Grand Cherokee Heavier duty rear coil springs required for Jeep Grand Cherokee Wj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Heavier duty rear coil springs required for Jeep Grand Cherokee Wj

I currently have OME coils at the rear of my GC , and they are great with no load. Yet they can not do the duty when I load for overlanding, even when I am packing like a hiker. I have 2inch spacers that save me from a lot of bottoming out with the tank skid plate on bumps. I have used Airhelper bags but when they leak or rupture or get pinched one us left in a lurch. I need coils that will carry about 150 kg more at normal riding height. Where can get some or have custom coils made in South Africa?
    Grand Cherokee Overland 2002 4.7 HO
    Grand Cherokee Laredo 2000 4.0 I6

Default Re: Heavier duty rear coil springs required for Jeep Grand Cherokee Wj

Same problem.

Following.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by chris.pienaar3 View Post
    I currently have OME coils at the rear of my GC , and they are great with no load. Yet they can not do the duty when I load for overlanding, even when I am packing like a hiker. I have 2inch spacers that save me from a lot of bottoming out with the tank skid plate on bumps. I have used Airhelper bags but when they leak or rupture or get pinched one us left in a lurch. I need coils that will carry about 150 kg more at normal riding height. Where can get some or have custom coils made in South Africa?
    Which Airhelpers were you using? I am considering some.

I use the airlift 1000 series. Both Pajero's. They work very well for overlanding, not so good on trails.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I have a guy in Middelburg Mpumalanga that fitted heavy duty coils to my Jeep WK.
    You can keep the length the same and only increase the diameter of the metal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhard Hoffman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I use the airlift 1000 series. Both Pajero's. They work very well for overlanding, not so good on trails.
    "not so good on trails."

Stranger please elaborate.

Where/who did you buy them for?

Any problems with them?

Pajero Gen 2 LWB (PAJ)

With a fully loaded drawer system that also has a 60 L water tank plus an RTT.

Solid axle on the rear

Pajero's are long and when loaded as above tend to sag at the rear as the weight ends up behind the axle. Also a tendency to bottom out. The Gen 2 springs are quite long and you can use Patrol springs in there. Problem solved by inserting Air lift 1000 Bags (you match them up on their site) Easy install and piping.

Result: by inflating the bags and then loading the vehicle you can drop the "lift" to level the vehicle. The bags support the springs , they are not designed to lift the vehicle. This also prevents bottoming out as the bags provide resistance as they are compressed.

The bags are adjustable via the psi inflation that you apply. Harder will produce a harder ride, softer = softer and you can adjust to your preference. Road holding was around the same with perhaps less rolling in hard corners.

Off roading: simply because there is less travel on the springs means that on cross axles you will not get the full travel unless you deflate the bags down to a minimum .5psi. Any more than that and you may end up pinching the bag in the spring.

Gen 3 Pajero LWB (Pajtu)

Same drawer system but we are now on independent suspension. Same sag effect.

Result: Again the springs are supported and help prevent bottoming out. We get very little of the see-saw effect and the car feels much more planted and steady, especially when towing.

Same story off road.

Problems: None
    Last edited by Stranger; 2019/06/26 at 03:55 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    "not so good on trails."

Stranger please elaborate.

Where/who did you buy them for?

Any problems with them?
    First set I imported from E Bay

second set I was luck and found local

There are two suppliers that I know of,

http://assc.co.za/lowering-suspension

https://www.airsuspension.co.za/4x4-air-helpers

Firestone also do a bag system

Any more information supplied will come with an invoice

BMW R1200R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

"Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

i can definitely recommend camil suspension (coil over) they are brilliant www.camilsuspensions.co.za and the shock is fully serviceable.
    Last edited by RANGERFAN; 2019/06/26 at 04:12 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RANGERFAN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Hoffman View Post
    I have a guy in Middelburg Mpumalanga that fitted heavy duty coils to my Jeep WK.
    Gerhard please send send me his details. I would be very interested in following up. I was also told that OME has a heavier spring for about R5000 a pair.

I used the Firestones Airhelpers but partly due to slow leaks on piping (my own poor workmanship) and a catastrophic pinch offroad when I had the bags slightly softer for better articulation, I am now more interested in a more robust solution

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chris.pienaar3 For This Useful Post:

Gerhard please send send me his details. I would be very interested in following up. I was also told that OME has a heavier spring for about R5000 a pair.

I used the Firestones Airhelpers but partly due to slow leaks on piping (my own poor workmanship) and a catastrophic pinch offroad when I had the bags slightly softer for better articulation, I am now more interested in a more robust solution
    Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Hoffman View Post

i came across this cheap and easy solution on Facebook today, maybe I need to try this before spending money on those expensive OME or customised springs?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to chris.pienaar3 For This Useful Post:

i came across this cheap and easy solution on Facebook today, maybe I need to try this before spending money on those expensive OME or customised springs?
    If this is an idea of a cheap solution, it will then be cheaper to rather replace the shock with a pipe.

On a serious note, one can also
    Consider the airbags that fit inside the coil springs. Firestone makes them.

Haha. Well let us know how's the ride quality. Haha.
    Stress concentration and embrittlement due to the welding heat affected zone will cause those coils to snap right off.

The airbags is an option. Leaks is a pain though.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhard Hoffman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RANGERFAN View Post
    i can definitely recommend camil suspension (coil over) they are brilliant www.camilsuspensions.co.za and the shock is fully serviceable.

does not show any products for Jeep.
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    does not show any products for Jeep.
    Speak to Gino. These okes would be able to manufacture you some. they do for some of the local assembled/manufactured stuff and keep standard and heavy duty. I recently acquired and quote for navara D4 rear leaf springs

they seem to list for the Wrangler H/Duties. Price per spring loose supply only. This should give some lift (35mm)

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 123
Size:  8.0 KB
    Last edited by Dwayne P; 2019/08/05 at 12:51 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Update: I was on R&R and received the OME springs, but they were for the KJ and not for the WJ . I measured the WJ coil in my Jeep (OME) and the KJ coils. Both made from 16 mm wire.

Contacted Andre in Middelburg as suggested by Gerhard Hoffman. He will make me some custom coils according to WJ design but from 17 mm wire. Cost will be about 50% of OME at about R2600 for a pair of coils. I will be out of country for 3 months again, will only receive and fit them once I getback,

Update: I was on R&R and received the OME springs, but they were for the KJ and not for the WJ . I measured the WJ coil in my Jeep (OME) and the KJ coils. Both made from 16 mm wire.
    Just be careful with measuring coils and wire width. We replaced a set of coils the other day, with 22mm wire (manufactured locally), with a set of imported coils of 16mm, with the mounts being 12mm. The number of loops were the same. The thinner, imported coil, carried the load much better than the thicker one.

It's in the manufacturing and tempering process, seldom the thickness of the coil.
    Gavin

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Personally I would have gone with MIKEM Suspension Systems. I would go for a progressive coil which retain the no-load comfort but stiffen up as you load them. One day they will be in my project WJ currently being build. They know there stuff. (011)499 0023/0826564473
    Last edited by Rooian; 2019/09/03 at 01:07 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Rooian For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast