Disco 3 V8 Fault Codes...Help!

Default Disco 3 V8 Fault Codes...Help!

I seem to be chasing my tail getting to the bottom of the electrical issues on my D3, any experience or advice would be appreciated (@ Jelo - Be nice )

Current issues:
    Transmission Fault as soon as I turn on the ignition
    HDC programs not available as I turn on the ignition
    Cruise Control not available usually takes a couple of minutes to flash up
    Traction reduced as I turn on the ignition
    Suspension lowered as I turn on the ignition
    The ABS related ''3 Amigos" are on as I turn on the ignition
    Command Shift does not work
    Hard Reset makes no difference.

I have been able to read the following codes with my cheap generic ELM bluetooth dongle and the OBDII Car Scanner App (free version) very impressive in my opinion (it even got rid of the SRS light, another effect of removing the steering wheel airbag).

P086
    P080A
    P081C (cleared will see if it returns)
    P0577 (cleared will see if it returns)

U0416(94)
    U0403(94)
    U0416(86)
    U1A4A(6 (cleared will see if it returns)
    U0159(87) (cleared will see if it returns)

I have already done the following:
    Cleaned/checked the TCCM behind the battery
    Cleaned/checked all the connectors under the car
    Cleaned/checked all the connectors around the gear shift lever
    Cleaned the Diff actuator motor
    Checked the Clock Spring

The Lowered suspension and 3 Amigos are new and only came on after I removed the airbag and steering wheel, although I probable checked a few other connectors at the same time (can't remember exactly which ones though )

I realise this is a complex one and will probably require a diagnostic/programming tool but I'd like to learn more about the vehicle and DIY it if possible, plus I hate giving up as I do all the work on my vehicles myself.

This one has got me in knots though...
    Last edited by Hanny; 2019/06/24 at 09:29 AM. Reason: forgot something

Default Re: Disco 3 V8 Fault Codes...Help!

Step One: get the best LR / Disco-specific diagnostic reader you can afford. Then start again.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

have you checked the brake lights?
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Crikey...

That is a pretty long list...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

It could be as simple as a flat or dodgy battery that is giving you errors.... best to get your battery tested... i sometimes get the park brake error and my main battery is on its way out... this cold weather in Cape Town doesn't help batteries

Discos are EXTREMELY sensitive to slightly low battery voltage.
    Driving does not completely charge the battery (according to the gurus)

Charge the battery overnight, clear all codes and then see what's happening.
    ALWAYS the 1st, cheapest place to look for electrical gremlins.
    Agree with Jelo, a JLR Specific reader will give you much clearer info.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    I seem to be chasing my tail getting to the bottom of the electrical issues on my D3, any experience or advice would be appreciated (@ Jelo - Be nice )

Current issues:
    Transmission Fault as soon as I turn on the ignition
    HDC programs not available as I turn on the ignition
    Cruise Control not available usually takes a couple of minutes to flash up
    Traction reduced as I turn on the ignition
    Suspension lowered as I turn on the ignition
    The ABS related ''3 Amigos" are on as I turn on the ignition
    Command Shift does not work
    Hard Reset makes no difference.

I have been able to read the following codes with my cheap generic ELM bluetooth dongle and the OBDII Car Scanner App (free version) very impressive in my opinion (it even got rid of the SRS light, another effect of removing the steering wheel airbag).

P086
    P080A
    P081C (cleared will see if it returns)
    P0577 (cleared will see if it returns)

U0416(94)
    U0403(94)
    U0416(86)
    U1A4A(6 (cleared will see if it returns)
    U0159(87) (cleared will see if it returns)

I have already done the following:
    Cleaned/checked the TCCM behind the battery
    Cleaned/checked all the connectors under the car
    Cleaned/checked all the connectors around the gear shift lever
    Cleaned the Diff actuator motor
    Checked the Clock Spring

The Lowered suspension and 3 Amigos are new and only came on after I removed the airbag and steering wheel, although I probable checked a few other connectors at the same time (can't remember exactly which ones though )

I realise this is a complex one and will probably require a diagnostic/programming tool but I'd like to learn more about the vehicle and DIY it if possible, plus I hate giving up as I do all the work on my vehicles myself.

This one has got me in knots though...
    P080A - Clutch Position not learnt. Rear diff control module not calibrated. Diff clutch stuck or out of tolerance.
    P081C - Park input circuit. Park lock signal fault. Check gear selector input circuits.
    P0577 - Cruise control input circuit high. Speed control switch short circuit to power.

