Smokers: Share your Pork Butt Recipes - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Smokers: Share your Pork Butt Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Wrapping in tin foil
    That is the Texas Crutch portion of the process I think?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Hell, even baboon biltong is lekker.
    Sitbok Billies
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Hi Estee, Thanks for your inputs. Please add a few pictures of the appliance you are using ie Pakistani Wok / Pot plus your weber attachments. Secondly when do you think it is most appropriate to stop the smoke process and purely cooking it I,e, Wrapping in tin foil or moving to another heat source but wrapped. I suppose one could minimise to amount of chips added to stop the smoke process somewhere around the 60% time mark. Pity they did not put an oven window in Webers. Last question - Have you tried cold smoking.
    Mike. I heavily smoke with chips for the first hour to hour and a half, sufficient for a smoke ring to form. But I see the Janquis smoke for longer using the blocks which take longer to be consumed but I find it a bit heavy even though I like smoked flavour.

So on the beef ribs done last weekend, total cook time of @ six hours I smoked for about 2, then spritzed over a period of another two, wrapped for 1.5 and then final uncovered for the last 30 odd minutes. I then let my meats ''rest'' in a roasting pan, covered with foil for about 15 to 20 minutes or as long as I can beat people off. The beef ribs were the thick ones. I have a photo which I will transfer from my cell phone to this lap top and post.

I have most photies of my set-up on FB so will log in and post here.

I would like to try cold-smoking but I havent looked at getting/making the set-up yet. Cheese comes to mind.

I do make my billies and droewors in the WSM though, Small ammount of coal, may 5 or 6 briquettes to get the temp and maintain @ 51c over about 3 to 4 hours and its good to go in the afternoon.

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

A Weiss at 6 months
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    A Weiss at 6 months
    Looks like a beer that can be paired with any type of meat... Or any type of food... Or as a desert... Hell who needs food when you can have a decent beer...

Which are the best smokers, the drum type like WSM or UDS or an offset smoker like the Megamaster coalsmith series?

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    Which are the best smokers, the drum type like WSM or UDS or an offset smoker like the Megamaster coalsmith series?
    depends if you want hot or cold smoke
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    depends if you want hot or cold smoke
    Hot smoke, mostly ribs and brisket.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I've done one brisket before. My method was incredibly flawed, so it came out OK, but definitely not good. For starters, the mistakes I made were:

1. Too hot Weber temps. I just fired it, with not thermometer to track the temperature. No idea where I cooked at.
    2. Opened the lid all the time to see "how it's going".
    3. I bought the brisket deboned, and while that's not bad at all (I'll do it again), I was so shocked by the loss of weight that I didn't trim it. I left a big-ass fat cap on the top, and that just went "galsterig", almost. Had a crispy shell and when that popped it was literally just rendered fat and oil that ran out onto everything. When it cooled down the brisket sat in a white pool of just plain fat. Ended up ruining the meat a bit.
    4. Brisket was too cold going on. Took it out when I lit the coals, and 20mins isn't enough time for it to properly "warm up" before going on the grill.
    5. My internal temp was never checked. The outside was amazing, but the inside was way too cold to be tender. It was very pink on the inside, which in turn lead to it being quite tough, even after 6 hours in the Weber.
    6. Never used my beloved Texas Crutch. That thing's amazing.

So yeah I'm planning a BBQ brisket again in the near future, but my wife is "sick and tired" of me "ruining" expensive cuts of meat on the Weber and then she doesn't even like the meats. So my next low and slow will be smokeless, just basted with a sticky BBQ basting during the cook. Dry rub going on, as always. I think it'll go VERY well with the Vienna lager I'm currently letting rest...
    Please elaborate on the texas crutch?

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    Thats a hard one. I am leaning towards the offset although I havent got one yet (SWAMBO drew the line a couple of years ago) I think the offset gives you the versatility of having a smoker with heat source, a direct grill with coals under the food as well as an indirect heat source with coals one side under the grill and food the other side above the grill. The offset component therefore, doesnt have to be used.

If you get the heat correct, I am sure you can probably use it for cold smoking also.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Looks like a beer that can be paired with any type of meat... Or any type of food... Or as a desert... Hell who needs food when you can have a decent beer...
    It is and, much to the consternation of other restaurant patrons, my breakfast drink of choice, with a grill brekkie where pig is involved or a smoked salmon open samich with cheese, rye bread

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Please elaborate on the texas crutch?
    The Texas Crutch: Wrap in Foil to Tenderize and Speed Cooking. By Meathead Goldwyn. Called the "Texas Crutch" because some folks think it was developed in Texas, practically all the top competitive barbecue teams use this technique for ribs, pork shoulder (butt), and brisket.

Its done at a certain point in the BBQ, generally towards the end, in the last hour to hour and a half, depending on the type of meat etc. Some BBQers use Butchers Paper for the same effect but this can absorb some of the juices which you might want to retain for the sauce.

OT: Some pics of Biltong and Droewors done in the WSM, ready same day. Billies is prepped in the same fashion.

In summer, the WSM will reach the required temp if placed in direct sun but I normally use a few coals to maintain the temp at the 51 to 57c mark for 3 to 4 hours, depending on ambient temps. No smoke, that would make Jerky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13781799_10154454244889589_6415737534006096557_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	532279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13782009_10154454245029589_2548497787257670283_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	532280  
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/06/27 at 05:22 PM.

This meat smoking has become a real challenge after reading this thread. I decided to re engineer a complete Braai come smoker but did some mock ups with old truck wheel hub also using Weber type grids and Weber type lid. If it works I will get a less rusted wheel hub. I will have to weld holes up as well as there may be too much air flow. Basically my aim is to have an undisturbed source of heat for cooking and a separate control for smoking. The smoke actual travels through the hot brickets or coal that have developed. I would appreciate your opinion. See attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Scuttle should be Skottel or Skottle
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

This meat smoking has become a real challenge after reading this thread. I decided to re – engineer a complete Braai come smoker but did some mock ups with old truck wheel hub also using Weber type grids and Weber type lid. If it works I will get a less rusted wheel hub. I will have to weld holes up as well as there may be too much air flow. Basically my aim is to have an undisturbed source of heat for cooking and a separate control for smoking. The smoke actual travels through the hot brickets or coal that have developed. I would appreciate your opinion. See attachment
    Magic. You might also consider:

https://www.barrelhousecooker.com/ugly-drum-smokers/

https://smokingmeatgeeks.com/ugly-dr...ans-uds-build/

The Weber 57cm lid fits perfectly onto a 45gal drum. The third pic with a horizontal and vertical drum might be a way of having a seperate smoke component
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5704e9584fa9e9db6f5ed4d3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	532284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE47FZHHITAAXKM.LARGE.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	532285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9a5952d3f6881f30a51c4d752134c58b.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	532286  
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/06/27 at 05:43 PM.

I also use a ugly drum smoker with a weber lid. The flat lid works perfectly no issues. We use the smoker alot to do pork shoulder/blade, brisket, ribs and "skaap bout" or any piece of venison I can lay my hands on. Also love using the Cobb for smaller pieces.
    I just need to get myself one of those thermometers for the smoker and a handheld one to stick in the meat
    Last edited by BansheeZA; 2019/06/28 at 02:17 PM.
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

Springbok Boudtjie don in a Green Egg in Zambia.

1. I incised the membrane around the individual muscle structures and inserted ground rosemary.
    2. Injected in and between muscles with cranberry juice. The membrane helps retain this
    3. Then light rub of olive oil
    4. Spice rub
    5. into the GE for 9 hours
    6. BBQ suace baste last 45 minutes. Sauce made from cranberry, red wine, brown sugar and rub spice left overs with ground rosemary
    7. Two guys with two spatulas each to get it out.
    8. Guests: Group of Hollanders and Danes, head of World Bank Zambia and some Kaapenaars.
    9. Comments: Thats flippin good. Not bad for a Soutie

Green Egg was still warm enough the next morning to use again. Very efficient but blerry expensive

Try this link for Brisket looks good,,, you may have to type the link in

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Try this link for Brisket looks good,,, you may have to type the link in
    Is this what you are expecting us to see?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pint01smk.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	532457
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast