Kruger South - Skukuza and Croc Bridge (mid July) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Kruger South - Skukuza and Croc Bridge (mid July)

Yeah, i'm not to phased about traffic jams.. will move along rather.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

douglash, go and enjoy your time there. 8)

For a weekend the south is fine. And you are almost guaranteed great sightings and not all sightings necessarily have a traffic jam.

And if you do encounter a traffic jam; hang back, pull over, chill and do some bird watching, just switch off your car, open your windows, breath the air and listen to the bush. It still beats the city hands down.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/03 at 07:54 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    hang back, pull over, chill and do some bird watching, just switch off your car, open your windows, breath the air and listen to the bush. It still beats the city hands down.
    Oh, I have zero issues with sitting and doing nothing for a while... haha.. thanks!
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    I don't suppose there are any 4x4 ONLY tracks around the area?
    I have done two of them before and honestly, not worth the money. There is not much 4x4 as such and no more guarantee of game than anywhere else.

Skukusa to croc bridge will deliver more sightings than just about any other stretch.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I have done two of them before and honestly, not worth the money. There is not much 4x4 as such and no more guarantee of game than anywhere else.

Skukusa to croc bridge will deliver more sightings than just about any other stretch.
    Thanks for that. Good thing we moving accommodation then overnight.. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Don't go and play golf if you're only there for two nights! The S21 between the H1-4 (Skukuza - Lower Sabie road) and H3 (Skukuza - Malelane road) is beautiful. Nkumbe viewpoint between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane is a must! The deck at Mugg & Bean at Lower Sabie is often the scene of magnificent sightings, even big cats. You can exit your car at Granokop ~15kms south of Skukuza and the 360 views are lovely.

Spot on, totally agree.

Don't worry, definitely not going to be playing golf anyways...

As the one that mentioned the golf course...I agree that a quick pop in to Kruger is not the opportune time for a round. But in any event, do yourself a favour and still go there for a breakfast.

In 2011, we saw a leopard strolling casually across the parking lot at the golf course.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    As the one that mentioned the golf course...I agree that a quick pop in to Kruger is not the opportune time for a round. But in any event, do yourself a favour and still go there for a breakfast.

In 2011, we saw a leopard strolling casually across the parking lot at the golf course.
    Was reading some reviews, some say the breakfast and service was not that good.

Have you been? I'm keen to go, but also don't want to waste what little time I have..

As I have said on other threads before we do prefer the mid to northern parts of KNP.

However, going as we do, off-season (read pensioner discount time) we do also appreciate the south - in spite of many vehicles.
    We find Croc Bridge a great entry point coming from KZN via Swazi and will frequently spend at least one and usually two nights there.
    Nice drives not too far and also a good route toward Malelane side. Tar road up towards Lower Sabi is usually good for sightings.

Not great on Lower Sabi as a campsite though but nice viewing and scenery around there.
    Nothing wrong with campsites, but the formal layout and formally demarcated sites are just not my thing.

Likewise Skukuza facilities great - just too commercialized, civilized and although excellent routes around, Lake Panic good for birds and a surprise or so but usually very busy with visitors - a bit too ... well you get the idea.
    Visit the information areas in the camp - very informative.

Do not write-off Pretoriuskop if looking at the south. Interesting drives close by and not quite as popular as other camps in that area so usually easier to get into booking-wise.
    Wild dogs around, honey badgers, and all the usual culprits.

Some interesting birds - even in camp.

Mid July (after school holidays) is a great time.
    ENJOY!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Was reading some reviews, some say the breakfast and service was not that good.

Have you been? I'm keen to go, but also don't want to waste what little time I have..
    Not sure how you plan to get to Skukuza, but on day 2 take the rd down to Lower Sabie, it always produces and you have the choice of just tar or taking the dirt rd loops along the way.

Lower Sabie has one of the best food choices now with A full on Mugg and Bean or the takeaway option and a good choice of on the move foods from the shop, including game biltong, and interesting stuff in jars. Yum.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    ENJOY!
    Thanks Peter, except everywhere is fully booked!!! You'd think it would be quieter... anyways, will take what we can get.

Not sure how you plan to get to Skukuza, but on day 2 take the rd down to Lower Sabie, it always produces and you have the choice of just tar or taking the dirt rd loops along the way.

Lower Sabie has one of the best food choices now with A full on Mugg and Bean or the takeaway option and a good choice of on the move foods from the shop, including game biltong, and interesting stuff in jars. Yum.
    Plan on going in through Numbi gate on the Friday afternoon... then perhaps do the golf course breakfast en route down to Croc bridge for the 2nd night... need to see where Lower Sabie fits into the picture.

Thanks!
    Last edited by douglash; 2019/07/09 at 01:39 PM.

Is this a strategic comment to divert from the north? Or should we call you a traitor?

Thanks Peter, except everywhere is fully booked!!! You'd think it would be quieter... anyways, will take what we can get.

Plan on going in through Numbi gate on the Friday afternoon... then perhaps do the golf course breakfast en route down to Croc bridge for the 2nd night... need to see where Lower Sabie fits into the picture.

Thanks!
    Just make sure the Numbi road is open (unrets). Check on SANPARKS website close to the time, or with locals.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Just make sure the Numbi road is open (unrets). Check on SANPARKS website close to the time, or with locals.
    Just called Phabeni now as Numbi line is dead.

Phabeni is open and so is Numbi. So might go in either or. Depends on the time as we want to try find a specific farm in Hazyview on the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Is this a strategic comment to divert from the north? Or should we call you a traitor?
    SSHHH, we all know the South has sooo much more animals than the North.

BMW R1200R

Remember new bookings open every morning where deposits have not been paid these spots become available

So get up early and scan the sites

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    As I have said on other threads before we do prefer the mid to northern parts of KNP.

However, going as we do, off-season (read pensioner discount time) we do also appreciate the south - in spite of many vehicles.
    We find Croc Bridge a great entry point coming from KZN via Swazi and will frequently spend at least one and usually two nights there.
    Nice drives not too far and also a good route toward Malelane side. Tar road up towards Lower Sabi is usually good for sightings.

Not great on Lower Sabi as a campsite though but nice viewing and scenery around there.
    Nothing wrong with campsites, but the formal layout and formally demarcated sites are just not my thing.

Likewise Skukuza facilities great - just too commercialized, civilized and although excellent routes around, Lake Panic good for birds and a surprise or so but usually very busy with visitors - a bit too ... well you get the idea.
    Visit the information areas in the camp - very informative.

Do not write-off Pretoriuskop if looking at the south. Interesting drives close by and not quite as popular as other camps in that area so usually easier to get into booking-wise.
    Wild dogs around, honey badgers, and all the usual culprits.

Some interesting birds - even in camp.

ENJOY!
    Lower Sabie is the worst Campsite in any National Park by MILES..best time is Late Aug beginning Sept ..Opening times in July are too early and out of Pensioners Discount .. The camps we stay at are Punda Maria, Shingwedzi, Tsendze, Balule and Marula
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/07/09 at 03:49 PM.

SSHHH, we all know the South has sooo much more animals than the North.
    Not Really ..The North has Eland , Tssessebe, Sharpes Grysbok, Roan , Biggest Pride of lions in Kruger and probably the Planet and the Biggest Tuskers and Biggest buffalo herds and largest trophy Buff not too mention the Birdlife and more scenic roads..Try finding that stuff at Skukuza, Lower sabie or Satara
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/07/09 at 03:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast