What on earth is this noise...Hardbody 4x4

Default What on earth is this noise...Hardbody 4x4

First trip to Tankwa Karoo to test the new vehicle and canopy setup.

The moment i turned onto the Tankwa corrugations, which was the worst ive ever experienced in since we have been going there, this metal rattling came up. Cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. At times i can feel it under my feet.

On the open road you can't hear it. 100km down the R355 gravel road i did not hear it. On a 4x4 track its not there. Only on those Tankwa corrugations. No feedback in the steering wheel or anything mechanical for that matter. It's just a random noise.

Exhaust shaking? Maybe a metal heat shield that doesnt like that particular frequency of shaking? I checked under the vehicle, nothing that i can notice...Vehicle has 8000km on it now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Maa...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aZ...B57Rl14Lko6wL7
    Last edited by HomeBrewer; 2019/06/19 at 10:53 PM.

Default Re: What on earth is this noise...Hardbody 4x4

What year model Hardbody? On the D21 with TX10 transfer case, it has a bash plate. If it has taken a hit, it warps, and could end up rattling if one of the "mounting ears" has cracked off. When I first checked mine, it all looked ok, only much later when I had to remove it for some reason, I noticed it was one mounting short. The bolt was there, but it was able to rattle on the broken mount.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

That is a 2008+ NP300 D22 2.5TDi (YD25). I would start by looking at all the heat shields near the exhaust below the floor as well as the bashplates as mentioned by David.
    Nato

'13 Nissan Navara 2.5TDCI DC 4X4
    Ex '08 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD 4x4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to natoburgoffer For This Useful Post:

I would put it on a lift then start with bash plates, engine mountings, shocks and exhaust, while your'e there check the front and rear bumper and tow-bar. Also the drive train.

So tighten everything up, you are going to find the culprit.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Hi i had a 2016 2.4 hi ride dcab that noise sounds exactly like mine did it is a exhaust mounting bracket only when i went to vist my parents on the farm that noise happend thinked mine had like 6000 km on the clock. The braket was in the middle of the bakkie around the feul tank
    Regards

Im going to go get my wheels rotated and alignment done this weekend so ill speak to the guys once its up on the lift.

My first thought was the exhaust. It sounds almost like a metalic tube type sound as if someone is hitting the under carriage with a tube. Was trying to think how i am going to explain this sound for them to check into it under the warranty

My hardbody had a noise like that. Turned out to be the bracked holding the exhaust in place that was loose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gunsmoke For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    Im going to go get my wheels rotated and alignment done this weekend so ill speak to the guys once its up on the lift.

My first thought was the exhaust. It sounds almost like a metalic tube type sound as if someone is hitting the under carriage with a tube. Was trying to think how i am going to explain this sound for them to check into it under the warranty
    If remember correct it is 13mm bolt and locktite solve the issue

Regards

Whats the verdict?
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

haven't had the time to get down to Dunlop to get it up on the lift. Will see if i can do it this week

I have the bakkie up on a lift.

We can c nothing that is causing that noise

I just thought of a situation I had on my old 3.0 SGLI Skyline where the dust cover on the propshaft started catching the gearbox casing because the output bearing was going. Would only happen under heavy load on the propshaft, but became worse with time, and gave funny noises over those rumple type speed calming sections if taken with a bit of speed. It was kind of a grinding and clanking noise at the same time, but kinda bell like tone to it because of the dust cover shape and material. I chased that sound for months. I happened to take the prop off for some reason, and saw the chafing marks on the gearbox by accident. If it was on the top of the box, I would have missed it.

Probably grasping at straws, but it may just help. Would be nice if you could get a recording of the noise.

Check the mounting brackets for the front bumper - the metal ones used to secure the bumper in front of the radiator etc. The bumper is bolted into these metal brackets. I had a very similar noise and it turned out one of the bolts had come out and was doing a brilliant balancing act on the metal bracket and would rattle when on rough corrugated roads etc. How it managed to stay there and not fall off I don't know. I replaced and tightened the bolt - problem solved.

Check the rear number plate bracket where it attaches to the rear valance.The plastic number plate holder is mounted on a metal bracket which just has tabs folded over to attach it to the body. My hardbody's is so loose it moves about three inches to each side in the number plate recess.

finally got to the bottom of it, i hope. Took it in for a service before my Botswana trip. Apparently its the stone guard that was a little lose and the exhaust mount that they tightened up.

I couldn't hear it at all other than those bad roads around Tankwa but apparently on a second test drive the oak at Nissan picked it up. Will be difficult to tell until i get onto a really bad road though