Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Kruger North

Default Kruger North

In July, we have booked to go to Kruger on a camping trip for our wedding anniversary. I promised my wife a Leopard, she promised me a Brownie, she has so many other options of fulfilling her promise.

The furthest North we have been is Shingwedzi, so we thought to explore further North to expand our knowledge of the park.

The trip will include Shipandani hide, Tsendze, Punda Maria and Shingwedzi

For those that know the north, please may I have some pointers, must see's (Like Crooks corner), your favourite routes and hides and opinions on the camps.

If we have a good trip, and Brownies, then my imagination may just produce a trip report

Thanks
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kruger North

Try the Dust road north of Shingwedzi S 56 ..most Scenic route in Park along Mpolongo River ...Try Boyela Windmill early morning ..Roan, Eland , Tssessebe and if lucky the biggest pride of lions in Kruger over 30 (Boyela Pride ) Best road at Punda Maria is the Mahonie Loop

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    In July, we have booked to go to Kruger on a camping trip for our wedding anniversary. I promised my wife a Leopard, she promised me a Brownie, she has so many other options of fulfilling her promise.

The furthest North we have been is Shingwedzi, so we thought to explore further North to expand our knowledge of the park.

The trip will include Shipandani hide, Tsendze, Punda Maria and Shingwedzi

For those that know the north, please may I have some pointers, must see's (Like Crooks corner), your favourite routes and hides and opinions on the camps.

If we have a good trip, and Brownies, then my imagination may just produce a trip report

Thanks
    Well, actually all of the ones you mentioned - it all depends on your available time.

To us, Punda is a sure hit, with the water hole and the hide right at (on) the fence. (Have a look as the web cam - it is THAT close, and busy!) From there you can explore Crooks Corner/Pafuri, and en route to those, Klopperfontein. The last is so close to Punda that you can do it every day.
    What can one say about Shingwedzi - it represents the old Kruger and is by far the friendliest camp.
    Mopani has it own charater (camping at Tzendze) and on some of the back roads to the east, you will see Roan and Eland. Huge herds of Buffs (and thus lions) Vegetation can be a challenge, but so what?

You can enter at the far north at Pafuri (via Louis T and Tshipise) and exit at Phalaborwa.

Please dont get me started!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/06/21 at 12:22 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

There are some plains ("wetlands" on some maps) to the east, north east of Tsendze. Wonderfull place to spend the day.... I've seen it stacked with life, looking like the Serengeti... Also a welcome relief from the mopanie "walls"....

I also love the circle route around Punda Maria....
    Last edited by New; 2019/06/21 at 12:25 PM.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Thanks, looking forward to the trip. Tsendze is a favourite and the Shipandane hide will be a new experience. Read so much about Crooks corner, must have been a wild time in days gone by. We are so well sorted with the trailer now that we are very mobile and am looking forward to exploring.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

- Pafuri picnic spot for a brunch - the trees alone are worth the drive!
    - Then, the dirt road from Pafuri Picnic to Crooks Corner is by far my favourite spot in Kruger.
    - I asked SWAMBO to marry me at Crooks Corner.
    - As mentioned by Peter Betts - the Mpolongo River Route is breathtaking.

For leopards specifically, try the gravel roads around Shingwedzi down to the (now destroyed) Kanniedood dam.

Man, now I have serious withdrawal symptoms. I am going to Sanparks website now to plan a next trip North.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

The river routes to the North and West of Shingwedzi are great for leopard sightings.
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gustav Preller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    - I asked SWAMBO to marry me at Crooks Corner.

I asked swambo to marry in Olifants.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

she promised me a Brownie, she has so many other options of fulfilling her promise.
    I suggest many night drives!

Never seen one in Kruger...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

Wow guys, that is really special. I sincerely wish you as many years as we have.

I did ask for a divorce once, she said no, why should I be happy.
    Stranger

BMW R1200R

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Ok, so I am stuck on the Brownie...

a) Are you utilising the recently unbanned-for-personal-use good stuff in the form of a baked confectionery?
    b) Are you referring to a Brown Hyena? (If so, some debate on whether there actually ARE any in Kruger with most opinions leaning towards none of them in Kruger).
    c) Another selfless act sometimes promised by wives which, if discussed any further, will lead to a lifetime ban

In any event, please shut up about the North. Don't do any trip reports. We don't want people going there...
    Stephan G

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

We camped at Punda and Tsendze for the 1st time early May this year. Both campsites were great for us. Standard size showers like the rest of SANParks (small / beknop) but ablutions were clean and everything worked.

At Punda you need to arrive early to get a decent spot at or close to the fence and waterhole and then hope that someone doesn't squeeze their lodge into an almost non existing space between you and the fence, and then sit and watch 7de laan or whatever until 22h00 instead of the waterhole. Fortunately this happened on our last day/night

The river drive from Crooks direction Pafuri was great, plenty ellies and buffalo, the lions were very well hidden if close by but the bush was also very dense. Were also lucky to find a spotted hyena and her cub at one of the stormwater pipes next to the road (about 20 metres from the side of the road)

At Tsendze we were allocated a stand in the middle although some fence sites were vacant. The reception at Mopani claimed these were all booked - another surprise - didn't know that you can book a particular site. Still don't know how to go about doing it. Anyway, the bush around Tsendze was also very dense. On the morning of our departure we hit the jackpot. About 1 to 200 metres outside the gate we were blessed with 3 cheetas playing around in an area 50 to 100 metres from the road.

Will definitely go back to these camps if the facilities remain in the condition we found them

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
    The reception at Mopani claimed these were all booked - another surprise - didn't know that you can book a particular site. Still don't know how to go about doing it.
    After you have done your booking, call or email Mopani reception and request a specific site.

Edit: This only applies to Tsendze, no other camps.

Some good info here:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...5-Tsendze-Camp
    Last edited by Groenman; 2019/06/21 at 01:00 PM.
    Stephan G

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Some people always complain about Kruger not being "the same" because of all the OSV's blocking the roads, and being trampled by the masses. I do agree, and therefor stay away from the south (OK, I will stop as special places like Lake Panic). So over the years we have build a special relationship with the northern parts. Hope you can do the same.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Some people always complain about Kruger not being "the same" because of all the OSV's blocking the roads, and being trampled by the masses. I do agree, and therefor stay away from the south (OK, I will stop as special places like Lake Panic). So over the years we have build a special relationship with the northern parts. Hope you can do the same.
    Thanks, appreciate that. Last time we were in the South we got caught in a jam, the behaviour from the public, the OSV's and San Parks employees was disgraceful. For our anniversary we want some me time and peace and serenity.

As for the Brownie, well, after 40 years of marriage, you never know what you are going to get. She is a good cook
    Stranger

BMW R1200R

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Thanks, appreciate that. Last time we were in the South we got caught in a jam, the behaviour from the public, the OSV's and San Parks employees was disgraceful. For our anniversary we want some me time and peace and serenity.

As for the Brownie, well, after 40 years of marriage, you never know what you are going to get. She is a good cook
    On that promised trip report: We want full disclosure!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Bird Valley Estate Cramond Kzn outside Pietermaritzburg

Hi
    Also have never done the North. Going 24 August
    Going to Punda followed by 2 Nights Mockford cottage near the Pafuri/crooks corner area then Shindwezi working south
    16 days in total
    Tough being retired
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

We have had 3 leopard sitings over the years on the Letaba river drives east of the camp it could be a nice little drive from Tsendze and back. Good luck, brownies are as scarce as leopards in the park

b) Are you referring to a Brown Hyena? (If so, some debate on whether there actually ARE any in Kruger with most opinions leaning towards none of them in Kruger).

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruge...ts/mammals.pdf

I see Sanparks do list them... But yes, never seen one there. I do not even know of someone that has seen one...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

33. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

In any event, please shut up about the North. Don't do any trip reports. We don't want people going there...
    The north is probably Krugers best secret, but then why share it with others? Because it takes a special person to enjoy that side of the park...those that truly appreciate nature. Some may stumble upon these threads head up there and never return and that's OK. It definitely isn't a place for traffic jam causing, race from one sighting to the next kind of person. I'm taking swambo up there in December and it's her first time, I can't wait to show her the quiet more refreshing side of the park. My favourite is the Fever Tree forest and drive along the luvhuvhu river.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast