Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion

Pull the motor and let somebody that knows that engine build it for you. Then just put it back in....

Courier is not that expensive.
    Last edited by Henris; 2019/06/23 at 03:01 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Pull the motor and let somebody that knows that engine build it for you. Then just put it back in....

Courier is not that expensive.
    Good suggestion!

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

Quote Originally Posted by Machiel View Post
    I tried that route, but staying in Postmasburg, where the closest reputable guy might be in Kimberley or Upington (both over 200 km away from me), that option is not doable. That is why I thought I'll ask the Pajero owners/lovers on this site for their inputs into my predicament.

Getting another motor and replacing, or converting to Lexus I can do myself.

But to take the vehicle somewhere might be a problem. I can't take the chance of trying to drive it so far in the current condition.
    [QUOTE=Machiel;4170255]Also a rookie mistake .[/QUOTE

Machiel you did get very valuable info so far . I pressume you count your Randelas now, everyone does.

I know it will be more expensive , but if it was me .......

Make a plan, Load it on a trailer and take it to a reliable Pajero workshop , you already got the info . Or call Henris on the forum for quote .
    If you totally sure you need a new engine which it probarely seems to be the case , source a original replacement engine . You got the relevant info by now.

Safe up!! Don't be penny wise and pound foolish now, we all do it every now and again .
    Most important , Let someone reliable who really knows, assisting and helping you or let them doing the the whole job.

Reading the symptoms again, I am not 100% convinved the motor is shot, although I will not guve myself out as an expert.

Maybe call Arnold Venter and hear his opinion before you do anything else? 0764020046.

He is regarded as one of the most knowledgable Mitshi mechanics out there.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    Reading the symptoms again, I am not 100% convinved the motor is shot, although I will not guve myself out as an expert.

Maybe call Arnold Venter and hear his opinion before you do anything else? 0764020046.

He is regarded as one of the most knowledgable Mitshi mechanics out there.
    Was thinking the same.

Read the engine codes by shorting pin 1 of the OBD plug to earth. A quick Google and you should find the instructions. PM me if you can't.

The wiring around the diesel pump gets very hot, it is relatively easy to remove test and replace/repair.

Speed sensors go bad, the IRS no test to diagnose then as bad. Even the new ones i purchased failed the Mitsubishi test.

There are a number of diagnostic procedures that can be carried out on the pump, again PM me if you can't find them.

Having said all that if you CAN get an import engine for R4500 with diesel pump then get one and put it in, new speed sensors alone will cost you over R3k. Oh and let me know if you do, coz if they have 2 I'll buy the other one

If you HAVE to do a conversion due to repair cost, what about the Mits 2.8?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hanny For This Useful Post:

Forgot to mention... all that assumes that the engine doesn't need a rebuild (I'm 99% sure you won't get a new diesel pump with an import engine so you still need to diagnose the old one).

Good luck!

Take the advise of some of the guys who say no.

I buy and sell Pajeros as a hobby as I am retired.

Try selling that vehicle with that conversion. Impossible.

Replace the motor with another Pajero motor.

When something goes wrong with the Lexus motor each person looking at it will blame the other person who fitted it that they did not do it correctly.

How do you get the correct part if something goes wrong as there are different models and computers for the Lexus motors.

Really a total waste of money and you are degrading a Pajero by putting in a Toyota motor anyway.

Replace the motor with another Pajero motor.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Renagade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Personally, I like that 3.2DiD. So this is a bit biased.

I would much rather part with about R30k and keep the 3.2DiD.

Yes the Lexus makes nice power, but the acquisition of the motor is a small part of the expense. The fitting and finishing it is the big job. And then nothing is std, ever again.

The day you want to sell, you will be lucky to see R30k.

Stick with the 3.2DiD.
    You are 100% correct in saying the acquisition is only part of the cost. When I converted my BMW E46 to Lexus V8, I did a very careful estimate (doing everything myself saved a bit) that it should cost around R 45 000. In the end I spent nearly R 80 000. I overlooked a lot of stuff, bigger radiator, shortening of the original propshaft, oilcooler for the gearbox, etc, etc. Next time I am considering such a change, I will work out my estimate and then double up on it. Even then it might still be more expensive. Although I really enjoy my BMW tremendously, a lot of things I still can't get going, like the revcounter (on the original it works off the BMW management), aircon, cruise control, etc. The aircon does blow, but the aircon on a BMW is designed in such a way that it will only allow you to change where it blows air as soon as it picks up all the relevant engine sensors, such as engine running, load etc. If not, it will only blow the air in the top vents. So, cooling down your feet is not an option since the transplant....

You are 100% correct in saying the acquisition is only part of the cost. When I converted my BMW E46 to Lexus V8, I did a very careful estimate (doing everything myself saved a bit) that it should cost around R 45 000. In the end I spent nearly R 80 000. I overlooked a lot of stuff, bigger radiator, shortening of the original propshaft, oilcooler for the gearbox, etc, etc. Next time I am considering such a change, I will work out my estimate and then double up on it. Even then it might still be more expensive. Although I really enjoy my BMW tremendously, a lot of things I still can't get going, like the revcounter (on the original it works off the BMW management), aircon, cruise control, etc. The aircon does blow, but the aircon on a BMW is designed in such a way that it will only allow you to change where it blows air as soon as it picks up all the relevant engine sensors, such as engine running, load etc. If not, it will only blow the air in the top vents. So, cooling down your feet is not an option since the transplant....
    Enough said... Ek dink jy weet nou teen die tyd wat om te doen...

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

There is of course a sad reality here, as I am finding now, and that is the actual value of the vehicle as seen by other potential buyers. Do a conversion to another motor and the value will be less than scrap (i.e. stripped you'd probably get more). To you it may be gold, but to anybody else, a turd on wheels. As I am finding now, my 2005 3.2Did Exceed 7 seater would only sell for around R75k even though it's in really good nick, but it has 300,000 km on the clock, and nobody wants it. If it was a Defender, same age and mileage, probably R180k to R200k - go figure!

So spending R50k or R100k on your Paj to fix it, you better hope to drive it a long time because you just won't see that value again any other way.

So, I'm sorry to sound negative, but please do your sums first, and then see if it makes any sense to spend any more money now or rather cut your loss and get rid of it to whoever will take it away....

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter van Eeden View Post
    Enough said... Ek dink jy weet nou teen die tyd wat om te doen...
    Ek begin nogal so dink. Ek het 'n engine opgespoor wat binnekort uit Japan uit verskeep. R 38 000 en dis nog steeds goedkoper as wat ek oorspronklik verwag het as ek Lexus toe sou gaan. En soos almal saamtem, dit sal sorg dat die voertuig sy waarde beter hou. Nie dat ek van plan is om die outjie te smous nie. Vroulief het my klaar baie vriendelik ingelig dat dit dalk sal veroorsaak dat my lewenspolis vroeër sal uitbetaal as ek dit sou waag.....

Quote Originally Posted by colinwp View Post
    There is of course a sad reality here, as I am finding now, and that is the actual value of the vehicle as seen by other potential buyers. Do a conversion to another motor and the value will be less than scrap (i.e. stripped you'd probably get more). To you it may be gold, but to anybody else, a turd on wheels. As I am finding now, my 2005 3.2Did Exceed 7 seater would only sell for around R75k even though it's in really good nick, but it has 300,000 km on the clock, and nobody wants it. If it was a Defender, same age and mileage, probably R180k to R200k - go figure!

So spending R50k or R100k on your Paj to fix it, you better hope to drive it a long time because you just won't see that value again any other way.

So, I'm sorry to sound negative, but please do your sums first, and then see if it makes any sense to spend any more money now or rather cut your loss and get rid of it to whoever will take it away....
    I see your point, but since my wife wants it, I will spend whatever is necessary to make it as reliable as possible for her. I will keep on driving my Lexus Beemer, it gives me tremendous pleasure or the Amarok, which is also reasonably light on fuel and a very good off-roader. Since the body on this Pajero is in very good nick, only one small dent as big as a 10 cent coin, it can still do quite a few miles, especially if the wife drives it....

Here is your answer to make the rev counter on the BM work. All you need to do is find the rev counter input on the instrument cluster.

I have done this on a Ranger with a Ford 302 v8 conversion.
    Dakota also make nice GPS speedo interfaces have two running on v8 conversions.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm
    Last edited by grips; 2019/06/24 at 04:38 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The Patrol never had a V6 ..................
    SORRY for Hi-jacking this post...

Yes, some of them did!! They were actually, the old type V6 (was it called a D20?) bakkies somewhere in the mid to late 1990s (like the square Sani 3.0 V6), yet they were called Patrols. (STRANGE BUT TRUE)

https://www.automart.co.za/cars/niss...993-id-5303408

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Jelo, the original 3.0 V6 PATROL sticker is still on this one...

Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/06/26 at 01:52 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    SORRY for Hi-jacking this post...

Yes, some of them did!! They were actually, the old type V6 (was it called a D20?) bakkies somewhere in the mid to late 1990s (like the square Sani 3.0 V6), yet they were called Patrols. (STRANGE BUT TRUE)
    yes Malcolm I know and both of us know that the D21 "patrol" is not a PATROL it was just some Nissan SA marketing gimmick, gee I think we had this debate 20 years ago on the Nissan forum........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3