Advice on recently purchased used 2016 Pajero 3.2 LWB GLS

Question Advice on recently purchased used 2016 Pajero 3.2 LWB GLS

So having only owned small manual hatchbacks in the past I just purchased my first diesel, auto and 4x4: a 2016 Pajero 3.2 LWB GLS with 160,000km on the clock. Paid for an inspection by Bosch and everything checked out. All is however new to me and I'm not technical and looking for some advise on the following:

1. Should the cruise control work going downhill - I assume it should. I was driving down Van Reenens Pass and set it at 80km/hr? It did not keep to this speed. Did not speed up but it did not brake and given the downhill I ended up having to brake as went over 100km/hr. Is this normal or perhaps I am doing something incorrectly. I engage cruise control through turning it on using the steering wheel controls and then set the coast speed. I dont touch the brake or any other controls and on the downhill the speed increased (not through the engine but rather given the incline) without the the gears or brake keeping the speed close to the 80km/hr I set.
    2. Moving between park and reverse (both ways - up and down) is not smooth and there is a loud knock as I change. This is intermittent and has happened a few times since purchasing it a few days ago. Someone told me that it could perhaps be if the car is sitting on the gear when in park but Im not technical and not sure if this is the case. My foot is on the brake and parked on flat surface. I push in the button on the gear lever and change from park to reverse. It goes in but its there is a loud knock and the car jolts. There is a large and noticeable difference from other gear changes. This does not happen with other gear selections but only as I say both ways between park and reverse. Given it is intermittent what and how is the best way for me to gain satisfaction that there is no issue with this. Want to know if there is a reason for this and if it is normal. I did take it to a gearbox company but they said its fine as the issue was not present at the time and I should take it back when it happens again.
    3. Are there parking sensors in the front? I cant find any and there is no beeping when testing it and dont see that they have any in the manual so I assume not.
    4. Any tips to conserve the brakes? Heard Pajeros go through them quickly. Clearly driving style and try avoid hard sudden braking. Anything else e.g. should I move gears to manual and set it to one gear when going downhill etc...
    5. The gearbox mounting was changed: on the invoice it says 019547/insulator; T/M Mou. Should this be any concern. Was advised this was done as there was a vibrating sound.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Advice on recently purchased used 2016 Pajero 3.2 LWB GLS

On the clunking auto from park to reverse - my autos only do that if the vehicles have parked on an incline and the handbrake doesnt hold them properly so they sit on the gear, ie, if I put it in park, pull the handbrake up (but not enough), and then when I let go the foot brake the car moves a bit until the gear holds it on the incline. If that happens, then yes, there is a clunk/jolt when I move it from park to reverse. Make sure there is no movement of the vehicle once you take your foot off the brake. Then start it and try, there shouldnt be any clunk then.
    Actually, I also sometimes get a bit of a clunk with the first early morning start - if the revs are still a little too high. Is yours idling at normal, lowish rpm, when you go from park to reverse?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Congratulations on your purchase.
    1) No, the cruise control doesn't slow you down on a downhill run. You will have to brake, which disengages the cruise, or you can slip the gear selector to manual and drop to a lower gear.
    2) The occasional clunk when shifting from P to R is normal, but not nice. It it caused when the gearbox holds the car stationary and not the handbrake. I used to avoid this when stopping by firstly putting the gear selector to N, (while obviously applying the foot brake) and then pulled up the handbrake. Only once I'm convinced that the car is held stationary by the handbrake, would I select P.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2019/07/04 at 10:29 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Graham, my cellphone typing speed let my down

Dustin, you've bought a great car with renowned reliability but they are ultimately not the most refined.

1) As mentioned cruise will not slow you down on a descent. If you want to control your speed and stay off the brakes on a pass for example then switch to tiptronic (manual) and select a lower gear.
    2) The park to reverse can be clunky as you say (normal) but this tends to happen if you park on an incline/decline and you engage P prior to the handbrake. Pull the hand-brake up first and then select P, should solve your concern. In general these boxes are a bit slow when switching between the modes so pause for half a sec to let it engage when selecting D/R (esp in cold mornings).
    3) No parking sensors up front. As a side note, if you are ever going to tow, the parking sensor has two modes (with trailer and without) and you can find in your manual how to change between the two. Annoying beeping may happen in reverse if you don't select the trailer option.
    4) My wear doesn't seem that bad except in the bush where the constant Traction Control in thick sand tends to abuse them a bit (you can put a switch in to disengage this completely). But yes premeditation will probably be your best bet and select manual when downhill. It's a heavy car at the end of the day.
    5) If just the mountings then nothing to worry about as they are somewhat normal wear and tear items on these cars (bonus they were replaced early).

Enjoy the car. Cheers

Thumbs up Re: Advice on recently purchased used 2016 Pajero 3.2 LWB GLS

Thanks all for the prompt and informative advice. Really appreciate it. Enjoying my Pajero👍

To explain the parking procedure in a little more detail:
    What I do is, once I come to a complete stop using the foot-brake, I put the vehicle in Neutral, and apply the handbrake. Then I release the foot-brake and wait for the vehicle to settle. After that, I again apply the foot-brake and quickly shift the vehicle into park (making sure Reverse isn't engaged). I then switch off the vehicle and release the foot-brake.

I also never shift from Reverse directly into Drive, or vice-versa. I always shift from Drive into Neutral, then into Reverse and vice-versa.

With regards to the brakes: I haven't really noticed my vehicle going through brakes very quickly. I've done more than 80 000km on my current set of brakes, and at my last service with Henk, he said I still have a bit to go on them. Granted, I'm definitely not heavy on the brakes, and I don't drive my vehicle hard at all, but that's acceptable wear if you ask me.
    Iwan
    2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD SWB (Gen4)
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 2.8TD D/C 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Dustin, you've bought a great car with renowned reliability but they are ultimately not the most refined.

1) As mentioned cruise will not slow you down on a descent. If you want to control your speed and stay off the brakes on a pass for example then switch to tiptronic (manual) and select a lower gear.

Enjoy the car. Cheers
    Just wondering, does the manual version behave differently? My 2015 Pajero Sport MT actually slows down on a downhill to keep the speed to set speed. Or the Sport works differently altogether?

My manual triton also slows down on downhill.Never noticed with my paj auto though.

My Pajero did not brake on downhills with cruise control, as mentioned, change to tiptronic and gear down. On my auto PS, it also does not slow you when on cruise control. Only vehicle I've had that kept you at the selected speed was a C class.

Pajero brakes lasted me about 45-50000km, be religious with disks. Skim once then replace, they caused me a bit a of grief (to be fair, the only grief) when I had mine, terrible brake shudder when going down passes.

Mine had a similar clunk from park to reverse, all it takes is the slightest incline. Have the handbrake adjusted, and it's good a for a few thousand kms, then back to the clunk. I got used to it.

I don't believe front PDC was an option.

Enjoy the van. Do the required maintenance, and (my opinion) stick to dealers. So few workshops know these vehicles, and one bad incident cured me of trying to save on the dealer rates.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    ...... be religious with disks. Skim once then replace, they caused me a bit a of grief (to be fair, the only grief) when I had mine, terrible brake shudder when going down passes.......
    I also battled with brake shudder from the front discs but never experience excessive wear on the pad. However, changed to Power Brake up front and have never looked back.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

The Mitsu Pajero is a great car, underated in this country. Good value as well, with 5 year service plan. Enjoy the vehicle.

If you park on a slope and and there is any pressure on the gearbox you will have the clunk when you change out of park. Rather let the handbrake take the strain. I have the same experience if park it and push the gear lever into park before the car is stopped 100% by the handbrake. Moving from reverse to park shouldn't clunk unless the car is off and you have done the same thing as above, come to rest in the gear.
    If the vehicle is dead still on a level surface and the handbrake is up, you should only feel the clicking of the gear shifter when you move through the gearbox.

Brake pad wear is what it is, heavy foot = heavy wear. They will wear faster than a light hatchback no matter what you do. I replace pads at about a 2:1 (Front:Back) ratio.

Never noticed the speedo cruise braking on a downhill, Van Reenens was so busy when I went over it a few weeks ago, you had to drive it manually.

There are no parking sensors in the front. There are however little headlight washers in the front.

I wouldn't worry about a gearbox mount that had been replaced.

Enjoy.