Airline business - state capture

Default Airline business - state capture

Inquiry is looking into SAA and SA Express related issues. About half way this first session. Monies involved are tens of millions to maybe R300 milj per scheme. But the schemes people got upto to steal our money is amazing. Some of the monies was for private hands but some apparently to fund ANC.

Dudu definitely was implicated and looks like more coming. North West local government is also implicated.

Small company. One owner is an old Russian, private investors providing R15 bilj in one go and financing it max 4% interest for 15 years on fixed interest. Monies coming from hard currency countries. Draw your own conclusions.

Interesting personalities have shown up. SA Express "inspector" very dedicated. Declined R3 milj cash bribe. But the best was a lady from Mafikeng. Business person, not sophisticated but do not go on the wrong side of her. She was used but when she realized what is happening she started recording everything, went to SA Express investigator with stack of papers and recordings resulting in several SA Express people either running away or leaving otherwise. But the best is that she took R20 milj so that the thiefs could not send it to ANC Person who tried to get the money back could be one who was mentioned also in Agrizzi's evidence. Lets see if the inquiry connects the dots - I may have been done so

When the inquiry started looking at where the "Mafikeng" money went they found interesting method of money laundering and provisionally illegal banks in the "cash in transit" business. Witness thought that she had cash in transit business but it looks like she was running a bank.

So business calls "cash in transit" business and says "I need R5 milj cash afternoon". Deposit R5 milj to the transit company's account. They then transfer the money to SBV who packs the cash. Transit company collects and takes the money to the one who ordered it. Depositing the money seems to be banking activity. Where the money laundering happens is that the deposit is made by an other person/company that ordered the cash. So the source of the funds is different. The one who receives the cash then distributes the cash using an other delivery company or person or what ever. Money laundered.

Commission is asking regulatory authorities to investigate how large scale this illegal bank/cash in transit business is. This small one lady company/4 drivers was delivering R500 milj per month. Majority of that must have been fully legal money. She operated from Springs and only around Gauteng. Might take a bit of time but either laws have to be changed or part of the cash in transit business is closed down.

This cash business is really eye opening. I just cannot figure out how a person/family can spend lets say R200 000.00 cash per month without it raising a red flag somewhere.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Airline business - state capture

Hennie

Pajerosport
    .308 CZ

Quote Originally Posted by hdreyer View Post
    Zondo commission into state capture. Sessions are often better than any soapie. But at the same time it is like a training course on many issues. I have already used some items in real life
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Hi Jouko,
    I must admit to enjoying your (and others) analyses and comments about topical issues that are very serious and require similar levels of comment?
    Now that I have been kicked out of the the NEWS media columns, the qualify of journalism has improved so much that I am dellghted we have the calibre of yourself (and others) in PUB talk etc, as a replacement, and appreciate it does not come without real intelligent argument either. So well done and take a bow!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Inquiry is looking into SAA and SA Express related issues. About half way this first session. Monies involved are tens of millions to maybe R300 milj per scheme. But the schemes people got upto to steal our money is amazing. Some of the monies was for private hands but some apparently to fund ANC.

Dudu definitely was implicated and looks like more coming. North West local government is also implicated.

Small company. One owner is an old Russian, private investors providing R15 bilj in one go and financing it max 4% interest for 15 years on fixed interest. Monies coming from hard currency countries. Draw your own conclusions.

Interesting personalities have shown up. SA Express "inspector" very dedicated. Declined R3 milj cash bribe. But the best was a lady from Mafikeng. Business person, not sophisticated but do not go on the wrong side of her. She was used but when she realized what is happening she started recording everything, went to SA Express investigator with stack of papers and recordings resulting in several SA Express people either running away or leaving otherwise. But the best is that she took R20 milj so that the thiefs could not send it to ANC Person who tried to get the money back could be one who was mentioned also in Agrizzi's evidence. Lets see if the inquiry connects the dots - I may have been done so

When the inquiry started looking at where the "Mafikeng" money went they found interesting method of money laundering and provisionally illegal banks in the "cash in transit" business. Witness thought that she had cash in transit business but it looks like she was running a bank.

So business calls "cash in transit" business and says "I need R5 milj cash afternoon". Deposit R5 milj to the transit company's account. They then transfer the money to SBV who packs the cash. Transit company collects and takes the money to the one who ordered it. Depositing the money seems to be banking activity. Where the money laundering happens is that the deposit is made by an other person/company that ordered the cash. So the source of the funds is different. The one who receives the cash then distributes the cash using an other delivery company or person or what ever. Money laundered.

Commission is asking regulatory authorities to investigate how large scale this illegal bank/cash in transit business is. This small one lady company/4 drivers was delivering R500 milj per month. Majority of that must have been fully legal money. She operated from Springs and only around Gauteng. Might take a bit of time but either laws have to be changed or part of the cash in transit business is closed down.

This cash business is really eye opening. I just cannot figure out how a person/family can spend lets say R200 000.00 cash per month without it raising a red flag somewhere.