Zambia to Kigoma then Kigali

Default Zambia to Kigoma then Kigali

Good Evening

Has anyone crossed from Zambia to Tanzania via the Mbala border? We plan to cross travelling from Mpika to Sumbawanga. Is this possible in one day and what are the road conditions like? Also how are the roads to Kigoma? We plan to end up in Kigali...any input is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Zambia to Kigoma then Kigali

I did this trip a few years ago. You are welcome to send me your email address - will send my travelogue to you

We too drove the opposite way (i.e. north to south) in 2014 crossing from Tanzania to Zambia at the border crossing not that far from Mbala. I would say that Mpika to Sumbawanga in one day is a long way with a border crossing too.

Here is the link to a recent discussion on this forum almost exactly about what you are asking. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...odge-to-Kigoma

Safari njema!

Quote Originally Posted by Tent Guy View Post
    Good Evening

Has anyone crossed from Zambia to Tanzania via the Mbala border? We plan to cross travelling from Mpika to Sumbawanga. Is this possible in one day and what are the road conditions like? Also how are the roads to Kigoma? We plan to end up in Kigali...any input is greatly appreciated.
    Yes. We crossed there last year.

I think you'd be hard pressed to do that in a day. At just over 500km that is a long haul. The road from Mpika to Mbala town is tarmac and in good shape. You can't go too fast though due to the speed limit, 100kph, and slowing down through various towns and villages. The road from Mbala to the border post is not paved and not graded, or at least not when we dove it. Slow going, particularly if it's wet.

-From the M1/M2 Junction in Mbala town to the border post took us 1h 15m. I'm sure you could drive it faster, but there you go.
    -Border took us 1 hour
    -Border to Sumbawanga took us 2h 40m. Something like tarmac graded gaval/marram in good condition.

There are a few places to camp in Mpulungu if you need a place to stop.

The B8 from Sumbawanga to Mpanda is new tarmac, but still slow going as the speed limits are strictly enforced and you have to slow to 50kph through ever village, and there are A LOT of villages, so it seems you are going 50kph as often as you aren't. Roadworks continue for quite a ways north of Mpanda towards Kigoma. I don't know how far they've got, but in June 2018 for reference Mpanda to Jacobson's beach in Kigoma took us 7h 40m with few stops. You're either driving slow through roadworks or slow through graded marram/gravel roads that have enough pot holes to keep you from going too fast

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post: