Sardine Run 2019

Default Sardine Run 2019

Amy news or updates on the Sardine this year?

Default Re: Sardine Run 2019

Last weekend they made it to Port St Johns.

Netted in Toti yesterday and apparently a sardine boat flipped this morning.
    Haven't heard more after that.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

Nice that they got some sards.
    Flipping a boat, not so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Last weekend they made it to Port St Johns.
    That was a small shoal, the same shoal that they netted in Toti.

I have just spent a week down there out at sea every day, Still no sign of the main shoal, maybe the Chinese netted them

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Not cool.
    I cant understand how the guys charge 50 to 60k for a weeks worth of sardine hunting, specifically with the intention if diving with them. Not catching them. I understand there are expenses in running the boats, but not to the tune of 50k.
    It's obviously catering for the foreigners with dollars pounds and euros.
    TSK TSK TSK it's such a shame.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WayneMan For This Useful Post:

Plenty sards again today between Pennington and Toti , netted at Toti again.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    Not cool.
    I cant understand how the guys charge 50 to 60k for a weeks worth of sardine hunting, specifically with the intention if diving with them. Not catching them. I understand there are expenses in running the boats, but not to the tune of 50k.
    I was talking to them, locals, about this last week.
    You have got no idea, they are even pissing of the locals in these areas as they say that they don't see a cent of this "tourist money" and they are right.

All foreigners yes, didn't see one South African on board.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Tour operator even tried to stop me from launching, saying that the launch permit is exclusively for his company only

One phone call to the local authority, who issued the permit by the way, shut them up quickly.....

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    Not cool.
    It's not cheap yes, but you are looking at less than R5k per day depending on who you use but a bit more with other operators approx R6k per day.

Remember, this includes, depending on who your operator is accommodation, dinner, breakfast and lunch on the boat. Equipment and diver permit.

Offshore Africa has a gyro copter (aerial scout) at their disposal, photographer for the launches (Spectacular pic's) and video footage made of the ocean days.

These guys are about the sardine run and being in places like Port St John's tourism isn't exactly booming year round, they have expenses to cover for the year, they are one of the more expensive operators but for good reason and they are all inclusive where the others are not. Rob is a ocean machine and knows his stuff well.

The others who pull in for the season from South Coast and even as far as Ponta have to haul the boats and equipment long distances through the transkei, they have to hire additional staff as their normal operations needs to continue in places like Umkomaas, Durban, Sodwana and like mentioned, Ponta.

Ocean days are from sunrise in the morning till afternoon, covering long distances in crappy conditions. Burning loads of fuel.

I really can't see a problem with the prices charged for the experience, if you are not quick enough with a booking you would not get space either so it sells well, even at those prices.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    I was talking to them, locals, about this last week.
    You have got no idea, they are even pissing of the locals in these areas as they say that they don't see a cent of this "tourist money" and they are right.

All foreigners yes, didn't see one South African on board.
    Well all the accommodation establishments in and around town are there because of tourists, restaurants, shops etc. I did see a majority of foreigners yes but at least some Saffa's too.

Jobs are created and this feeds plenty families in the community. Because some don't get handed money for whatever reason they are unhappy? Sounds like entitlement mentality to me.

Guess what happens to a town like Port St John's if zero tourists visit...
    Last edited by Pietsweis; 2019/07/04 at 02:33 PM.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    It's not cheap yes, but you are looking at less than R5k per day depending on who you use but a bit more with other operators approx R6k per day.

Remember, this includes, depending on who your operator is accommodation, dinner, breakfast and lunch on the boat. Equipment and diver permit.

Offshore Africa has a gyro copter (aerial scout) at their disposal, photographer for the launches (Spectacular pic's) and video footage made of the ocean days.

These guys are about the sardine run and being in places like Port St John's tourism isn't exactly booming year round, they have expenses to cover for the year, they are one of the more expensive operators but for good reason and they are all inclusive where the others are not. Rob is a ocean machine and knows his stuff well.

The others who pull in for the season from South Coast and even as far as Ponta have to haul the boats and equipment long distances through the transkei, they have to hire additional staff as their normal operations needs to continue in places like Umkomaas, Durban, Sodwana and like mentioned, Ponta.

Ocean days are from sunrise in the morning till afternoon, covering long distances in crappy conditions. Burning loads of fuel.

I really can't see a problem with the prices charged for the experience, if you are not quick enough with a booking you would not get space either so it sells well, even at those prices.
    I agree with all said, but they only haul the boats down once and back home once.
    They get a new group of clients every, 7-9 days I think it is, last week they had 70 odd clients booked for the week.
    times that by the 3 months that they operate.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Tour operator even tried to stop me from launching, saying that the launch permit is exclusively for his company only

One phone call to the local authority, who issued the permit by the way, shut them up quickly.....
    If a launch site is offically recognized I thought no one can stop you using it. That would annoy me.

I understand there are lots of expenses to set up an operation like that and ride the ocean every day. But damn that's expensive !
    I'm not Rockerfellar, I'm the other fellar!