Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion

I am between the devil and the deep blue sea, I bought a Gen3 and 2 weeks after buying it (privately), the problems started. Firstly the vehicle did not want to pick up revs, going only to 2000 rpm and smoking like a chimney (everyone tells me it is the diesel pump - R 24 000 to recon). It was semi-driveable but heavy on fuel like nothing I've seen (5km/l at best). Then, whilst driving home from work, the oil light goes on at 100 km/h and the engine gets VERY noisy. Slowing down to 50 km/h, the light went off and the engine got noticeably more quiet. Checking the oil level at home, it went from the full mark to empty in 2 weeks. Where it goes is anyone's guess. I think the turbo is also shot because the shaft feels like it has a bit of play on it, maybe that is where the oil goes...

My big decision to make is - Do I even bother redoing this motor, turbo and whatever else - option 1, do I buy a secondhand unit complete - option 2 (if that is even possible), or do I drop in a Lexus V8 - option 3 preferred, which I have standing around very conveniently at home. Apparently you can fit the Lexus autobox bellhousing straight onto the existing Pajero auto box without any modification and just install the Lexus gearbox oil pump onto the existing box and there you go. Since I have this motor lying around, maybe it is a good conversion to carry out instead of trying to find that all elusive secondhand Pajero diesel motor complete somewhere? What do you guys think, which option would you have settled for? What pitfalls, problems should I look out for, if anyone else have attempted this before?

Default Re: Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion

The 3.2 DiD is the 4M41? One of the usual importers should have them.

As for the Lexus: sure, why not? Then your Gen3 Pajero can be worth nothing and still use 20L/100 kms........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Don't make a decision unless you are 100% sure what is wrong with the Di-D.

Then, listen to Jelo.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

I would follow Jelo's advice as well. The 4m41 is a very strong motor and its biggest Achilles heel is overheating it. Its unfortunately pretty difficult to diagnose remotely whats going on with your diesel pump or why its smoking and chugging fuel. However the high fuel consumption also explains where the oil is going. When you have lots of fuel injected into a cylinder it creates "borewash"which is a dilution the oil with unburnt fuel that gets into your sump and thins the oil out, the two outcomes are higher oil consumption as the oil is diluted enough to pass through valve stem seals and the like and also premature/accelerated wear on friction areas like rings and bearings which you do want to protect anyway. The Mitsu turbo does have a bit of shaft play because its a journal based core. Unless you find significant amount of oil coming out the compressor/exhaust housing i wouldn't stress further. Do a search on how to read codes via the OBD port and check all the vacuum hoses on or around the motor.

i wouldn't drive it till you can nail down the issue of the fuel pump or injectors causing the trouble? I also have a spare set of 4 injectors which if you need to use to diagnose the problem i could help you out with. Drop me a pm about it...
    Curent: VW Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line
    Current: VW G6 GTi DSG

Ex:Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT (Stolen but not forgotten)
    Ex:Paj DiD SWB Auto (Sold but not forgotten)
    Ex:E92 335i 430kw at the wheels! (Sold but not forgotten)

The amount of diesel being dumped through faulty injectors or due to a faulty pump is causing bore wash and will dilute the engine oil.

Diluted engine oil then gets sucked past the rings and turbo seals and gets burned as fuel. Hence all the smoke and the missing oil.

So one causes the other. Your injectors and/or fuel pump were FUBAR as mentioned and you should NOT have driven it like that.

That engine has now also suffered oil starvation and will cost R60k to repair.

If you'd taken the vehicle to Bosch Diesel in Cape Town it would have probably cost R5k for a refurb of the injectors and maximum R10k for the pump. Now you have a huge bill.

I don't know why people treat vehicles like this. Then later they come back to the forum after the damage is done and only then start asking advice.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

As for the Lexus: sure, why not? Then your Gen3 Pajero can be worth nothing and still use 20L/100 kms........
    Ok, not exactly the tone I expected from the Pajero lovers, but ok. I'll own it. I am asking for advice, not for a crucifixion....20L/100km is maybe a bit of an overreach, but that is just my opinion, what do I know. Maybe rather try and provide positive input, not throwing stones? What do you suggest I do, in laymen's terms, stone and sticks aside? Put away the boxing gloves and give me some usable inputs.
    Last edited by Machiel; 2019/06/20 at 08:20 PM.

The amount of diesel being dumped through faulty injectors or due to a faulty pump is causing bore wash and will dilute the engine oil.

Diluted engine oil then gets sucked past the rings and turbo seals and gets burned as fuel. Hence all the smoke and the missing oil.

So one causes the other. Your injectors and/or fuel pump were FUBAR as mentioned and you should NOT have driven it like that.

That engine has now also suffered oil starvation and will cost R60k to repair.

If you'd taken the vehicle to Bosch Diesel in Cape Town it would have probably cost R5k for a refurb of the injectors and maximum R10k for the pump. Now you have a huge bill.

I don't know why people treat vehicles like this. Then later they come back to the forum after the damage is done and only then start asking advice.
    I didn't treat the vehicle like this, that is how I bought it, based on the previous owner's very "honest" opinion of the vehicle. Taking the vehicle to Cape Town is a no go, since I stay 1 100 km from there, so I do believe I am the innocent victim in this scenario. One thing I did learn, Amarok drivers are MUCH more helpful and lenient than Pajero owners, which will rather hang you than support you.... The only reason I bought this piece of human excrement is because my wife wanted one, maybe I should have opted for a Jeep / Volkswagen / Toyota / GWM / insert any name here... instead. thanks guys, real nice support and helpful info provided.
    Last edited by Machiel; 2019/06/20 at 08:31 PM.

Wow, real helpful reply in the current situation. Funny, but that is exactly what I expected. Not a lot of helpful info, but a LOT of stone throwing going on. I did ask for HELP, not for being shot through the head. Read my post again and then help me to get this vehicle going again, without the sticks and stones?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Don't make a decision unless you are 100% sure what is wrong with the Di-D.

Then, listen to Jelo.
    It is very difficult to listen to someone that would rather attack you that assist you....... But maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Machiel View Post
    One thing I did learn, Amarok drivers are MUCH more helpful and lenient than Pajero owners, which will rather hang you than support you
    Hi Machiel,

Please don’t think we are all the same, there are some people who actually own Pajero’s (or who did so in the recent past) who go out of their way to provide useful and accurate info on all manner of Pajero related issues. For this I thank them as I have learned greatly from their superior knowledge.

If you search the forum you will find much discussion on Lexus conversions on a number of different vehicle makes. The Pros and the Cons are discussed. From my limited understanding the Cons seem to be taking the lead, but as I said, that just my limited understanding.

I do however, have some personal experience of engine conversions on vehicles other than Mitsubishi and what I found is:

It is not as simple as it seems, ever,
    It will cost you more than your most carefully worked out budget,
    It will not be right the first time,
    Your vehicle will be out of action for longer than expected,
    The final product will not look as good as you see it in your mind now,
    Future reliability will be questionable,
    The value of the vehicle will reduce dramatically.

I have also read some sad tales of 4m41 rebuilds that have been expensive and less than successful so, if that was my Pajero I would be looking for a good, warranted, low mileage replacement Pajero engine (finding one may be diffiucult but start at parthunt). But I am sure others would differ. I guess only you can make the final call.
    Last edited by Diversions; 2019/06/21 at 07:44 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

A few pointers:
    1. On this forum, the Mitsubishi 3,2 Di-D has built up a reputation as being a good, reliable engine.
      Calling it a POS does not convince.
      You treated it unsympathetically, increasing the possibility of even further damage to a very good (but ill) engine.
      When an engine shows the symptoms you described, it should be shut down and the fault identified (and fixed).
      (That, I think, is very good advice).
    2. You bought it, with the problems evident?
      ... because SWAMBO wanted it?
      You bought the bed, now sleep in it.
    3. The members here gave you very honest, to the point, answers to your request for help.
      Did you expect them to be less than honest?
    4. You became abrasive because the answers did maybe not correspond with your expectations?

Be real, man!
    Last edited by 4eTouareg; 2019/06/21 at 07:19 AM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Hi Michiel,

Also visit the Pajero Owners Club of SA.
    There are over 200 posts about Lexus conversions on various model Pajeros.

