solar geyser help.

Default solar geyser help.

Please help me as I am electrically challenged.I was asked to replace a burst solar geyser. It has a controller that switches the pump on as it is a split system.The original element was 2kw and the new element is 4kw.

The geyser worked fine for about two weeks and then tripped. I checked the element and everything is fine. It seems the controller has packed up. I spoke to the installer who is very helpful and he told me it is normally a dry joint solder problem in the controller
    He also pointed out to me that the controller is only rated to 2kw. I thought the 2kw story was only a story that Eskom made for the rebate and to reduce the load on ESKOM.
    Here is the pdf of the controller.
    http://www.mzansisolar.co.za/downloa...r%20Manual.pdf

Can anyone tell if they understand what the kw allowance is of this system.Also is there a way of doing some external relay to prevent this problem if it is a problem.
    Also the geyserwise units to replace this if it cant be fixed. Will I have the same problem.?

Default Re: solar geyser help.

I did not look over it too closely, but I did see H1 rated at 10A. Since you have a basic resistive heating element you are trying to pull, I=p/V=4000/220=18.18A, or more than the rated power of the relay, if this is how it is wired up?

I would use the relay to switch a contractor rated for more than 4Kw. We always put a flyback protection diode in the circuit to prevent BackEMF, but that is because we are protecting low voltage digital signals that are often used to drive the relay. Probably not necessary in your case. You cant really have that sort of stuff (220V highish power) out in the open, so I would get a sparky to figure out how to install the contractor somewhere that is electrically compliant.

If it's an insurance claim get the controller replaced.
    You mention Geyserwise but it doesn't look like their system to me.
    Replace with a Geyserwise system since I reckon they know what they are doing..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    If it's an insurance claim get the controller replaced.
    You mention Geyserwise but it doesn't look like their system to me.
    Replace with a Geyserwise system since I reckon they know what they are doing..
    No its not a geyserwize. I may have stuffed up because the geysers for solar were always 2kw(a rebate requirement of eskom) but 200l geysers come out with a 4kw element.
    So I may have overloaded the system and it has burnt out.I googled it and thought it was rated u to 4kw but it looks like I may have made a mistake.
    To prevent this again I was wondering if an external relay could be installed but stephenplumb is not talking in plumbing language so I didnt understand what he said.
    Can you use a lower voltage to to turn on a higher voltage and how difficult would it be for a layman to install.
    Before everyone says get an electrician I want to learn. When I hand the system over I will tell the owner he has to get an electrician to coc it.
    The system is 6 years old and also loses its memory if powered down and the pic has been changed already.
    The owner has given me permission to install a geyserwize but I would like to learn and put this in my memory bank.

Use your relay output from the controller to switch a bigger relay rated for 4kw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    No its not a geyserwize. I may have stuffed up because the geysers for solar were always 2kw(a rebate requirement of eskom) but 200l geysers come out with a 4kw element.
    So I may have overloaded the system and it has burnt out.I googled it and thought it was rated u to 4kw but it looks like I may have made a mistake.
    To prevent this again I was wondering if an external relay could be installed but stephenplumb is not talking in plumbing language so I didnt understand what he said.
    Can you use a lower voltage to to turn on a higher voltage and how difficult would it be for a layman to install.
    Before everyone says get an electrician I want to learn. When I hand the system over I will tell the owner he has to get an electrician to coc it.
    The system is 6 years old and also loses its memory if powered down and the pic has been changed already.
    The owner has given me permission to install a geyserwize but I would like to learn and put this in my memory bank.
    Yup Solar controllers only made provision for 2kw element..
    Use the controller to switch a contactor (in my motor trade days this was called a relay) to switch the increased load. Easy but get your electrician involved.

Hi Martin,
    Yes use a 220v - 4/6kw electrical contactor .you would wire the 220 volt coil of the contactor to the S/R controller ELEMENT load side LIVE and Neutral thus when the controller switches the element on this now operates the contactor which now supplies power to the element.
    Hilton Melck [email protected]