Which fuel to use.

Default Which fuel to use.

So one of our bakkies is a 2004 Isuzu 300D (4JH1 engine)

Gradual loss of power on the vehicle and intermittent engine light coming on. The bakkie has done about 330k km's. The injector pump is the likely culprit, which is at a cost of roughly R28k. This got me thinking though, we've been running this bakkie on depot diesel (500ppm) since we got it. There is no owners manual. Is there somewhere that you can look up the fuel requirements?

Older vehicles like our 2002 2.0Hdi Peugeot and my 1996 300Tdi and even our 2002 300Tdi DC Isuzu, doesn't really bother me because at the time 500ppm was the norm , but I am not sure about the 2004 model Isuzu.

With that amount of km's it is unlikely that using the 500ppm is the culprit, but still worth looking at...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Default Re: Which fuel to use.

I would say the new generation common rail vehicles with EGR, DPF etc will have issues with 500ppm.

Having said that, the 4JH1 isn't that advanced and it doesn't have that stuff.
    I think it's old age and lack of proper filtration (maybe no water trap?).

Maybe a strip down of the pump before you just replace it? Most of the time it's an internal micro filter that gets blocked.

It's a Bosch VP44 eletronic pump that was used in half a dozen other vehicles of the same era.

And you can convert that engine to the older mechanical VE pump from the 4JB1, most competent diesel workshops will be able to do this for you.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

As always: Good advice, thank you Jelo
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I would say the new generation common rail vehicles with EGR, DPF etc will have issues with 500ppm.

Having said that, the 4JH1 isn't that advanced and it doesn't have that stuff.
    I think it's old age and lack of proper filtration (maybe no water trap?).

Maybe a strip down of the pump before you just replace it? Most of the time it's an internal micro filter that gets blocked.

It's a Bosch VP44 eletronic pump that was used in half a dozen other vehicles of the same era.

And you can convert that engine to the older mechanical VE pump from the 4JB1, most competent diesel workshops will be able to do this for you.