Then listen to Jelo's advice

Hope the info will assist in your final action plan.
    Last edited by Diversions; 2019/06/21 at 07:45 AM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

It is very difficult to listen to someone that would rather attack you that assist you....... But maybe it's just me.
    Wow, real helpful reply in the current situation. Funny, but that is exactly what I expected. Not a lot of helpful info, but a LOT of stone throwing going on. I did ask for HELP, not for being shot through the head. Read my post again and then help me to get this vehicle going again, without the sticks and stones?
    Ok, not exactly the tone I expected from the Pajero lovers, but ok. I'll own it. I am asking for advice, not for a crucifixion....20L/100km is maybe a bit of an overreach, but that is just my opinion, what do I know. Maybe rather try and provide positive input, not throwing stones? What do you suggest I do, in laymen's terms, stone and sticks aside? Put away the boxing gloves and give me some usable inputs.
    I gave you advice. I said get an imported or second hand low kilo 4M41 and do the swop.

You wanted advice. I told you a Lexus conversion is foolish.
    - Which ECU for the 1UZ?
    - Support and tuning maps and dyno for this ECU?
    - ABS integration?
    - 4x4 system integration?
    - body control module integration?
    - harness and wiring?
    - aircon pipes and gas?
    - PSU pipes and gas?
    - airbox and inlet manifold integration?
    - engine mount fabrication?
    - radiator?

Must I continue?
    If the guys in CT and Gauteng with all the resources CAN'T do a decent Lexus conversion, how the HELL will you do it in the platteland?

As 4eTouareg says, you bought a lemon, but now you are moaning.
    Percivamus

My honest opinion, stay away from a Luxus conversion. I have yet to see one that is living up to expectations. As others have pointed out, the cons outweigh the pros. To do it properly will cost you more than a recon 3.2.

I suggest you give Fanie at CRD a call. They did a 3.2 conversion as a product on the old 2.8 Colts. He should be able give you good advice about where to source an import motor or what might be wrong with yours. 0847189812.

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter van Eeden For This Useful Post:

Personally, I like that 3.2DiD. So this is a bit biased.

I would much rather part with about R30k and keep the 3.2DiD.

Yes the Lexus makes nice power, but the acquisition of the motor is a small part of the expense. The fitting and finishing it is the big job. And then nothing is std, ever again.

The day you want to sell, you will be lucky to see R30k.

Stick with the 3.2DiD.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Eish guys. Why all the aggro? The OP asked some very pertinent, honest questions. Why being so attacking? No everyone is tecnically inclined or experieced. Would you have done the same to his face?

This just gives a bad taste to all involved. Sometimes I can just shake my head
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2019/06/21 at 08:25 AM.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Well, if it was me, I would drop that Lexus V8 Lump in there in a heart beat.

And, I knew a guy who had a 4.something Nissan Patrol and the engine blew up, so he put in a 1UZ Lexus with the autobox and standard engine management system. He used to get MAYBE 5 kilos to the litre on the original nissan V6, now he gets around 6.5 to 7 km/l.

Do It - dont worry too much about the nay sayers here.

My KIA Diesel also has a serious drinking problem, way way too much for a little 2.5 dieseltjie - perhaps a lexus engine might improve the consumption, but if not at least there will be that sweet V8 sound and POWER so you know where the juice goes !
    Last edited by WAJ; 2019/06/21 at 08:07 AM.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4 SOLD

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Would you have done the same to his face?
    my first response, nay indeed ALL my responses would have been the same as to his face

and his response was aggressive IMHO
    Percivamus

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    And, I knew a guy who had a 4.something Nissan Patrol and the engine blew up, so he put in a 1UZ Lexus with the autobox and standard engine management system. He used to get MAYBE 5 kilos to the litre on the original nissan V6, now he gets around 6.5 to 7 km/l.
    The Patrol never had a V6 ..................
    Percivamus

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Japan Auto has both the versions of the 3.2Did in stock.

Common Rail - R37500
    Non common rail - R4500 ( which the OP's car has I think?)

http://japanauto.co.za/product/mitsu...id-4m41-turbo/

I gave them a call and spoke to Megan - the import engines are estimated to have roundabout/ estimated 100k kilometers on. This is what I would do.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast