Ventilated discs

Default Ventilated discs

Had to replace for 2nd time on Swambo's cash-cow

Why can they not be skimmed - apparently thy guys that does the skimming refuse to skim ventilated discs?

I asked for the old ones & want to check if they are warped as the brakes had a horrible shudder after only 30 000 km's...
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Default Re: Ventilated discs

As far as I know they skim ventilated, must have a certain thickness left though.

Friend of mine had his Jeep GC ventilated front discs skimmed the other day, no problem.
    Last edited by staalwol; 2019/06/21 at 07:45 AM.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:

Maybe see if you can't switch to solid disks, I can't see the need for ventilated disks for a kid's commuter. Ventilated disks are specified for high speed and/or heavy weight vehicles.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

what brake pads are you using? maybe switch brand.

If you are trying to same some money on replacing, give Alpha in Parow Industria (junction road) a call and buy direct.

please note: I merely came accros this on youtube and am not brand bashing toyota, watch the video.

actually the other day on Youtube Andrew STP White has and issue with his land cruiser brakes also going horribly wrong after 9000km. Toyota blames the red sand down in Aus as the culprit for disc wear. He switched over to another brake disc and pad supplier (aftermarket) and after 31k they are still good.

Possible a bad batch/material defect on parts fitted?

If you change your pads and discs its important to bed them in properly. If you don't, they can develop a shudder.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...In-Your-Brakes

Here are the basic steps on how to bed your brakes:

1. The bedding-in process requires lots of accelerating and quick decelerating. Perform this process early in the morning and in a low-traffic area so that you avoid other vehicles.
    2. From 60 MPH, apply the brakes gently a few times to bring them up to their usual operating temperature. This prepares your pads and rotors for the high heat generated in the next steps.
    3. Make a near-stop from 60 to about 10 MPH. Press the brakes firmly, but not so hard that the ABS engages or the wheels lock. Once you've slowed down, immediately speed up to 60 MPH and apply the brakes again. Perform this cycle 8-10 times. Do not come to a complete stop! If you hold the brake pedal down while stopped you will leave excessive pad material on the rotors and ruin your braking performance.
    4. Once you've performed that final near-stop, accelerate and drive a bit more, trying to use the brakes as little as possible so they can cool down. Again, do not come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot. (Avoid traffic!)
    5. If you are bedding in performance/racing brakes, you may have to perform extra near-stops from a higher speed.

Some more notes about bedding:

• Brand new brake pads and rotors will have very little braking power on their first few applications. Gently apply your brakes from low speeds a few times to establish some grip before you take your vehicle onto the highway or busy roads.
    • Don't immediately bed your brakes if you have brand new rotors with phosphate, cadmium, or zinc plating. Do some normal driving to polish the plating off the rotors before bedding in your brakes.
    • After you perform the break-in cycle you should see a light gray film and a slight blue tint on the rotor face. The gray film is material from the pads transferring onto the rotor face, and the blue tint indicates that the rotor has reached the proper break-in temperature. These are good signs that you have bedded your brakes properly.
    • Some brakes, such as big brake kits or new pads installed onto old rotors, may require a second bed-in cycle. Let the brakes cool down fully before performing the second cycle.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Thanks Guys,

First set was replaced by Nissan Stealer in 2017: about R1000 for the pad kit & R3000 for the 2 discs ...I know - ripp-off!

2nd set was at Speedy Fitment 2 days ago: also just under R1000 for the pads & R1600 for the 2 discs

Not sure how the brakes where man-handled by now, but thanks for the bedding in process - Told swambo to take it easy, but she drives like a rally driver & it is a daily dirt road up & down the mountain.
    Dunno what brand pads was fitted - will check.

My X1 also has these ventilated discs - Done 80000km with no issues & probably good for another 50000km (maybe it is the Pilot)

Good to know that they can be skimmed - next time will go to another Town if need be

brakes and braking tech is a topic on its own.

but regarding the bedding in - it helps get that spongy feeling out of the brakes when they're brand spanking new.
    i've always done a similar process, albeit, not as many as listed. haha
    '01 HB DC 3.2D 4X4 (SE)

Quote Originally Posted by N0ddy View Post
    brakes and braking tech is a topic on its own.

but regarding the bedding in - it helps get that spongy feeling out of the brakes when they're brand spanking new.
    i've always done a similar process, albeit, not as many as listed. haha
    If brakes are spongy it could mean they need some bleeding of air that gets in the brake fluid system when changing pads, sometimes they will open the brake fluid cap so that pushing in the piston in the caliper is easier- this allows air into the system sometimes.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

You can skim ventilated discs. We experienced some shudder on braking 2 years ago so I called a mobile guy I found online.

I wasn't at home when he did the skimming, but the cost was R600 for coming out, skimming the front discs and putting on the new pads I bought. Brakes have been excellent ever since.

I think it was http://www.mobilediscskimming.co.za/ .
    Last edited by El 4 Romeo; 2019/06/22 at 09:35 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El 4 Romeo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    If brakes are spongy it could mean they need some bleeding of air that gets in the brake fluid system when changing pads, sometimes they will open the brake fluid cap so that pushing in the piston in the caliper is easier- this allows air into the system sometimes.
    i also read up on this, and one guy who works for a brake fitment place said the same thing.
    my question though is: When pushing the pistons back, which forces the brake fluid back up the tubes into the reservoir, how would air get past the fluid into the system?
    The sponginess disappeared after i did the procedure for bedding in - IMHO, this negates the "air in system" theory. not so?

i am by no means an expert or engineer on this, hence the feedback and perhaps input.
    Not to hijack the thread though - keeping it to brake talk.
    Last edited by N0ddy; 2019/06/24 at 08:56 AM.
    '01 HB DC 3.2D 4X4 (SE)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Thanks Guys,

...but she drives like a rally driver & it is a daily dirt road up & down the mountain.
    The dirt road will introduce sand/dust to the braking system and this will contribute to the faster wear on the brakes, if she is heavy on the brakes on the down-hill sections this will also have an effect.
    The design diffs of the rims and ventilation between her car and yours might also explain the diff in wear between the two vehicles.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    The dirt road will introduce sand/dust to the braking system and this will contribute to the faster wear on the brakes, if she is heavy on the brakes on the down-hill sections this will also have an effect.
    The design diffs of the rims and ventilation between her car and yours might also explain the diff in wear between the two vehicles.
    Might have a point, I rarely touch the brakes when downhill on the dirt road - turning left/right while going down the dusty hills is probably not that kind to the discs