Hope this helps - I understand that the rear diff actuator will create all sorts of suspension and brake issues including HDC since these are all intertwined.
    (Ex) 1999 D90 2.8i (BMW Power )
    (Ex) 2004 Disco 2 V8 ES 4.6 conversion
    2007 D3 4.4 V8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cbrsa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Step One: get the best LR / Disco-specific diagnostic reader you can afford. Then start again.
    Unless I get something like an IID (R8k+) that can re-calibrate and program modules I'm not sure it'll give me much more info.

Trying to borrow an LR specific one (not sure which on at the moment) will see what that shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    have you checked the brake lights?
    The brake lights all work (not sure what brand the bulbs are) I have read that you can dissconnect the rear light modules to rule out any bulb issues. Will try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
    It could be as simple as a flat or dodgy battery that is giving you errors.... best to get your battery tested... i sometimes get the park brake error and my main battery is on its way out... this cold weather in Cape Town doesn't help batteries
    Battery seems to stabilise at 12.5V (14V when running) but agree I should get it load tested or swap with an another to rule that out.

If you get that many errors it means your can bus cabling has a fault, one of the ecu's are mis behaving, i.e. shorting the bus, or the supply voltage to the bus modules has an issue.

The first one, bus master, which i think is the instrument cluster, and the last ecu provides terminating resistors. So those must be there for the bus to work properly.

The d3 had a low speed and high speed can bus. Get the circuit diagrams and check which bus had all the faults. If gearbox in the list it is the high speed. Trace the cabling. I think it comes through the right fender behind the plastic lining.

If both busses has faults it will be something common like the master, i.e. instrument cluster, or by the radio.

Maybe someone buggered up the cabling by installing some non LR thing. Or water got into an ecu or connecter.

But get a good fault code reader. Get the the circuit diagrams and systematically check the cabling and power to the ecus. Check the connecters and measure the power at each one.

Faults are sometimes related, like the park break ecu is last in line and mess up the can bus comms of anything between it and the master.

Also power to the ecus can be disturbed, this is why the brake light switch also cause trouble sometines.

Good luck!
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    Ford Ranger 3.0 TDci 2008
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    DEFENDER 110 TD5 2006 CSW - SOLD!
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

When mine went wild it was first the brake light and then the battery. Battery was only a little down on power, but after replacing it all sorted.
    Actually used the old battery in my series 2 for almost two years after that before it failed
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Sold)
    2008 Discovery V8 (Sold)
    1961 Series ll 88" (Sold)

Thanks for all the suggestions, changed the battery for one that reads a stable 12.6v (after being in the car for 24 hours) no change.

Hope to get a chance this afternoon to trace some wiring, will update this thread with my findings.

Thanks for all the suggestions, changed the battery for one that reads a stable 12.6v (after being in the car for 24 hours) no change.

Hope to get a chance this afternoon to trace some wiring, will update this thread with my findings.
    If you are going to trace wires and looms it will be worth your while to check the loom on the passenger side under the mat retainer in the door.

If there was any leakage from the sun roof gutter tube running down that side or the little plastic T broken/Cracked there might be serious oxidation on the red wire copper crimp splitting 3 Ways.

Check that split
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

Unless I get something like an IID (R8k+) that can re-calibrate and program modules I'm not sure it'll give me much more info.

Trying to borrow an LR specific one (not sure which on at the moment) will see what that shows up.
    Yep, that's what I suggest. R8k once off or the dealer @ R1500 a time?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default Re: Disco 3 V8 Fault Codes...Update

Just wanted to provide some closure to this thread.

It turned out I had a few issues causing my problems. I took it to Twin Landy in Tokai (very helpful and professional outfit) Their very fancy system showed up the same codes that I was pulling with my R100 bluetooth dongle (more info later) BUT what they were able to do is scan each module individually and talk to individual components e.g. rear diff actuator.

They very quickly discovered that my TCCM was faulty as that couldn't 'talk'to any modules it controlled, they had a good used one that was put in . Now that they could talk to it they then tried to clear the codes and recalibrate, no luck! So back I went the next day to have a good, used diff motor installed. This cleared everything apart from a Transmission fault when you selected Drive and command shift not working (not being recongnised at all). the P081C code was a permanent feature.

From my research I suspected the gearshift module, mine showed no signs of corrosion like most that had failed but neither did my TCCM. As luck would have it I got one for free from a local guy who was breaking a TDV6 (the pins on his unit were very corroded (1 pin was missing completly). I bypassed the missing pin by soldering a wire onto the board and connected it to the relevant wire in the loom. For the first time since I've owned the vehicle I have no faults, bings or bongs unless I forget to put on my seatbelt.

Finally a happy D3 camper, hope this helps someone in the future.

I will start a new thread on the OBD dongle and app that I used

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hanny For This Useful Post: