Default Help in Day Planning at Moremi and Savuti

Hi everyone!

I will be traveling through Botswana during July 18th and 24th.

as expected, I failed as a planner, and couldn’t manage to establish a day schedule during my trip.

Therefore, I would like your help in order to suggest what I should go during this time.

Specially at Khwai community, I not sure how far I can go and come back on the same day, and which are the good spots.

The route is as folllows:

Date - Starting point Camp
    July 18th - The Old Bridge Camp
    July 19th - KAZIIKINI Camp
    July 20th - Kwai Community
    July 21th - Kwai Community
    July 22th - Kwai Community
    July 23th - Mwandi View
    July 24th - Mwandi View

any hints?

thank you very much!

Default Re: Help in Day Planning at Moremi and Savuti

We literally drove from North Gate to Maun and back through South Gate in order to refuel and restock so I’d say you can do a fair amount of driving and viewing inside Moremi provided you get an early start.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    We literally drove from North Gate to Maun and back through South Gate in order to refuel and restock so I’d say you can do a fair amount of driving and viewing inside Moremi provided you get an early start.
    Hi Roberto,

thanks for your answer.
    you did this North-South Gate on a daily basis?
    I’m quite new in all this, but is some must go spots for a game drive in this region?

Thanks,

Caio

I managed to define a rough schedule:

Day:--------Starting Point:------------------------------
    Day plan:----------------------------------------------------Ending point:
    July 18th--The Old Bridge Camp------Xinii Laggon/
    Black Pools/Bodumatau Loop ( Maybe, check road status)---------KAZIIKINI Camp-
    July 19th--KAZIIKINI Camp-----------Third Bridge/
    Xakanaxa/Bodumatau Loop again ? (Maybe, check road status)---Kwai Community
    July 20th--Kwai Community-----------Dombo Hippo Pools (dry route)/
    Xakanaxa------------------------------------------Kwai Community
    July 21th--Kwai Community-----------Kwai River (Where to go?)-----------------------------------------------------------Kwai Community
    July 22th--Kwai Community------------Savuti/
    Marsh/Motsibi/Rhinovlei/Leopard Rock/Marabou Pan----------------------Mwandi View

Please, give me your thoughts... It is too much for the days? Any special points in the areas mentioned?
    Also, regarding Bodumatau Loop, does anyone has updates?

Thanks a lot,

Caio
    Last edited by dantas; 2019/07/05 at 05:31 AM. Reason: failure in table

Quote Originally Posted by dantas View Post
    Hi Roberto,

thanks for your answer.
    you did this North-South Gate on a daily basis?
    I’m quite new in all this, but is some must go spots for a game drive in this region?

Thanks,

Caio
    Hi

Not every day and I would not recommend it.

On a 12 day trip to Moremi and Chobe around September during dry season we travel to Maun twice.

1: Third Bridge - South Gate - Maun - South Gate - Third Bridge
    2: North Gate - South Gate - Maun - South Gate - North Gate.

This is purely to restock and refuel as we do a fair amount of driving around the reserves mainly in the vicinity of each camp we stay in.

What takes up drive time is outside the reserve from South Gate to Maun. The road can be quite treacherous if not graded particularly from the Vet fence (in-between South Gate and Maun) to Maun.

Friends of ours have taken a day trip from Third Bridge to South Gate (to visit Black Pools) and back very comfortably so it is possible to go quite deep into More and back provided you don't go to Maun then it will be a long day. As mentioned, you would need to start early incase you run into problems, water crossings or come across interesting wildlife.

July 21th--Kwai Community-----------Kwai River (Where to go?)-----------------------------------------------------------Kwai Community
    Marsh/Motsibi/Rhinovlei/Leopard Rock/Marabou Pan----------------------Mwandi View

Please, give me your thoughts... It is too much for the days? Any special points in the areas mentioned?

Thanks a lot,

Caio
    There's also Elephant Highway. It's been a while since I was there so I can't recall if it's in Moremi or Chobe. We saw a fair amount of elephant and a lion pride with cubs once. I would have to check my Veronica Roodt Shell guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    On a 12 day trip to Moremi and Chobe around September during dry season we travel to Maun twice.

1: Third Bridge - South Gate - Maun - South Gate - Third Bridge
    2: North Gate - South Gate - Maun - South Gate - North Gate.

This is purely to restock and refuel as we do a fair amount of driving around the reserves mainly in the vicinity of each camp we stay in.
    Just curious about two trips back to Maun for restocking. 12 days trip to Moremi and Chobe can be done without going back and forth to Maun. If you planned your fuel well and food, with a fridge, no need for going back and forth.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Just curious about two trips back to Maun for restocking. 12 days trip to Moremi and Chobe can be done without going back and forth to Maun. If you planned your fuel well and food, with a fridge, no need for going back and forth.
    We do a lot of driving, early morning to lunch and mid afternoon to late evening every single day with a fully loaded vehicle. Back seat of vehicle is fully occupied with two large clothing bags and two 32L camera bags so there’s little space for anything else. Three quarters of time is spent in Moremi and there’s no way you can get to Savuti for three to four nights then back to Maun without refueling with amount of driving we do. We’ve always ended up returning to Maun the third time to fly back home on the smell of an oil rag.

Edit: btw, I recall on the 12 day trip being promised double fuel tank from rental company, get to Maun and it’s single. With campsites, park fees etc booked you can’t exactly sit and wait for another vehicle.
    Last edited by Roberto Betta; 2019/07/05 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks a lot,

Caio

Hi, I would skip Bodumatau on July 18. Just do it on July 19 to 3rd Bridge and or Xakanaxa. You may also skip 3rd Bridge on the way to Khwai. It will be a bit in a rush, as I understand your\'re driving from Kaziikini to Khwai. I find Bodumatau a jewel, we drove it last year June in about half a day. Some shallow watercrossings necessary. Hardly any other traffic. But conditions can change so inform yourself locally. And you start ca an hour drive from South Gate so start early.
    Along the Khwai river there are nice gamedrives if you keep close to the river, direction Maghotho.
    Beware you don't take the deep pool near North Gate/Kwai but drive around. Last year the deep pool was indicated/blocked.
    Take a boat tour from Xakanaxa across the lagoon (2 hrs or so).
    Savuti: sounds good. We explored the marsh for a day but we had more time (and it did not deliver much sights). You have to be lucky.
    Good trip
    Hendrik

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendrikk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrikk View Post
    Hi, I would skip Bodumatau on July 18. Just do it on July 19 to 3rd Bridge and or Xakanaxa. You may also skip 3rd Bridge on the way to Khwai. It will be a bit in a rush, as I understand your\'re driving from Kaziikini to Khwai. I find Bodumatau a jewel, we drove it last year June in about half a day. Some shallow watercrossings necessary. Hardly any other traffic. But conditions can change so inform yourself locally. And you start ca an hour drive from South Gate so start early.
    Along the Khwai river there are nice gamedrives if you keep close to the river, direction Maghotho.
    Beware you don't take the deep pool near North Gate/Kwai but drive around. Last year the deep pool was indicated/blocked.
    Take a boat tour from Xakanaxa across the lagoon (2 hrs or so).
    Savuti: sounds good. We explored the marsh for a day but we had more time (and it did not deliver much sights). You have to be lucky.
    Good trip
    Hendrik
    Hi Hendrik, thanks for your help.

I adjusted the planning based on your suggestions.

I tried to add a image with it, hopefully it works.

On July 18th I will leave from Maun and go through Xini Lagoon and Black Pools. And return to Kazikini.

On July 19th from Kazikini to KhWai Magotho, I may go through bodumatau loop and xakanaxa, is that reasonable?

On July 20th from Magotho to Dombo Hippo Pools and xakanaxa, and back to Magotho.

On July 21th explore Khwai river as you said (before or after north gate?) and return.

Seems reasonable?

Thank you very much!

Caio

Yes this is as I suggested. Exploring Khwai river is on the North side (outside Moremi) but there are possibilities on the other side too.
    Near Xakanaxa you can also visit Paradise Pools.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendrikk For This Useful Post: