Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The Patrol never had a V6 ..................
    OK, then a straight 6... doesnt matter what matters is that the fuel consumption improved with the V8.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4 SOLD

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    and POWER so you know where the juice goes

And this is where I previously burned my fingers.
    All that power and speed and not able to stop .

But then that wasn't a Lexus or a Pajero but thats why I previously said conversions almost always go over budget. Convert one thing and something else will probably need upgrading.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Diversions For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diversions View Post
    Hi Machiel,

Please don’t think we are all the same, there are some people who actually own Pajero’s (or who did so in the recent past) who go out of their way to provide useful and accurate info on all manner of Pajero related issues. For this I thank them as I have learned greatly from their superior knowledge.

If you search the forum you will find much discussion on Lexus conversions on a number of different vehicle makes. The Pros and the Cons are discussed. From my limited understanding the Cons seem to be taking the lead, but as I said, that just my limited understanding.

I do however, have some personal experience of engine conversions on vehicles other than Mitsubishi and what I found is:

It is not as simple as it seems, ever,
    It will cost you more than your most carefully worked out budget,
    It will not be right the first time,
    Your vehicle will be out of action for longer than expected,
    The final product will not look as good as you see it in your mind now,
    Future reliability will be questionable,
    The value of the vehicle will reduce dramatically.

I have also read some sad tales of 4m41 rebuilds that have been expensive and less than successful so, if that was my Pajero I would be looking for a good, warranted, low mileage replacement Pajero engine (finding one may be difficult but start at parthunt). But I am sure others would differ. I guess only you can make the final call.
    Thank you for a very nice and honest response. Afterall, that is what I wanted, a helpful response without the added attitude. Since I am also not an expert on Pajeros by any means, I try to gain as much knowledge as possible before making a decision that will haunt me for life. I already made a mistake by buying this specific Pajero, being in a hurry to get one since they are very scarce in the Northern Cape. I now have to rectify this mistake by choosing the best possible option (selling it is not an option, or my wife will give me a "Skuins klap"...) so I am asking the people that live with these vehicles daily for help. I will continue asking, and just look past the attitude of some responses and hopefully get the answers I am looking for.

Unfortunate that you ended up in this situation. However as a Gen 3 owner I can tell you that they are very capable and comfortable. I would without hesitation tell you source an import engine and drop it straight in. The 3.2 DiD is becoming legendary and suits the Gen 3 perfectly.

I would not consider a conversion, there really is no need to. Far less expensive and less hassles to do a straight swap. You will then get back to having a really good vehicle.

https://www.enginesandmore.co.za/
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Unfortunate that you ended up in this situation. However as a Gen 3 owner I can tell you that they are very capable and comfortable. I would without hesitation tell you source an import engine and drop it straight in. The 3.2 DiD is becoming legendary and suits the Gen 3 perfectly.

I would not consider a conversion, there really is no need to. Far less expensive and less hassles to do a straight swap. You will then get back to having a really good vehicle.

https://www.enginesandmore.co.za/
    Fully agreed!

Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC
    BMW F650 GS Dakar

Wir könnten nur sagen wir lieben Südwest!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter van Eeden For This Useful Post:

@Machiel: I am on my 4th Pajero, and my 2nd 3.2 DID.

My first DID was also sold as a "good runner"... "in daily use".. blah blah...

Long story short, I had to nurse the vehicle back to health.

Had to replace the cylinder head, starter, power steering pump, engine mountings... and a few other odds and sods.
    I also had to have some work done on the diesel pump but that was minor, luckily.

What I did learn during this process is that I am NOT a mechanic but that I can do some things myself.
    I learned that I have no idea what goes on inside the engine though....

So, with that in mind I have come across a community of Mitsubishi Lovers, nay Fanatics, that are always willing to help.
    - They are the primary reason that I bought 3 more Pajero's AFTER the issues I had with the 1st one.

Arnold Venter from Mitsitech Performace, http://www.mitsitechperformance.co.za, is probably one of the best people that I have met in my life. He is always willing to help and he REALLY knows his Mitsubishis. (0870041802)

Henk de Klerk from Pajero Maintenance Services, is based in Pretoria (0833061848)

JC Tree probably has the parts that you need, also in Pretoria, (0769457233)

On this forum is 4ePikanini; Very knowledgeable and loves Mitsi's

The "Mitsubishi Lovers S A" and "Pajero Owners Club of South Africa" on Facebook is an amazing resource.

Phone Arnold & Henk, chat to them and discuss the options.

I would definitely NOT go the Lexus route.

You are welcome to PM me for more information on any of the above.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnaRf.za For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SnaRf.za View Post
    @Machiel: I am on my 4th Pajero, and my 2nd 3.2 DID.

My first DID was also sold as a "good runner"... "in daily use".. blah blah...

Long story short, I had to nurse the vehicle back to health.

Had to replace the cylinder head, starter, power steering pump, engine mountings... and a few other odds and sods.
    I also had to have some work done on the diesel pump but that was minor, luckily.

What I did learn during this process is that I am NOT a mechanic but that I can do some things myself.
    I learned that I have no idea what goes on inside the engine though....

So, with that in mind I have come across a community of Mitsubishi Lovers, nay Fanatics, that are always willing to help.
    - They are the primary reason that I bought 3 more Pajero's AFTER the issues I had with the 1st one.

Arnold Venter from Mitsitech Performace, http://www.mitsitechperformance.co.za, is probably one of the best people that I have met in my life. He is always willing to help and he REALLY knows his Mitsubishis. (0870041802)

Henk de Klerk from Pajero Maintenance Services, is based in Pretoria (0833061848)

JC Tree probably has the parts that you need, also in Pretoria, (0769457233)

On this forum is 4ePikanini; Very knowledgeable and loves Mitsi's

The "Mitsubishi Lovers S A" and "Pajero Owners Club of South Africa" on Facebook is an amazing resource.

Phone Arnold & Henk, chat to them and discuss the options.

I would definitely NOT go the Lexus route.

You are welcome to PM me for more information on any of the above.
    Thanks for the info, I am already looking to find a motor to replace this one with. Funny how the seller always praises the vehicle for how well it runs, and afterwards, when you try to phone him because of all the crap you now have, he is always busy and can't talk right now. He'll phone you back, which never happens. The only good thing about the one I bought is that the body is in a really excellent condition, just one very small dent on the left quarter panel. Further, no real issues with the body. So, if I can get a motor in good nick, this Pajero will provide many more years of service. Is the 2nd hand motors normally sold complete with the dieselpump and turbo? It is pricy items, and it seems the sellers try to make lots of more money by selling it seperately, which is a bit dishonest in my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Machiel View Post
    Is the 2nd hand motors normally sold complete with the dieselpump and turbo?
    I honestly don't know.
    Again, Phone Arnold and Henk and chat to them.

Complete with pump and turbo yes and I think alternator. Aircon compressor not as far as I know.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

fork it

a v8 is nice
    but hindsight is a better conversion.

(see my colt thread in my signature)
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    Sold
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    ...and maximum R10k for the pump....
    Sorry Sir,

Gen 3 diesel pumps easily cost north of R20k to recon, sometimes even in the R30k's!

And then there is not a lot of pump shops that can do it properly. AFAIK Allan Black comes recommended.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thabogrobler For This Useful Post:

Mitsubishi dealers take their Pajero’s with faulty fuel systems to Alan Black
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Machiel View Post
    Thanks for the info, I am already looking to find a motor to replace this one with. Funny how the seller always praises the vehicle for how well it runs, and afterwards, when you try to phone him because of all the crap you now have, he is always busy and can't talk right now. He'll phone you back, which never happens. The only good thing about the one I bought is that the body is in a really excellent condition, just one very small dent on the left quarter panel. Further, no real issues with the body. So, if I can get a motor in good nick, this Pajero will provide many more years of service. Is the 2nd hand motors normally sold complete with the dieselpump and turbo? It is pricy items, and it seems the sellers try to make lots of more money by selling it seperately, which is a bit dishonest in my opinion....
    Michiel, sorry to hear about your predicament, for interest sake because its always good to learn from these experiences of buying a lemon, how did the vehicle drive when you first looked at it and what tests did you do on it/how thoroughly did you look over it?

And in those first 2 weeks of ownership before it started struggling to rev up did it show any other signs of the engine not being in such good running order?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/06/21 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Eish guys. Why all the aggro? The OP asked some very pertinent, honest questions. Why being so attacking? No everyone is tecnically inclined or experieced. Would you have done the same to his face?

This just gives a bad taste to all involved. Sometimes I can just shake my head
    Francious your post are always so level headed...good on you mate

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colinken For This Useful Post:

Everyone is talking conversion and engine replacement. Is it not worth try to establish what is wrong with the current engine. Have a proper assessment done by a pro. Maybe it is only injectors.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Everyone is talking conversion and engine replacement. Is it not worth try to establish what is wrong with the current engine. Have a proper assessment done by a pro. Maybe it is only injectors.
    No that would be too easy, one must always choose the more difficult and manly option like replacing the whole engine if given the choice.

And if a full engine replacement is out of the budget then at least a full set of injectors. And the key here is in not checking the old injectors first - you replace and then ask questions. That's the method that shows the vehicle who's boss and that's an important message to get through to your misbehaving engine.

I know the gen3 well.

I know pajeros well.

A proper lexus conversion will cost more than a replacement Di-D engine and you still won't be happy.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Machiel, sorry to hear about your predicament, for interest sake because its always good to learn from these experiences of buying a lemon, how did the vehicle drive when you first looked at it and what tests did you do on it/how thoroughly did you look over it?

And in those first 2 weeks of ownership before it started struggling to rev up did it show any other signs of the engine not being in such good running order?
    Well, I did take it for a drive, testing the 4X4 in low and high off-road, drove it through town for a while and the only thing I did not do, is crawl under the car and check for damage. Also a rookie mistake because when I eventually checked, the intercooler was stuffed (bent), which then told me the vehicle did maybe have a lot more hammering that I expected. Soon after doing the deal, the vehicle first started surging slightly, then, whilst driving on the open road between Kathu and Postmasburg (after about 2 weeks), it suddenly jerked badly, puffing a huge cloud of white smoke. It was so bad that it even kicked out the cruise control. Thereafter the troubles got worse. It started using oil at an alarming rate and will not rev up. If you drive and you do manage to get it to rev past 2000 rpm, the car pulls strongly and I easily saw 180 km/h on the clock. That confuses me even more, because keeping the revs up, it feels like there is no issues with the vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I tried that route, but staying in Postmasburg, where the closest reputable guy might be in Kimberley or Upington (both over 200 km away from me), that option is not doable. That is why I thought I'll ask the Pajero owners/lovers on this site for their inputs into my predicament. Getting another motor and replacing, or converting to Lexus I can do myself. But to take the vehicle somewhere might be a problem. I can't take the chance of trying to drive it so far in the current condition.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Machiel For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Thinking about Gen3 (3.2 DID) Lexus conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    No that would be too easy, one must always choose the more difficult and manly option like replacing the whole engine if given the choice.

And if a full engine replacement is out of the budget then at least a full set of injectors. And the key here is in not checking the old injectors first - you replace and then ask questions. That's the method that shows the vehicle who's boss and that's an important message to get through to your misbehaving engine.
    I think we already established in this case, the vehicle is boss.... If I was boss, I would not have to ask for help / advice on this site. I would simply pull out the engine and do whatever I deem the best option. Since this is my first rodeo in a Pajero, I will lister to the guys on here to guide me, and hopefully the decision I make will result in me still being invited to Mitsubishi braai events....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast