Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.





Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Again I owe the forum after gathering so much info for putting together this trip. We left home on 1 May and were back home on 9 June. Forgive all the pictures. I value pictures when I gather information, so hopefully this help someone else. It really was a fantastic trip for us. There will be some more to come.

    The rest of the reports are posted later on the thread.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Frans 90; 2019/07/15 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Part 2 added

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delmas
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,515

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Lekker om te lees. Wag vir deel 2

    Terloops wat het jul betaal om Visriviercanyon te besoek? Baie dankie
    Elize

    en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Lekker om te lees. Wag vir deel 2Terloops wat het jul betaal om Visriviercanyon te besoek? Baie dankie
    Dankie Elize, werk aan hom. Jo, kan nie onthou nie, dink was N$ 60 pp + 10 vir voertuig.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,518

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Thanks Frans, shaping up to be an excellent, entertaining and detailed trip report. In my opinion the life blood of this forum.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Thanks Frans, shaping up to be an excellent, entertaining and detailed trip report. In my opinion the life blood of this forum.
    Thank you Stan.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    601

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Great read Frans, thank you for the efffort and detail. We’re planning a visit in Dec/Jan and your report will assist us greatly 8)
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Great read Frans, thank you for the efffort and detail. We’re planning a visit in Dec/Jan and your report will assist us greatly 8)
    Thanks Dirk. Jealous of you. Will go again any time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Dankie Elize, werk aan hom. Jo, kan nie onthou nie, dink was N$ 60 pp + 10 vir voertuig.
    Het gekyk op notas, dit was wel die pryse vir dagbesoek.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Struisbaai
    Age
    59
    Posts
    539

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Thanks Frans.Was going to do this year but now we have postponed to next year May.This is going to help a lot.
    Thanks for sharing.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    601

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Hi Frans, I see you normally tour with the BL in tow. Did you at any stage wish you were not towing during this trip.

    Reason I ask is because I have this idea in mind of going back to basics and use the RTT instead of the BL Ratel, doing a similar trip as you guys did. The Hilux with canopy provide reasonable packing space, although one give up a heck of a lot of luxury. Swings and roundabouts
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Age
    55
    Posts
    830

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Thanks, Frans. Wonderful TR wit lovely pictures. Like it very much.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leusurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post
    Thanks Frans.Was going to do this year but now we have postponed to next year May.This is going to help a lot.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, that is the aim of reports. Hopefully you find something useful in between all the pictures.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Hi Frans, I see you normally tour with the BL in tow. Did you at any stage wish you were not towing during this trip.

    Reason I ask is because I have this idea in mind of going back to basics and use the RTT instead of the BL Ratel, doing a similar trip as you guys did. The Hilux with canopy provide reasonable packing space, although one give up a heck of a lot of luxury. Swings and roundabouts
    Dirk, no never regretted towing. I will share some detail on roads and towing distances in part 8 again. The Boskriek may be significantly lighter than the Ratel, but with right tyre pressures I never experienced any issues. One gain experience over time and adapt to road conditions. The bulk of the roads were fair to good. I am not ready to give up the luxuries, the essence why we got the Boskriek. We saw very many Bush Lapa`s and other makes in camps and on the roads.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Thanks, Frans. Wonderful TR wit lovely pictures. Like it very much.
    Thanks Ortelius.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Part 2 ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delmas
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,515

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans 90 View Post
    Part 2 ready.
    En jy sê jy neem net memories? Wow. Ongelooflik mooi fotos. Pragtig! Kan net die dae aftel tot Desember om weer daar te kom! Pragtig. Dankie.
    Elize

    en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    En jy sê jy neem net memories? Wow. Ongelooflik mooi fotos. Pragtig! Kan net die dae aftel tot Desember om weer daar te kom! Pragtig. Dankie.
    Dankie Elize, Mientjie dra darem ook by met die kamera.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Part 3 and 4 also ready. These were the areas the rest of the trip was built around.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Frans 90; 2019/06/28 at 12:36 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    62
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    THANKS Frans!

    Your timing could not have been better - we are leaving on Sat from Paarl to do the south of Namibia. Starting at Oranjemund in the south and going to Henties - so we are visiting most of the landmarks your comprehensive report covers.

    Its nice to know in advance what to expect and what to look out for.

    Can't wait to hook up and go!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    56
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Trip Report: Southern Namibia at a leisurely pace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkba View Post
    THANKS Frans!Your timing could not have been better - we are leaving on Sat from Paarl to do the south of Namibia. Starting at Oranjemund in the south and going to Henties - so we are visiting most of the landmarks your comprehensive report covers.Its nice to know in advance what to expect and what to look out for.Can't wait to hook up and go!
    Thanks. Enjoy your trip.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •