Question about our route

Default Question about our route

Hello, I hope some one can give me some info, would be great.
    In august we want to drive from Namushasha River Lodge to the Zambezi Mombala Lodge. Google maps shows different routes one through Katimo Mutilio, one via the B road tot he C49 and the last one to the south al the way via the C49. What s the best and also most scenic route to take? Or do you recommend a sightseeing stop somewhere?

Default Re: Question about our route

I can recommend the C49 route as you will pass through Mudumu GR with options to stop by or do some game viewing.
    After about 80 kms you reach the turn off towards Rupara Mamili NP which is a destination on its own.
    Livingstone Lodge is just a stone throw from Sangwali village, all nicely set-up before reaching the Linyanti swamp land.

Saying this you would need some time to explore but even though, much nicer drive than the B8.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Helllo Kalahari Safari,
    Thanks for the quick response, great.
    That sounds very good then we take the C49 road.
    We have about 5 hours to cover this leg is it still worth going into the Mudumu NP or is there not enough time so just drive through?
    Do we need to pay park fees somewhere?
    If we come back from Zambezi Mubala we have a half day time left do you recommend going into Nkasa or is this a difficult park to navigate and deep sand in August?

Sylvia,

Going via C49 between your chosen lodges requires 2.5 to 3 hours. That leaves you only good two hours for Mudumu. Although Mudumu is relatively small park and this time should generally be enough to drive through most interesting areas along Kwando river (SW from the main road C49), you will have to pay park fees and and this formalities alone will take about half an hour of your time. So, it might be questionable, if such a short visit of this beautiful park is even worthwhile. And keep in mind that tracks inside Mudumu are mostly *very deep* sand.

As far as Nkasa Rupara is concerened, you will have no problems with track conditions in August (sand is nowhere as deep here as in Mudumu), We have found that half day is sufficient time to cover the SE area of the park, which was recommended to us by park rangers in August two years ago (other parts being too wet at that time). But this is only a time inside the park itself. You should count that you will need about an hour or so (one way) from C49 to the park entrance, so again, you might be to short in your available time there.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Hi Sylvia,

Very much what Ortelius is telling. Mudumu is great along the Kwando but merits more time and the sunsets are stunning.
    But considering a tight travel plan just drive through the park along the main road and stop whenever you see the game wandering about in the open plains.

As said, you would have to do the formalities if venturing off the tar, the office is just about 500 meters from the newly erected gate towards the river side.
    Nkasa Rupara was not attended, gate open, when we last past through, so we got lost in the vast plains and only found our way back a few hours and some deep sand recoveries later.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Ortelius and Kalahari Safaris thank you very much for the clear and good advice, great help