Advice please for newbie 4x4er - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Advice please for newbie 4x4er

Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Hello everyone

I am an avid fisherman so mostly the wildcoast.
    I don't know much about the cars mentioned in the thread ( Xtrail, Koleos etc) but have friends who do these trips often. From what it sounds like, one will need something with good clearance and low range which will preclude these types of cars. Here in our valley ( Richards Bay) the dune tracks to get to the beach are often deep tracks with high centre section - doing these trips with less than ideal car I would not like to do often and on a regular basis.

Yes, I guess you can. However, your focus should be on the fishing and not being worried about getting to wherever or back.

My suggestion would be a Pajero Sport Auto in 3.2 diesel, one of your choices in the original post. Legendary reliability and they are strong no fuss cars.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoP View Post
    What?
    This? Pajero according the Spanish Diccionary means "the person who carries straw."
    or (Central America) (informal) (= mentiroso)liar
    or (Central America) (= fontanero) plumber

It has a slang name too yes, just like some other cars
    But this is OT

Veering way off-topic here but below is a cut-and-paste is from the Collins dictionary:

This is also quite entertaining and the pajero features: https://www.thrillist.com/cars/hilar...nate-car-names

No offence to pajero owners intended.

I'm completely sure though, that when they realized their mistake, Mitsubishi quickly changed the model name in Spanish-speaking countries, given that Spanish is one of the top 3 spoken languages on earth, along with Mandarin and English.

Their cars are good though - I had a Colt bakkie, brilliant car.

pajero

Word forms: pajero, pajeramasculine noun/feminine noun1. (vulgar) (en sentido sexual) tosser (vulgar)wanker (vulgar)
    2. (Central America) (informal) (= mentiroso) liar
    3. (Central America) (= fontanero) plumber

adjective (Central America) (informal)

Way off topic yes - the Pajero is named after the Pampas cat - Leopardus pajeros. A cat native to the South Americas.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Way off topic yes - the Pajero is named after the Pampas cat - Leopardus pajeros. A cat native to the South Americas.
    Hi Riaan

Maybe we should start a new thread!

As MarkoP pointed out, in Spain (although not very flattering) pajero means a person who carries straw.
    In South America, there must be tens of thousands of people who know the perjorative meaning of the word pajero and nothing about the jungle cat, for every one person who has even heard of the jungle cat.
    I doubt that Mitsubishi named it after the jungle cat and intentionally marketed it under that name in South America - the department responsible for checking proposed model names just dropped the ball.
    I really don't mean to cause offence - in my opinion the Mitsubish Pajero is an excellent vehicle.
    Hell, since we are on a new topic, there is a type of parrot endimic to New Zealand called the Kia.
    When settlers introduced sheep, the Kia had found a new food source and would park off on the sheep's rump facing backwards, peck a hole in the sheep's rump and happily keep the wound bleeding while it fed.
    It's probably just me but whenever I see a kia or a pajero...

Back on topic, if you can find a still find a nice Jeep Grand Cherokee WK CRD you will have plenty left over with 200K. 2 inch lift and bigger tyres and you will go everywhere.

Also look at a Land Rover Freelander. Latest model you can find. Will do everything you ask of it, economical and relatively reliable.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone

So heres my situation. Currently thinking of getting a suv for long road trips into the wildcoast or midlands. Not intending to overland. I am an avid fisherman so mostly the wildcoast lol.

Looking at an suv for its practicality in terms of passengers and comfort, oh and has to be an auto. Budget is abit tight as i am starting my offroad/road trip ventures. Budget wise, Looking at give or take 200k.

So ive spent a lot of time reading up on this forum and i must say you guys are a wealth of knowledge! Hats off!

So first things first...

Im torn between petrol and diesel.
    The whole maintenance is more and petrol is easier to repair etc etc.

Ive read up on the nissan pathfinders and they seem lovely. And heard nothing but good. Except parts and spares can be pricey.

Also learnt from this forum off the almighty pajeros. I must say i quite like the pajero sport.

But i am still uncertain and probably hoping to get some heads up on possible options

Thanks
    From experience of travelling all over sub-Saharan Africa myself, and also by observing what is currently on all the roads.....Stick to a TOYOTA!

1) You can get spares
    2) Most people know how to work on Toyota's
    3)The dominant make on the all open roads is Toyota.... *No disrespect to Land Rover, but we saw only two Land Rovers on the entire last trip to South Luangwa (Zambia) in June...... That should tell you something....
    4) Try to stick to 17 inch wheels... 17" Tyres are available in a lot more places than most other tyre size.
    5) While diesel is being phased out around the world, Africa will continue to run diesel long after we have all passed on, so stick to diesel.

Hope this helps

Tim Driman

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Driman For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone

So heres my situation. Currently thinking of getting a suv for long road trips into the wildcoast or midlands. Not intending to overland. I am an avid fisherman so mostly the wildcoast lol.

Looking at an suv for its practicality in terms of passengers and comfort, oh and has to be an auto. Budget is abit tight as i am starting my offroad/road trip ventures. Budget wise, Looking at give or take 200k.

So ive spent a lot of time reading up on this forum and i must say you guys are a wealth of knowledge! Hats off!

So first things first...

Im torn between petrol and diesel.
    The whole maintenance is more and petrol is easier to repair etc etc.

Ive read up on the nissan pathfinders and they seem lovely. And heard nothing but good. Except parts and spares can be pricey.

Also learnt from this forum off the almighty pajeros. I must say i quite like the pajero sport.

But i am still uncertain and probably hoping to get some heads up on possible options

Thanks

Hi Darknight

I was in your exact position just under a year ago. Except I was looking to do weekend tours instead of fishing.
    I bought a 2010 Pajero Sport with 142km on it for just under R200k.
    Having just returned from a 10 000km round trip from Cape town, Hwange and Kasane I have gained massive respect for the PS. She breezed through the trip without breaking a sweat. Great ride comfort!
    In town they can be a bit heavy on diesel (8km/l) but on the open road at cruising speeds you'll reach 10,5-11km/l.
    Maintenance wise they can be complicated and pricey when it does go bad, but the 3,2l are universally recognized as bulletproof engines.
    Its not snappy or fast (acceleration at high speeds is pretty decent though), the four speed auto can be a bit rough on changes in certain situations. It does however pull like a train. Great if your looking to hook up a caravan or large trailer in a few years.

Looking back I'd say I couldn't have made a better choice considering all the parameters I set for myself.

Cheers and good luck with your decision!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sous lambrechts For This Useful Post:

I do not know why, but I only yesterday saw a FB thread 'The 10 cars you do not want to buy', or something like that, and there is was. Audi Q5 at the top of the do not buy list, followed by a slew of Jeep products, US sourced cars (including recent Ford F250 models), Subaru's (a couple, but notably the Outlander.). Reasons were given, so have fun looking. No Toyotas, local Fords, Isuzus, Pajero's, Nissans, Renaults or Land Rovers (phew!) were on the list.

Looking for an SUV around R200,000 I would not hesitate to look at a Prado with a petrol engine and automatic box. I would scratch off turbos diesels with high mileage and would not consider anything with CVT or dual clutch transmission. Even then, it could get expensive if the vehicle you buy has been swimming and any water has found its way into the transmission of diffs. Take care.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rob wilson View Post
    I do not know why, but I only yesterday saw a FB thread 'The 10 cars you do not want to buy', or something like that, and there is was. Audi Q5 at the top of the do not buy list, followed by a slew of Jeep products, US sourced cars (including recent Ford F250 models), Subaru's (a couple, but notably the Outlander.). Reasons were given, so have fun looking. No Toyotas, local Fords, Isuzus, Pajero's, Nissans, Renaults or Land Rovers (phew!) were on the list.

Looking for an SUV around R200,000 I would not hesitate to look at a Prado with a petrol engine and automatic box. I would scratch off turbos diesels with high mileage and would not consider anything with CVT or dual clutch transmission. Even then, it could get expensive if the vehicle you buy has been swimming and any water has found its way into the transmission of diffs. Take care.
    Seems like the most sensible choice would be a Nissan Np300 Hardbody with a 2.4 Donkey petrol.
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swambo’s sportscar/ mommy taxi)

Get a Patrol

Shalom
    Walk by FAITH not by sight
    1995 Patrol 4.2 SGL
    ARB Bullbar
    ProComp Extreme AT 31x10.5
    OME
    Snomaster 60L
    Overlander Trailer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jules For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the information guys.
    Toyota Prado. I see alot of these on the market with mileage in the upper 200k region, retailing between R180k to R220k. Are these still being run in or is the high mileage something to be wary about?

Been looking at the fortuners as well. But its just the high jacking and theft that turns me off...
    Last edited by Darknight; 2019/08/12 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks for all the information guys.
    Toyota Prado. I see alot of these on the market with mileage in the upper 200k region, retailing between R180k to R220k. Are these still being run in or is the high mileage something to be wary about?

Been looking at the fortuners as well. But its just the high jacking and theft that turns me off...
    I recently considered the Pajero Sport vs Fortuner. Eventually it was the Fortuner that came out tops for me. I am still a bit concerned about the risk in terms of theft, etc. but the pros outway the risk.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevensJF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    ... there is a type of parrot endimic to New Zealand called the Kia.
    When settlers introduced sheep, the Kia had found a new food source and would park off on the sheep's rump facing backwards, peck a hole in the sheep's rump and happily keep the wound bleeding while it fed.
    It's probably just me but whenever I see a kia or a pajero...
    It's actually a Kea:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kea

Quote Originally Posted by StevensJF View Post
    I recently considered the Pajero Sport vs Fortuner. Eventually it was the Fortuner that came out tops for me. I am still a bit concerned about the risk in terms of theft, etc. but the pros outway the risk.
    My sister and friend have Fortuners. One is a 2015 4x2 auto, the other is a 2007 4x4 manual. Both great cars, the 2007 has a tjm lift which makes it very capable off road.

The 2007 is currently sitting at 280 000km. Drives like a dream with just usual maintenance. We just did a trip this weekend to Sutherland and Tankwa.

Name:  IMG-20190811-WA0279.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  106.3 KB

We do a lot of work in Calvinia. There you see Fords, Toyota and Isuzu. So if that's what the farmers and locals drive then you know they must be reliable. Granted they are all bakkies.... Still parts wise that's going to be the easiest to get.
    Last edited by Walnut; 2019/08/13 at 07:48 AM.

Seen on Facebook
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C 4x2
    2014 Kia Koup T-GDi

EX: 2007 Lexus IS250SE,1993 Ford Sapphire 5.0 V8,2007 Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C,2001 Hilux 2.7 Raider D/C

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigJ For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3