Conti Crosscontact LX

Default Conti Crosscontact LX

Hi rubber guru's

I have the Ranger with Conti CrossContact LX 255/70 16" tires and would like to know how good these tires are off-road.
    I am aware that these are more highway tires and have paper thin sidewalls and should be at a slightly higher pressure than the more practical AT or MT tires, just so that we try to protect the sidewalls from damage and cuts.

My questions are, the tires have the M&S sidewall marking and as per my understanding, refers to Mud & Snow. How good are these tires in Mud and Snow? I am planning on taking a day trip in July to the top of Martroosberg so that SWAMBO and kids can see and play in snow for the first time. Will these tires have sufficient traction in those conditions? Will a noob like me be able to safely get to the top without causing damage to 1.) the trails or 2.) my vehicle?

I am hesitant to replace these tires as they have approx 50-60k km left in them (which by my calculations) should take about 5-6 years before I have to replace them due to wear. I also like the way they handle the black stuff, smooth , quiet and relatively fuel economical.
    What I am also considering is to have a set of AT tires on steel rims for those occasions I decide to go paw-x-pawing, but at this point in time, finances are dedicated to other priorities.

Any input is welcome and appreciated (especially when recommending on replacing the ranger and get a proper 4x4, cos I may just agree )
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Default Re: Conti Crosscontact LX

Not a tyre guru but had these on my Amarok. Once they reached 30k km, I had frequent slow punctures and one blow out. Replaced with Grabbers at 40k km. Sold the Amarok with 75k km on without a single puncture
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

M + S - This mark is commonly found on “all season” and winter tires. ... Tires that meet the RMA definition for passenger and light truck tires for use in severe snow conditions are marked on at least one sidewallwith the letters "M" and "S" (as stated above) plus the mountain snowflake symbol

From the Coopertires website
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

The M+S you see on the tires only refers to the tread pattern. Most A/T and even some H/T tires would carry that sign.

It however doesn't say anything about the tire compound's cold weather suitability. Many tires wouldn't grip well at temperatures at or below zero, despite carrying the M+S symbol, simply because their rubber compound get's hard at low temperatures.

The mountain & snow flake symbol refers to the tire compound and indicates cold weather suitability.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/06/29 at 04:30 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Have same Tyres from Factory on Everest

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4000V6 Manual 5 Speed 4x4
    Petri

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 L SOHC V6 Auto AWD 4x4
    Pieter

2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TDi S-Tronic Quattro
    Daily Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    Hi rubber guru's

I have the Ranger with Conti CrossContact LX 255/70 16" tires and would like to know how good these tires are off-road.
    I am aware that these are more highway tires and have paper thin sidewalls and should be at a slightly higher pressure than the more practical AT or MT tires, just so that we try to protect the sidewalls from damage and cuts.

My questions are, the tires have the M&S sidewall marking and as per my understanding, refers to Mud & Snow. How good are these tires in Mud and Snow? I am planning on taking a day trip in July to the top of Martroosberg so that SWAMBO and kids can see and play in snow for the first time. Will these tires have sufficient traction in those conditions? Will a noob like me be able to safely get to the top without causing damage to 1.) the trails or 2.) my vehicle?

I am hesitant to replace these tires as they have approx 50-60k km left in them (which by my calculations) should take about 5-6 years before I have to replace them due to wear. I also like the way they handle the black stuff, smooth , quiet and relatively fuel economical.
    What I am also considering is to have a set of AT tires on steel rims for those occasions I decide to go paw-x-pawing, but at this point in time, finances are dedicated to other priorities.

Any input is welcome and appreciated (especially when recommending on replacing the ranger and get a proper 4x4, cos I may just agree )
    Get some chains to be safe if you do get into some serious snow, from my experience these clog very easily in deep mud and is slippery on wet grass..
    2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4000V6 Manual 5 Speed 4x4
    Petri

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 L SOHC V6 Auto AWD 4x4
    Pieter

2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TDi S-Tronic Quattro
    Daily Drive

Thanks for the responses everyone
    !
    So, from what you have said above and from what I have read on the interweb, it is rather clear that these tires are more road oriented even though they carry the M+S symbols and would argue that these M+S symbols are linked to the tire's performance on tar and not really in off-road conditions. I was rather hoping that these would have been capable of doing what I wanted to, but hey, one could have hoped.

I guess I will have to go with option 2 and get another set of tires on steel rims specific for my off-road adventures and leave the OEM Conti's for the daily drives.

After reading through the reviews and responses on this thread https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Power-RoverM-T it seems as if it is a good option to go for the Powertrac Power Rover M/T

Now for yet another question, I see that they make the tires in 265/75/16 where the ones I have on the Ranger are 255/70/16's
    What are the potential issues with moving to the bigger size?
    I understand that this will give me a slight lift (which is not a bad thing ) , the car's response may be slightly reduced due to the bigger circumference and that the fuel economy may be affected negatively, and the higher road noise but that is something I can live with when driving with these on the car. Are there any other mechanical risks I may be facing when going bigger?
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Dunlop AT3g AT seem to get good reviews
    Also see Dunlop website tab "beyond expeditions " to see what they have put these tyres through
    Last edited by richarda; 2019/07/01 at 04:34 PM.
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Hi Jacques,

yes I think the best is to get rid of the Conti's while you can still get something for them and get a set of A/T's, Dunlop, Goodyear, General Grabber, Cooper, and BF'S all awesome tyres with varying budget in mind. Especially if you are going to be offroading it worth it!

Goodyears, dunlops and GG at a bit less R than the others.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)