Advice please for newbie 4x4er

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Advice please for newbie 4x4er

Hello everyone

So heres my situation. Currently thinking of getting a suv for long road trips into the wildcoast or midlands. Not intending to overland. I am an avid fisherman so mostly the wildcoast lol.

Looking at an suv for its practicality in terms of passengers and comfort, oh and has to be an auto. Budget is abit tight as i am starting my offroad/road trip ventures. Budget wise, Looking at give or take 200k.

So ive spent a lot of time reading up on this forum and i must say you guys are a wealth of knowledge! Hats off!

So first things first...

Im torn between petrol and diesel.
    The whole maintenance is more and petrol is easier to repair etc etc.

Ive read up on the nissan pathfinders and they seem lovely. And heard nothing but good. Except parts and spares can be pricey.

Also learnt from this forum off the almighty pajeros. I must say i quite like the pajero sport.

But i am still uncertain and probably hoping to get some heads up on possible options

Thanks
    Last edited by Darknight; 2019/07/07 at 12:46 AM.

Default Re: Advice please for newbie 4x4er

Good morning

I am not a technical expert and will speak of experience.
    I am on my 2nd SUV, which I bought new in 2010. It is a Ford Everest 3.0 TDCI 4x4 Automatic. The real ugly duckling of SUV's

My primary concern was if it breaks down far from the city what are my chances of having it repaired. The choice was either Ford/Toyota/Isuzu

Mine has done 168k with only routine maintenance. Most expensive to date has been the timing belt and tensioner replacement in 2019 ( R4800)

The shocks had been replaced under warranty. I paid a little extra on this to get the uprated off-road shocks which gave a small amount of lift too.

The car is very spacious but yet nimble and agile enough for off road trips. It does exceptionally well in sand. It tows the caravan well through both rocky and sandy terrain. Engine braking in low range with the caravan is superb.

I have 265/70/16 tyres( 2nd set) on which gives it a nicer stance but affected fuel consumption. The latter has gone up from 9.9 to 11.2l/100km.

The gearbox unloaded is rough but add passengers, gear and a trailer, and that box is something different.

I live at the coast and thus far no rush at all.

It comes standard with a simple radio & 6 CD changer in dash. I replaced this with an Android radio which was a 30 min job at the audio installers.

Seats are leather which I pamper once a year with BMW's Leathercare and they still look great.

The 1st series Everest now sells for below 200k. From a practical and functional perspective, this remains my choice. Theft risk is lower too.

Wish you happy and successful searching.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blazerb2 For This Useful Post:

You might even consider a later model Jeep Patriot. It has auto trans and selectable 4 wheel drive. Ground clearance is quite low but that can be sorted with rims and tyres. My youngster uses his to get to fishing spots. Lots of wheel mods on You Tube.

Alternatively, a Jeep Cherokee, a bit low in the front but also selectable 4x4.

Both have all the amenities as well as space
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-Jeep-Patriot-75th-Anniversary-edition-rear-three-quarter.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	498.1 KB 
ID:	533054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherokee.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	533055  
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Then there are these for under R200k
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

The correct answer, of course, is a Defender

But seriously, if you get a 110 you can chuck a mattress in the back and sleep wherever you fish.

And if you get one with a galvanised chassis you have much less worries about rust.

For R200k you should be able to get a fairly decent one.

Edit: Forgot it has to be an auto so I guess my post is irrelevant.
    Last edited by albertvl; 2019/07/07 at 08:20 AM.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

You'll also find a few Nissan Patrols at that price. Excellent SUV's and highly capable offroad.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

How about a Prado 90? Comes in under budget, you can then rather set aside some money to feed the V6. It won't be that thirsty and well maintained ones should give you no trouble at all.
    Very nice vehicles, the petrol V6 is bullet proof.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blazerb2 View Post
    Good morning

The shocks had been replaced under warranty. I paid a little extra on this to get the uprated off-road shocks which gave a small amount of lift too.
    Just a correction. Shocks do not lift the suspension. Their only purpose is to restrict the time the suspension takes to travel, hence the name shock absorber. Only the suspension determines the height of the vehicle.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Appreciate the feedback everyone thanks so much. Will look into the suggestions didnt hear anything from the Pajero fundies yet?... I was really looking into the pajero sport.
    Last edited by Darknight; 2019/07/07 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Appreciate the feedback everyone thanks so much. Will look into the suggestions didnt hear anything from the Pajero fundies yet?... I was really looking into the pajero sport.
    Those are brilliant vehicles too. I know plenty of people who are very happy with theirs. Do yourself a favour and search through old threads in the various sections. It is the best way of finding out more about the various vehicles. And then just go drive those that you like. Not just one, but a couple of each. If you are looking at a Pathfinder or Pajero Sport, I can promise you that a Defender will not tick your boxes. Or maybe it will and you just never knew that a Landy was what was missing in your life. Who knows?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

With all the vehicles suggested, what would be the brand with most available spares and resources. I know Toyota spares are generally cheaper and easily sourced... Maybe a list of most available to least.??

With all the vehicles suggested, what would be the brand with most available spares and resources. I know Toyota spares are generally cheaper and easily sourced... Maybe a list of most available to least.??
    When you go French prepare for the stealer to make love to you in a very unpleasant way when you have to purchase spares.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

21. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    When you go French prepare for the stealer to make love to you in a very unpleasant way when you have to purchase spares.
    Any specific brands you have in mind with regards to that?

Nissan xtrail or Suzuki Vitara?
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Advice please for newbie 4x4er

The only problem I have with the pajero is what the word pajero means in Spanish

If it was my money, there would be only 2 choices. The Paj Sport 3.2 DiD or the 120 Series Toyota Prado V6 petrol.

my 2c
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4]

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

I’m biased, but consider a 2009 or 2010 V6 TDI Touareg. Nice ones to be had in that price range. Can be pricy to maintain, especially if neglected, but a very solid vehicle, very capable and safe. Extremely low theft risk.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

Ask 10 different brand owners this question and get 10 different answers, every one wants to believe his vehicle is the best or deny that he made a mistake in buying it

If you want the best 4x4 you probably want a Geladewagen or a toyota Both brands are virtually bullet proof and unstoppable but................. there is no cheap toyota and spares are ....... so do you really need bullet proof

I know the are you want to go fishing in pretty well and your biggest requirement is clearance and if wet, traction. I have recovered my late brother on how many occasions with my Pajero (yes I am part of the Pajero brigade).

My old lady has done the fishing and sight seeing thing many times in that area and has always gotten me there and back without a problem. Pajero is pretty well built with good all round performance, winning the Dakar so many times taught Mitsubishi something. The bottom end of their petrol engines are bullet proof but the heads are butter, maybe I am too hard on an engine but I have enough experience of this. No major issues with suspension after fitting Old Man Emu and as for drive train no problems.

Your question regarding petrol or diesel.. what do you know best? Single rail turbo diesel units are awesome and relatively simple and generally give good diesel consumption. Older multi point pump setups are donkeys, slow and dead in performance. Petrol engines often but not always out perform Diesels but their consumption is not as good. Not having a turbo is no major issue and often cheaper on maintenance.

Every vehicle has some issue some bigger than others, do your research, read the problems of each vehicle on this and other forums so that you can make an educated guess. Remember you will get a lot more relevant info from the mechanic that repairs the vehicle than the salesman trying to make a sale
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Ask 10 different brand owners this question and get 10 different answers, every one wants to believe his vehicle is the best or deny that he made a mistake in buying it

If you want the best 4x4 you probably want a Geladewagen or a toyota Both brands are virtually bullet proof and unstoppable but................. there is no cheap toyota and spares are ....... so do you really need bullet proof

I know the are you want to go fishing in pretty well and your biggest requirement is clearance and if wet, traction. I have recovered my late brother on how many occasions with my Pajero (yes I am part of the Pajero brigade).

My old lady has done the fishing and sight seeing thing many times in that area and has always gotten me there and back without a problem. Pajero is pretty well built with good all round performance, winning the Dakar so many times taught Mitsubishi something. The bottom end of their petrol engines are bullet proof but the heads are butter, maybe I am too hard on an engine but I have enough experience of this. No major issues with suspension after fitting Old Man Emu and as for drive train no problems.

Your question regarding petrol or diesel.. what do you know best? Single rail turbo diesel units are awesome and relatively simple and generally give good diesel consumption. Older multi point pump setups are donkeys, slow and dead in performance. Petrol engines often but not always out perform Diesels but their consumption is not as good. Not having a turbo is no major issue and often cheaper on maintenance.

Every vehicle has some issue some bigger than others, do your research, read the problems of each vehicle on this and other forums so that you can make an educated guess. Remember you will get a lot more relevant info from the mechanic that repairs the vehicle than the salesman trying to make a sale
    Thank you so much! yes i intended on doing as much research as i can before making my decision. however the Pajero sport seems to be in the lead for me

It would probably be Land Rover. As the vehicle has cult status, Independent Services and Parts are readily available and not expensive. My Range Rover has been the cheapest vehicle I owned in respect of parts, even major ones. However, small amounts frequently are the same as a large amount infrequently

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast