Patrol Engine Issues

Default Patrol Engine Issues

Hi all,

I keep reading (and hearing) that the 3.0 Turbo Diesel in the Patrol is a complete dog... This coming from both LC and Patrol fans

From those in the know, is this true? If so, I'm not aware of another diesel offering in the patrol pick up, but is there a better option?

TIA
    2006 Land Rover Defender TD5 90

Default Re: Patrol Engine Issues

The ZD30 engine was used to blow up before reaching 100k km, so the Aussies christened them "grenade".
    A lot has improved in the later models and today they are okay.

There is a 4.2 TD (6cyl) version in the pick-ups delivered between 2008 and 2012 about.
    Today they are also replaced with the 3.0 (4cyl)
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2019/06/25 at 11:46 PM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    The ZD30 engine was used to blow up before reaching 100k km, so the Aussies christened them "grenade".
    A lot has improved in the later models and today they are okay.

There is a 4.2 TD (6cyl) version in the pick-ups delivered between 2008 and 2012 about.
    Today they are also replaced with the 3.0 (4cyl)

Thank you, also found similar answers on the forum after a bit of snooping, apologies for digging up an old skeleton. Seeing as you've replied, is the presence of only the rear diff really that much of an issue off road? Specifically with steep climbs, or is it just a case of keyboard warriors?
    2006 Land Rover Defender TD5 90

The ZD30 CRD is a pretty good performer with 115kw and 400nm or there about. Fuel economy at around 10l/100km - 15l/100km if towing in heavy sand. Really can't complain. However compared to modern standards this is lack lustre... in comparison even the old 3.0 D4D from toyota produces more power. Lets not even compare to the 4.5 V8 from Toyota in the LC200 (Really the only competitor out there).

Reliability wise, the common rail is a very good engine. Stay away from the Di. Reliability is hit and miss.

Off road, the Patrol with only a rear diff lock outperformed most. The biggest issue on trails is the width. Tight trails become very tight. With the coil suspension and solid axles it will go pretty much anywhere it fits. Rear departure angle becomes more of a hinderance than anything else in my opinion but then mine is used more for overland travels than playing.
    Dale
    F150 4x4 5.4 Triton V8
    Series 3 Land Rover 109 SW
    GU Patrol 3.0Di GL
    Metalian Maxi in RED

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dale For This Useful Post:

If you start needing a front diff lock in a Patrol you are in territory that you should actually avoid.....IMHO
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Diesels are asthmatic by nature and need to be on a ventilator in order to work optimally

As for the Patrol, it has to be the most underrated and overlooked 4x4 of all time, but I think the Ozzies understand just how good it is, judging from YT. It was definitely on my list when I decided to ditch LR but, mid-life kicked in and I went with the Hummer

It was that or an Aston Martin
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Since you mentioned the pickup:

This has leaf springs on the rear axle, and a large load capacity. This means that unless the vehicle is heavily loaded, rear articulation suffers, and thus the lack of a locker is felt more than on the wagons.

However it is fitted with an excellent LSD which compensates in most situations and is said to be better in certain situations.

However, the current 3.0l pickups do have a rear locker.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

I have done a trail with the LC 76 v8 where lockers were needed. Two Patrols on the same trip. One with front and rear locker one with only rear locker. The one with the rear locker only had a hard time keeping up with the double locker Cruiser and Patrol.

The 3.0l Patrol lag low down torque in serious off road applications. The 4.2 is a jewel.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/06/26 at 12:17 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

The grenade issue was resolved years ago, one of the problems was the dipstick was not correct, if I remembered correctly didnt give the correct oil reading. The engine suffered from not enough oil and was resolved.
    Just remember the ZD30 engine in the Rosslyn Patrol (aka hardbody config)bakkies and ZD30 long in the GQ and GU engines are completely different.
    I drove both, the 4.2D is gutless as a towing and cruising vehicle, very good for tugging along , the ZD30 Patrol was a better cruiser and towing vehicle.
    Fit a fan on the intercooler , and your low down torque will improve, there is no air flow over or into the intercooler below 80 km/h. Intercoolers on top of engines and bonnet scoops is a bad design idea , for low moving vehicles in high ambient temperatures.
    It is not a dog , as mentioned by others, some had problems like any other but was resolved.
    Great vehicles! pity Nissan SA does not advertise this vehicle more
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2019/06/26 at 12:54 PM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    The grenade issue was resolved years ago, one of the problems was the dipstick was not correct, if I remembered correctly didnt give the correct oil reading. The engine suffered from not enough oil and was resolved.
    Just remember the ZD30 engine in the Rosslyn Patrol (aka hardbody config)bakkies and ZD30 long in the GQ and GU engines are completely different.
    I drove both, the 4.2D is gutless as a towing and cruising vehicle, very good for tugging along , the ZD30 Patrol was a better cruiser and towing vehicle.
    Fit a fan on the intercooler , and your low down torque will improve, there is no air flow over or into the intercooler below 80 km/h. Intercoolers on top of engines and bonnet scoops is a bad design idea , for low moving vehicles in high ambient temperatures.
    It is not a dog , as mentioned by others, some had problems like any other but was resolved.
    Great vehicles! pity Nissan SA treat does not advertise this vehicle more
    1) here is the full list of issues with remedies: https://www.mypatrol4x4.com/topic/57...by-step-guide/

2) several guys offer a successful turbo conversion for the TD42D

3) I'd also consider a front mount IC if there is space, or even water cooling use a 12v spray pump

4) Yes, NissanSA marketing is notoriously bad
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

If it needs to be a diesel you will need to go very far to beat the v8 Cruiser. Tons of lugging power, tows like a train and huge power gains with simple mods.

Petrol the 4.8 Patrol gets my vote.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.