Kruger North - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Kruger North

Default Re: Kruger North

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    I know, it's a tough one, wanting to keep these best kept secrets to ourselves, lest they get spoiled by the masses, or wanting to share our experiences with the world what with it being so easy to these days.

What we are trying to do is promote responsible tourism, in that you need to be aware the earth is getting a little crowded and lots of other people may also want to appreciate these beautiful places, and they should be allowed to, respectfully. It could be seen by some as selfish to want to hide such things from others, and to be honest, I'm on the fence with that one.

With all that said, here is a bit of a shameless plug for an article we wrote on Kruger north:

https://www.thetravellingchilli.com/...rom-the-north/
    It is all tongue in the cheek So, relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    We don't get it. Here we are sitting facing the fence (at Punda), watching the real show and there are people behind us in their caravan watching TV with their backs to the fence. Just do the rest of us a favour and stay at home, please. This is where the selfish part comes in, taking up spaces at these locations and denying others the opportunity to experience them for what they truly are.

Well lets nog generlize here... Differant people, differant things. Examples. I go to Kruger mostly around twice a year. (This year 5 times on the cards. ) But, they are all very short trips for long weekends mostly. So I need to pack in as much as possible. You will therefore not catch me dead infront of a TV in kruger.

However...

A few years ago an elderly gentleman approaches my father in law in Satara. Asks him polity when they are moving on to the next camp. He says the next day, and ask why the gentleman is inquiring this.

The gentlemen proceeds to explain that him and his wife, both been retired for a number of years, come to Kruger 55 days at a time. They had just arrived and they normally stay on the same camping spot in Satara (where my father in law was camping out). The old gentlemen had no problem with waiting for my father in law to leave, but he wants to be sure he is ready to take over the stand when they leave. (Something about this specific stand having afternoon shade, close to ablution etc...)

Jealous about the 55 day camping stint in Satara, my father in law asks him a bit more about his set up and what he does in all that time. He responds that he brings along his caravan with a double tent. Sets up a washing machine, "sitting room" and even the telly for the soaps and news etc.... Some days the whole day at a single waterhole... Some days they don't even leave camp.

Then the kicker... On their way in they saw the whole big five and cheetahs and wild dogs....

So.... Why should be be angry if they bring a television along?
    Last edited by New; 2019/07/05 at 02:03 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Well lets nog generlize here... Differant people, differant things. Examples. I go to Kruger mostly around twice a year. (This year 5 times on the cards. ) But, they are all very short trips for long weekends mostly. So I need to pack in as much as possible. You will therefore not catch me dead infront of a TV in kruger.

However...

A few years ago an elderly gentleman approaches my father in law in Satara. Asks him polity when they are moving on to the next camp. He says the next day, and ask why the gentleman is inquiring this.

The gentlemen proceeds to explain that him and his wife, both been retired for a number of years, come to Kruger 55 days at a time. They had just arrived and they normally stay on the same camping spot in Satara (where my father in law was camping out). The old gentlemen had no problem with waiting for my father in law to leave, but he wants to be sure he is ready to take over the stand when they leave. (Something about this specific stand having afternoon shade, close to ablution etc...)

Jealous about the 55 day camping stint in Satara, my father in law asks him a bit more about his set up and what he does in all that time. He responds that he brings along his caravan with a double tent. Sets up a washing machine, "sitting room" and even the telly for the soaps and news etc.... Some days the whole day at a single waterhole... Some days they don't even leave camp.

Then the kicker... On their way in they saw the whole big five and cheetahs and wild dogs....

Had the same experience recently in Satara. Couple visiting Kruger for 3 months. Brought the TV. Not camping next to the fence, they were really respectful to others regarding the TV noise. Three sides to a story!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    It is all tongue in the cheek So, relax.
    I know that
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    15 members viewing this thread - Dirk close it now!!!

Oh another thing, if you are on your way to the North from the South (and passing through New's Central part), take note that there is a new road the S147. It is a one way off the H1-4 in the Ngotso Dam area, just south of where the Timbavati Road comes out. We saw a leopard with cub there.

Edit: See attached pic of mapAttachment 532894

I went driving on the road shortly after they opened it. Amazing little road, and the sightings on it..... wow.

Had the same experience recently in Satara. Couple visiting Kruger for 3 months. Brought the TV. Not camping next to the fence, they were really respectful to others regarding the TV noise. Three sides to a story!
    I meant to add this to my 'rant'. I actually don't have a problem with people watching TV in Kruger or other such places, especially if you're there for 3 months at a time. Lion kills might just get boring after a while. Just so long as you're as respectful to your neighbours in camp as you are at home. You do respect your neighbours, right?

Also, if you think you'll be watching TV in camp, try not to hog a prime location close to a waterhole or fence. ;-)
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/07/05 at 02:49 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Wow what an interesting post. Swambo and I retired on 30th June, drove from Harare to CT, collected our new Baobab from Bush Lapa (our house for the next two years) on Wednesday last week. We have spent the last few days making mods to our car and Baobab and start our trip in earnest on Sunday next week after a brief trial trip at Bontebok NP. Our first "real" trip is 31 days in Kruger from 18th July to 18th August. We enter at Malelane and exit at Pafuri. We have 20 nights in the"Central/North" including Satara, Maroela, Tsendze, Letaba, Shingwedzi and Punda Maria. From this post it looks like we are spending too many nights in the South, we’ll make certain that we tell any fellow campers how awful the North is!!!
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2019/07/07 at 07:09 AM.
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Baie dankie aan almal vir al die nuttige wenke en fotos -- ek gaan 3 aande elk in Punda en Shingwedzi kamp vroeg in Augustus - op my eie .., en kan nie wag nie, was so 8 jaar laas in die heel noorde. Darem eers 6 dae in die suide/middel met familie (in hutte).
    A bit of advice, please : Leaving Kruger from Punda, which is the advised/better route to Pietersburg-- R81 via Giyani, or R524 via Thoyandou to Louis Trichardt? Thanks.
    Jan Heyneke

Dubbel battery van Genesyz
    Frontrunner dakrak
    Big Country sleephak
    Self-geboude spaarwiel draer

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Heyneke View Post
    Baie dankie aan almal vir al die nuttige wenke en fotos -- ek gaan 3 aande elk in Punda en Shingwedzi kamp vroeg in Augustus - op my eie .., en kan nie wag nie, was so 8 jaar laas in die heel noorde. Darem eers 6 dae in die suide/middel met familie (in hutte).
    A bit of advice, please : Leaving Kruger from Punda, which is the advised/better route to Pietersburg-- R81 via Giyani, or R524 via Thoyandou to Louis Trichardt? Thanks.
    You really shouldn't go there it's not that nice but if you really have to go the R81is the better route.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Is the R525 an option? Maybe a few km's longer but quite scenic and does not go through too many habitated rural areas.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

Thanks -- I did the 525 many years ago and recall its beauty and how quiet it was --- but the 525 adds about 100KM to the R524 route plus the time to get to the Pafuri gate in the Kruger further adds up to about 2,5 hour longer journey than via R524 (as per T4A on Garmin).
    Jan Heyneke

Dubbel battery van Genesyz
    Frontrunner dakrak
    Big Country sleephak
    Self-geboude spaarwiel draer

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post

However...

Well at least the 7de Laaners dont worry me at Rooiputs ...where there are No facilities and 6 remote from each other camp sites ..The way I like it ..TV bly by die Huis Name:  Full Moon over Rooiputs.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  398.1 KB

We will be visiting Kruger North 23rd August to 2nd September. When we are up in the Pafuri Area do we have to stay at any specific location to be able to visit Lanner Canyon, or is there anyway we can get near enough to see the canyon from being in Kruger. We have read this 6 page thread and thanks for all the North Kruger inputs. We have not been in the area since early 90's.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    We will be visiting Kruger North 23rd August to 2nd September. When we are up in the Pafuri Area do we have to stay at any specific location to be able to visit Lanner Canyon, or is there anyway we can get near enough to see the canyon from being in Kruger. We have read this 6 page thread and thanks for all the North Kruger inputs. We have not been in the area since early 90's.
    The private lodges up in the north are your only option. See here https://www.returnafrica.com/ & https://www.rareearth.co.za/

The land is in a community trust (Makuleke Contract Park) and is a concession to the private operators. The entire Kruger will eventually go this way in my opinion.

Return Africa has amazing accommodation and walking safaris, it is of-course costly, but it's incredibly beautiful up there. The real fever tree forest is only accessible that side. The fever tree skeletons and odd trees you see up by Crooks Corner, are nothing in comparison to the vast forests up north.

Lanner Gorge is amazing.

Some pictures of when I was up there:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2psTGFfph8WtkgmGA

Be sure to check out the video of the elephants marching through the fever tree forest... (was quite intimidating being on-foot)
    Last edited by Kortgat; 2019/08/06 at 04:32 PM.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    The private lodges up in the north are your only option. See here https://www.returnafrica.com/ & https://www.rareearth.co.za/

The land is in a community trust (Makuleke Contract Park) and is a concession to the private operators. The entire Kruger will eventually go this way in my opinion.

Return Africa has amazing accommodation and walking safaris, it is of-course costly, but it's incredibly beautiful up there. The real fever tree forest is only accessible that side. The fever tree skeletons and odd trees you see up by Crooks Corner, are nothing in comparison to the vast forests up north.

Lanner Gorge is amazing.

Some pictures of when I was up there:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2psTGFfph8WtkgmGA

Be sure to check out the video of the elephants marching through the fever tree forest... (was quite intimidating being on-foot)
    Thank Dieter. Your photos are really great. A bit expensive though. The concession should consider paying day visitors though.

Ja but the TV 7de Laan kykers should rather go to an Oord like Badplaas, Warmbad or Tshipise ..where they are better catered for than a Kruger camp

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Ja but the TV 7de Laan kykers should rather go to an Oord like Badplaas, Warmbad or Tshipise ..where they are better catered for than a Kruger camp
    Why? Did you actually read my post?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    And who are you to decide?

We all camp different. If their TV is not a nuisance, it has nothing to do with anybody.

Who knows, they might be more knowledgeable and bush savvy than you. They might love Kruger just as much as the rest of us.

I anyway cope much better with the faint sound of a TV than other camper's undisciplined snot noses running through my campsite screaming or the sound of plastic scooters through ablution blocks while the parents are borderline falling down drunk and rowdy.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/08/07 at 08:41 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    You cannot normally enter Lanner - on the south side of the Levuhu, the entrance is restricted.
    We did a section of the gorge when doing the Nyalaland trail.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Bookings all confirmed with Kruger and Pafuri River Camp. 4 days Letaba / Oliphants area - 3 days Mopani / Bateleur and then 3 days Pafuri River Camp starting 23rd August 19 then travelling north.. We were going to Zim but decided to cancel for now until things improve. Really looking forward to this trip. I am hoping that being at Pafuri river camp we can get access to the Fever tree forests and Lanner Canyon. I hope to run in to a couple of forum members whilst up there. (Not literally).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6