4l v6 Petrol Pump

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 4l v6 Petrol Pump

Good day Gents

I have a 2009 Hilux 4l v6. Petrol pump is busy going apparently according to Toyota when I asked them to check.
    Quoted me R10500 to replace the pump.
    Phoning around to get prices for new pump, there is 2 part numbers that was available. Toyota now only have 1 part number available for the pump which costs R5271.00 the other part that has the housing.
    The other part that was available for R1700 or there about is not available anymore, seems like Toyota has realised the pump prices differs a lot and stopped making that part available. I phoned 2 Toyota garages and they both say that part number is not available.

Where will I find somebody that can supply a petrol pump that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.. any help or suggestions would really be welcome.
    Forgot to mention, Gemini doesn't have stock and cant give a price till stock has arrived in 2 to 3 weeks time

Thank you very much
    Philly
    Last edited by Philly; 2016/06/15 at 02:33 PM.
    Name:Phillip de Bruin
    Nickname: Philly
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

Default Re: 4l v6 Petrol Pump

I am in the same boat Philly. I ordered the fuel housing part over 3 months ago and have been dealing with toyota SA on what to do next.

The housing part that includes the pump has stopped being supplied to toyota SA and they are currently looking for a new supplier. Once one is found then tests have to be run on the part to make sure they are happy to put their name on it.

The original Denso pump that Gemini can supply when stock comes in will set you back R4000. Cheaper than toyota but still a kick in the teeth.

I believe you can get a bosch pump and with a bit of modification it will fit and at a much reduced price to original.

Otherwise you have to wait for gemini or pay toyota.

I even looked at getting one imported from Australia as the cost of the pump was around R1600 for the original denso. But after import duties and courier costs it wasn't worth it.

If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.
    May your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay

What about an universal inline pump? Good ones go for about R500- R1000
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Hi Scooter

Thanks for the feed back. I more or less got to the same conclusion as you...

Hi Reenen

That is an option, but don't want to modify or change anything on the bakkie. I am looking at selling end off the year or early next year and don't want to sell my bakkie with mods or something that is not standard on it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Phillip
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Good day Gents

I have a 2009 Hilux 4l v6. Petrol pump is busy going apparently according to Toyota when I asked them to check.
    Quoted me R10500 to replace the pump.
    Phoning around to get prices for new pump, there is 2 part numbers that was available. Toyota now only have 1 part number available for the pump which costs R5271.00 the other part that has the housing.
    The other part that was available for R1700 or there about is not available anymore, seems like Toyota has realised the pump prices differs a lot and stopped making that part available. I phoned 2 Toyota garages and they both say that part number is not available.

Where will I find somebody that can supply a petrol pump that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.. any help or suggestions would really be welcome.
    Forgot to mention, Gemini doesn't have stock and cant give a price till stock has arrived in 2 to 3 weeks time

Thank you very much
    Philly
    Try OLX or scrap-yards for 2nd-hand spares. I have a 4.0ltr Prado - when the fuel pump went I found a guy stripping a accident damaged vehicle. Running that pump 2yrs now - no hassles & it cost me R2k

For the grind: 2012 Corolla 1.3
    For the love: 2003 Prado 120 4.0ltr V6
    For the wife: 2000 Prado 90 3.4ltr V6

Hi Guys. Just a update.

I found a replacement petrol pump for R296.40. This is a replacement part from Midas just the pump and filter. (I recall that on another thread there is somebody that found the exact same thing, Bosch replacement part). The one I found is however not Bosch. Anyways, much better than paying R5250 from Toyota or R10500 for them to replace the pump.

Any ways I bought the pump and Friday replaced the pump. Was a whole day job, and it was more difficult taking the extended tank out and putting it back in than the normal tank. The reason that I had to take the extended tank out was, I just could not get to the clamps of the main inlet pipe. Was not double jointed enough..

Replacing the pump was very easy, only thing that had to be done on the pump was to swop the pipes from the old one to the new as the new pipes was to short. Oh and loosening the pump retainer is a bit of a mission as well.. We ended up using the ends of a shelving rack with 2 nuts and bolts, they fit between the ribs, both of us sat on tank. 1 positioned the "tool" and pushed down on the both the tool and retainer, while the other slowly loosened the retainer.
    We managed to break a few ribs on the retainer while tightening again. It has to be seriously tightened again.

After all was back in and bolted down etc.. my bakkie is 100% sorted!!
    I do have a full service manual, that helps a heap lot.. takes bit of time to look for whatever you need. But when you use it, it really is worth the time to go through it step by step.

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures, but the manual is more than efficient to follow.
    Really happy with end result. It is more than possible to do this job by yourself and a buddy. With the help of the manual. And there is a huge difference between R296.40 and R10500!!
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

Thanks for the update Philly. Glad you got it sorted. At that price it's well worth trying the pump and if it konks in after a year it's cheap enough to replace or then make the decision to get a denso for the higher price.

I will be visiting toyota today for a refund on the part I ordered over three months ago and will visit midas next to them and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Thanks for the update Philly. Glad you got it sorted. At that price it's well worth trying the pump and if it konks in after a year it's cheap enough to replace or then make the decision to get a denso for the higher price.

I will be visiting toyota today for a refund on the part I ordered over three months ago and will visit midas next to them and check it out.
    Hey Scooter.

If you don't come right with your Midas I have a number for you in Randburg. As well as the Hilux workshop manual, just inbox me and we can sort it out.
    Good Luck.
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

Hi all. Ive been following a lot of these petrol pump threads seeing that mine is also on its way out. Ive ordered a pump with housing from toyota about two weeks ago with the same story about the stock availability. I phoned them today to enquire and after they phoned me back got news that the shipment with new pumps has arrived in Durbs. They informed me that it will arrive later this week and hopefully my v6 will get sorted next week!

Copper Top, care to share which dealership you got the info from? My local, monument toyota, have no such info and their system shows nil in stock.

Hi all.
    I have a 2009 V6. What are the symptoms that a pump is on its way out?

Also, if I may ask if I could also get a copy of the manual, I willreally appreciate it, as I do not want to take my car unnecessarily to Toyota.
    Thanks

Hi Guys. Sorry should have thought that Toyota dealers al run on the same system. Gues not. I got helped by Toyota barloworld centurion. Must say they really provided good service up to now and really took effort in contacting the Durban guys directly and made them check their stock. They phoned me today and notified me that the part has arrived and I made a booking for Monday for it to be fitted. I spoke to Mark en Johnathan.

The symtoms are discussed all over the forums but basically involves hesitations through the rev range under acceleration and more time to start after being parked for a while and warmed up. Must say mine appeared out of the blue and deteriorated quite rapidly. Even swambo started complaining about it now.

Thanks Copper top. I shall give barloworld a call. Monument toyota here just look at the system and say there is nothing and don't lift a finger to dial a number and try find the part.

That is left up to the customer.

As for symptoms, yes a surge/hesitation between 2000 and 3000 rpm is the most common and means the power is compromised in the lower rev range and unless you drive above 3000rpm all the time it can get quite annoying.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Is this a common problem on the V6 ? at +- how many km does this occur. Im looking at possibly getting a FJ so just doing lots of homework first.

It seems to be a common problem with the v6 and in some cases linked to the addition of an auxiliary tank.

Personally I have only had my v6 since January and it was all fine when I took ownership. It only started a few months later. My vehicle has done around 235k so I really don't believe it has to do with the auxiliary tank on mine or it would have happened earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by trev1136 View Post
    Is this a common problem on the V6 ? at +- how many km does this occur. Im looking at possibly getting a FJ so just doing lots of homework first.
    Here's a thread for you. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...s-(or-dislikes-)
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    It seems to be a common problem with the v6 and in some cases linked to the addition of an auxiliary tank.

Personally I have only had my v6 since January and it was all fine when I took ownership. It only started a few months later. My vehicle has done around 235k so I really don't believe it has to do with the auxiliary tank on mine or it would have happened earlier.
    Do you have an auxiliary tank? I drove my FJ with the auxiliary tank for 3 years (70 000km) then only it started with the symptoms of the clogged fuel pump.
    Last edited by JJP; 2016/07/28 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trev1136 View Post
    Perhaps look for an FJ with the auxiliary tank as standard option, 2013+ models came standard with auxiliary tank.

Yes I do have an auxiliary tank but I find it hard to blame the tank after 235000 km. Seems more likely to me to just be plain old wear and tear.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast