 minutes if there are thick pieces in there (like whole chicken). When done, just slap on hit grid for colour and flavour.
    Nice tip!

Actually reminds me of making a scramble egg in a ziplock bag in boiling water like that.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

I do it Portuguese style and do NOT braai any pre-bought marinaded flatties from anywhere, the starch in the marinade makes it burn too quickly. Make your own.

Cut down the spine on either side. Invert the chicken (cut side down) and push down gently at the thighs. The legs dislocate and the chicken goes flat. The breasts are now together and will not dry out. If the chicken looks knock kneed then you have doen you job well.

If you are interested in the marinade I will need to write it up for you as I normally wing it.

Chicken done correctly on the braai is a thing of rare beauty, not cooked correctly it becomes and major disappointment.

When SWAMBO wants veggies on the braai I get the pre-marinaded flatties.
    On the braai in the bag until the bag finally springs a leak. Chicken us usually cooked through and just needs a bit of burn time on the fire to add flavour
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Pre-cook ours in the slow cooker at home - in Ina Paarman Butter Lemon or one of the others. Then freeze them in an ice cream bucket. Just heat up without burning and it is finger licken good!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/07/09 at 10:16 AM.

I used to do the low long and slow method. Then my father in law showed me the fast and high heat method.

Very hot coals and turn quickly. You can braai a flatty in 30 minutes and it is juicy. I don't like marinades a lot so I will use some paprika, salt pepper, chilli flakes and olive oil.

I stay away from pre cooking and microwaving, I leave that for the guys who cannot braai. (half a smiley, half serious)

Pre-marinated stuff is from the devil, just have a look on the label to see what they put in those marinades. Make your own, it is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    Try this marinade:
    1 can beer (use Castle or any other SAB, all its good for)
    330ml cooking oil
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp portuguese chicken spice (Robertsons)
    2 tsp crushed piri-piri chilles (lemon/herb spices if you don't like hot)
    1 tsp parika
    Marinade chicken flatty or pieces overnight.
    You can braai the chicken without worrying too much about the the coals being too hot. Since the marinade has no sugar in it, the chicken does not burn like the one's you buy in the supermarket. Also, the oil in the marinade keeps it from drying out.
    My table won't post.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2019/07/08 at 12:34 PM.

Jip, can't braai for the life of me. Now just have to find the reason why there never is any chicken left? Can't be because I am stingy.
    Maybe it is the excellent marinade made by expert Ina, in combination with the smokey flavour and the meat that is properly cooked?

Chicken in a bag works well for me. I have only cocked up a couple in the beginning and now get it right every time. The whole chicken, left in the bag cooked over minimal coals for an hour or so. When you get it just right the bag blows up but does not burst and the chicken cooks in it's own juices. Delicious.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast