Cheers Trailblazer, Hello MUX - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Cheers Trailblazer, Hello MUX

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    My TB doesn't allow for killing of running lights either. Open click is for all doors
    Roelf, just a setting under Vehicle Settings. I changed mine to unlock drivers door only with the first click. The TB however only allows vehicle settings to be changed when the vehicle is stationary, if in motion changing vehicle settings is disabled.
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

Jaco, I can honestly say - and I have searched - that I have never heard or read about the VM motor fail in the TB application. It is also not only the output and throttle response that was always impressive, but its free - spinning nature. It made me drive harder at times than I should have driven a diesel but will say that when I said goodbye to mine, the motor was still like the day it was born.

In fact, it build speed so easily that mine had a speed limiter that stopped the fun exactly at 184 km/h. This I know from extensive internet research of course. Which means that technically you could get into trouble with your insurers if you fit AT tyres that only has a speed rating of 180 km/h.

Lots of failures of motors on other brands is well recorded on this forum and elsewhere, although I must say that I have equally not heard of a GD6, Amarok or Pajero failure. But this is dangerous territory, not the purpose of this thread.

The D-Max in the MUX is basically the Labrador of motors. Not lively, but it will grow on you till you love it like nothing else (I hope).

There still lives a very lively Yammie YZ250F under my roof, so if I need a bit of scary speed (and clean jocks), at least the cure is a twist of the throttle away.

Back to the temp gauges, somehow through the years of driving (about 1,5 million km's by now) I have settled into an open road habit - not by design though - of scanning temp gauge then fuel gauge, revs and speed in one go, then eyes back on the road. I probably repeat this once or twice every minute. My wife (no joke) will tell you I am neurotically obsessive compulsive something. But I think it is just an inherent reaction of being atuned to my vehicles.

I think there is actually a lot of guys with similiar patterns. My point being it is good thing I do not have an EGT gauge, I will not be able to look anywhere else.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Hi Jaconell, thanks for the detailed reviews and comparison love reading up on it!

Any comments on the offroad feel comparing the MUX with the TB? Dirt road driving and 4x4 stuff?
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

Alex, I do not do 4x4 obstacle courses etc, but find myself engaging 4x4 daily just to get to my office through some deep and loose sand (silica mine) and travel dirt extensively. So my remarks are based on this rather than any urges to storm the nearest clifface to see if I can make it to the top.

On dirt roads there is nothing between the TB and MUX. They are the same. In fact if I cover the badge on the steering and give you earplugs you will not know which one you are driving. I also sense no difference in how the TC intervenes. For my money it could be exactly the same software in both.

In thick sand (and this is very subjective) the TB felt more "floaty" and could go perhaps a little further than the MUX before having to engage 4x4. Could be because the TB had boots one size up (265 vs 255 also Pirelli ATR+ vs General Grabber AT2) and more torque. However taking off in deep sand is way easier in the MUX, but this is just because of auto box vs. manual in the TB. The MUX engage both 4x4 modes substantially quicker than the TB, especially when not moving. My TB always needed a few meters to hook up, whilst the MUX would engage even standing still, or at least, barely moving. Although both are tough 4x4's, they really are at their best on dirt roads. Then you realize what they are about. The MUX is however streets ahead in the NVH department. And not because my Chevy was getting old, the Isuzu is just better.

I filled Monday afternoon and again this afternoon. OBC tells me 11.8 [email protected] and fuelly say 12.2 [email protected] But my odo and trip UNDERREADS a bit, so the 11.8 is conservative but a very real indication of consumption. This would be about 50% open road, 25% urban and 25% dirt and minimal 4x4. This consumption by sticking to applicable speed limits and cruise control whenever possible.

I almost fainted when I saw MUX's being offered on the Isuzu thread at R 499 990. But these are 4x2 so I got my breathing under control again. I have done 4000 km's the past 3 weeks so my comparisons hopefully start making sense.

Biggest improvements vs TB

Cabin insulation
    Infotainment system
    Top gear cruising.

And it has a dealer network....... (TIC gents, I would like to stay on the TB side a bit longer please.....)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Thanks! Awesome review! Just a question what is NVH sorry if its a dumb question...

And that is really good fuel consumption for an engine still being "run in".
    Last edited by A1ex; 2019/07/17 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Thanks! Awesome review! Just a question what is NVH sorry if its a dumb question...

And that is really good fuel consumption for an engine still being "run in".
    Not a dumb question.

N (noise) V (vibration) H (harshness).

Keep in mind I took delivery on 22 500 km. And the previous owner clocked this in 9 months, mostly open road, so it should be fairly run in.

Coming back to NVH - for me it is how "cushioned" and "isolated" I feel in the cabin.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    The MUX is however streets ahead in the NVH department.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but NVH=?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiersman View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but NVH=?
    See post #66.

You guys now make me worry if the term NVH really exist......

Oops, sorry, did not see that you had already answered the question before I posted. I had started typing the question and then left the PC for a while to attend to some other tasks before completing it and posting it, never thought of checking if somebody else might have asked the same question in the meantime.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frontiersman For This Useful Post:

I use to have a very annoying problem with the TB - moist / water ingress in the rear light clusters. Now with the MUX the same. And I do not ford raging rivers. Anybody else experienced this?

Same on my TB. As a matter of fact I removed the covers last Saturday and resealed them myself, but the annoying problem is also present in the inside of the actual light itself as well. Mine only recently developed this issue.

Ek skat ek sal maar daarmee saamleef tot ek die TB eendag verkoop.

I use to have a very annoying problem with the TB - moist / water ingress in the rear light clusters. Now with the MUX the same. And I do not ford raging rivers. Anybody else experienced this?
    Nope...
    But I'll keep an eye on it.

I have had the same on my Isuzu D/C from spray too hard or too much water to clean mud off the under carriage near the tail gate lights, got the moisture out and then just sprayed near that area more carefully from then on, and hasn't happened again...

My right rear main tail light got moisture if the car was high pressure hosed. GM replaced it under warranty about 2 years back. No problems since.

I have just booked the MUX for its 30 000km service next week Friday (7500 km in the 1st 5 weeks. I need to buy a bakkie. Note to self). Have informed them that I expect a rear light replacement under warranty. Lets see......

Gents, I am keeping this thread going in the Chevy section instead of Isuzu, because I believe most prospective MUX buyers will eventually be coming out of TB's.

The news is not all good, but this is the purpose of this thread, and I will stick to my commitment.

First, the good:

The MUX does exactly what I require from my vehicle. It remains an effortless cruiser on the open road and is rock-steady on dirtroads (albeit very sensitive to tyre pressures - as is most 4x4's)

I have done the Ballito - Pretoria - Ballito run a few times now (8000 km in 6 weeks) and on this the following:

Fuel consumption on the "up-run" is about 1.5 l @ 100 km worse than the TB. I can only hazard a guess that this is because the superior torque of the TB made the long climbs in KZN with less effort. The "down-run" however is done at about 1 L @ 100 km less than the TB. I think the very long legs on the MUX mostly accounts for this.

Not so good:

On the long climbs out of KZN the autobox in the MUX hunts badly. I have quickly adapted to this and just lock it in 4th or 5th and then it is all good. Downhill the gradient logic is way too aggressive. As soon as you touch the brake pedal when coasting, it starts dropping gears. And it would do so until the revs sits at 4000. Once again easily remedied by going manual - which is a breeze. Just irritating.

Bad:

Collecting it from its 30 000 km service this past Friday, I was satisfied to see the right rear cluster replaced under warranty - as it was waterlogged, but then this was the minimum expectation. But here the fun started. When I collected the vehicle from the dealership post service, most staff vanished miraculously when I arrived - because they know me well after 10 years and there has been, well, "incidents" in the past. I smelt a rat straight away.

Mr Nell, we did not replace the airfilter because there is no stock. BUT WE DID BLOW IT CLEAN WITH THE COMPRESSOR AND REFITTED IT. We will have one next week and you can just pop in. I also blew - only my top. Understand that the MUX lives in Gauteng and only goes home once or twice a month. And I work in VERY dusty conditions. I choose to service it in KZN because I get home on Thursday evenings so I always book a Friday, and my wife then carts me around. Much more convenient than a Gauteng service.

As fate would have it, I forgot to book flights home this weekend on Monday, and by yesterday - because of the long weekend - return flights that are normally R950-00, is now selling at R 4000-00. No problem, I will drive. I happily called my dealership yesterday to inform them I will see them Thursday afternoon for the airfilter. Long silence - we do not have it. We will phone you tomorrow to confirm we have it. No call from them and by 14h00 today I called. Nothing Sir. Ok, I know you have a brand new MUX on the floor - I shall be there this coming Monday at 8h00 sharp -and we will take the airfilter from your new MUX and fit in mine. You guys can then replace that filter at your leisure. No Sir, we cannot do it. I am blessed with a hair-trigger temper and it went "CLICK". They were now passing the phone around like a burning coal because clearly nobody wanted to be on the line met hierdie boerseun. I just killed the call. And I am getting more aggravated by the minute because every time I start the MUX it flashes warnings to me about air filter replacement. Then I get a call from a bloke in the supply chain from somewhere in Durban, with a long story about 600 filters on the way from Japan, blah,blah,blah. I exercised my right to the red button on the phone again, maybe he is still talking...

So by now, I am having Tabasco instead of sweetener with my coffee. Time to get Isuzu SA on the line. Low and behold, I get through to a helpful person on the 1st attempt. Long stories about investigations blah, blah,blah etc. But then she called back within 30 minutes saying that I can be at the dealership, 8h00 Monday morning for my filter.

So gents, if you are having coffee at 8h05 Monday morning and see your cup giving off a slight tremor, it is because 8h00 Monday morning = no filter. And I will happily report if it indeed arrived.

What gets me most about this, is sitting in traffic, looking at all the "White SUV's" around me, and my small voice saying "I told you so".

I really, really hope this is just an anomaly.

Mooi bly.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

I think most of SA car owners have come to the conclusion that a bad service experience is often dealership/service manager related and not make. Don't despair and don't even look twice at the white "sheep" on the road.
    A mate at work was telling me just this morning of his fight with THE manufacturer of white sheep and the new 2.4 SUV he bought his wife.
    He is a tuff and hardened engineering manager and I'm sure there are going to more than one coffee tremor in the next few days.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Iíll make sure I sip my Monday morning coffee from a spill proof travel mug

25. The Following User Says Thank You to globaljaco For This Useful Post:

Guys, I had to fork out 60k cash to get out of the TB (Roelf, that money could have taken me to a very special gathering coming up in Northern Italy soon) which was triggered by certain replacement parts not available for the TB. (and very expensive if they could be gotten eventually). You know the story. So I am super sensitive too the mere hint of something "still on the water".

But it is the age-old problem. My meltdown could have been prevented by sincere comms from their side. And when they eventually decided to get somebody to try and calm me down, they picked who must patently be one of the - what is a euphimism for stupid? - persons in sub Saharan Africa. Now mix that with my sensitivity, emotional IQ akin to a 6 year old, temper, pedantic nature and lack of perspective, and you go from zero to total [email protected]#&%*up in no time at all.

I can however proudly state that I only dropped ONE f-bomb in all of this, when the "peacemaker" asked me if I understand that these filters are made in Japan.

I posted to try and keep with my undertaking to give feedback on my ownership experience hollistically insofar the MUX.

I still believe it is a great vehicle, I shall not look at white sheep again, and I shall arise as always tomorrow morning with a song in my heart (smiley here - I just cannot get this Hoehaaiwee phone to do it).

I'm trucking to Pretoria and back tomorrow. I'll be alone in the car, so I'm not expecting any "bragable" fuel consumption figures to emerge to compare to your MUX, but I am looking forward to allow the long gearing to make it quick.
    I'm being interviewed in Pretoria for my visa to go to a certain gathering in Belgium at the end of the month.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast