Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)





Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 52

    Default Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Hi guys,

    I'm looking for a set of legal spots which are actually referred to as driving lights I see. So NO LEDS only halogen and must be SABS certified. So far I can only find Hella but can't find a lot of suppliers that keep their full range.

    Are there any other brands to look at before I commit to a set of Hellas? Seems like the right legal options are few and far between
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - 40mm Lift Kit, Steering Damper, Tow Bar, DIY Backboard and underbody plates

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanked: 125

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Why no LED lights? Some vehicles are fitted with these as OEM. If the old "multiple light" chestnut then something like Vision X has only one LED per light. The 4.5" Light Cannons also has the "E" mark so are legal to fit.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wicd For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    33,842
    Thanked: 9145

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    As Wicd says, all lights with the correct E-Mark are legal, including some LED spots.

    try https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/spots

    they are forum members
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Carletonville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,482
    Thanked: 528

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Goldwagen are Hella dealers and can source the legal sets of any type light they produce. They have legal LED "spots". I have not personally checked, but my son tells me his Ironman LED spots he fitted to his Fortuna are legal, but I would not be paying R9k for a set of lights. I could add a fair number of old Comet 500 Hella's at that price. And face it, how many of us have vehicles that can outrun light.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Why no LED lights? Some vehicles are fitted with these as OEM. If the old "multiple light" chestnut then something like Vision X has only one LED per light. The 4.5" Light Cannons also has the "E" mark so are legal to fit.
    I had heard that Namibia was on the hunt for guys with LED spots. No point having lights you need to disconnect when you cross borders. Also from what I saw on websites I couldn't see E1 markings on any LED spots but maybe that's not the best way to check them. I will check out the suggested canons you mentioned. Thank you.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - 40mm Lift Kit, Steering Damper, Tow Bar, DIY Backboard and underbody plates

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Posts
    113
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    As Wicd says, all lights with the correct E-Mark are legal, including some LED spots.

    try https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/spots

    they are forum members
    I have seen these guys and I do like their lights but yeah I was under the impression there's blanket ban on LED spots especially cross border.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - 40mm Lift Kit, Steering Damper, Tow Bar, DIY Backboard and underbody plates

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    33,842
    Thanked: 9145

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    I have seen these guys and I do like their lights but yeah I was under the impression there's blanket ban on LED spots especially cross border.
    LED light bars more likely.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Carletonville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,482
    Thanked: 528

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Strange that Namibia has this "ban" on LED lights when they allow cars to run the roads with non E rated lights. Cars that can't make it into South Africa because they dont have E rated lights and lenses, and which the manufacturer just does not care to have "legalised" so as to sell their product here. They say the cost does not justify legalizing it for ZA, but Namibia is happy for the car to be sold as is.

    We are deprived of the Suzuki Gypsey in South Africa because of this. That said, the Namibian authorities will have a hard time "renouncing" an internationally accepted certification on equipment and subsequent ban on their roads. Your problem is, do you have the time and money fighting it.

    Just slap some Comet 500s on the front of your car and be done with it.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,707
    Thanked: 909

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    I have seen these guys and I do like their lights but yeah I was under the impression there's blanket ban on LED spots especially cross border.
    That is entirely untrue, the debate is about light bars, not LED spots.

    But let's NOT start this debate again, there is a thread with 5000 posts on the subject in the Nam forum
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilderness
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,072
    Thanked: 982

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Bosch Diesel Electric in your town.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    49
    Posts
    458
    Thanked: 143

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    That is entirely untrue, the debate is about light bars, not LED spots.

    But let's NOT start this debate again, there is a thread with 5000 posts on the subject in the Nam forum
    Depends how the cop feels on that day, had feedback about fines for LED spots... Seems nobody knows what they are doing. Whatever, I don't think I want to drive a 1000km to a remote court.

    I will not take the chance with the way they interpret the law... Crazy
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ-Namibia For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ-Namibia View Post
    Depends how the cop feels on that day, had feedback about fines for LED spots... Seems nobody knows what they are doing. Whatever, I don't think I want to drive a 1000km to a remote court.

    I will not take the chance with the way they interpret the law... Crazy
    This is true. I was asked to remove my LED spots on the hilux close to Gobabis and I had to plead with the officer that I have no idea how they are connected which might result in in the vehicle catching fire.

    Had to pay a R500 fine.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Carletonville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,482
    Thanked: 528

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    This is true. I was asked to remove my LED spots on the hilux close to Gobabis and I had to plead with the officer that I have no idea how they are connected which might result in in the vehicle catching fire.

    Had to pay a R500 fine.
    But were they legal LED spots

    I laughed at my son who got Toyota to factory fit a LED lightbar behind his brand new Fortuna bumper, and nearly had has car taken off the road going into Namibia with the car only two weeks old.

    Not sure how he got out of that one, but I see his lightbar is now on the roof of the Dakar, with another one facing to the rear as a reverse light. Has not been stopped yet, but I'm waiting for the call so I can tell him "I told you so" .
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  19. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Langebaanweg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,067
    Thanked: 666

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Go for the Comet 3003 by Hella.

    More traditional but very potent spotlight.

    And cheaper than the LED.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

    84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work




    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanked: 634

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Another question if I may;

    I have Warn spots on my Isuzu and one's lens was broken by (I presume) a stone.

    Are these lenses available as loose units?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,104
    Thanked: 557

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Classic KC Daylighter 6" Black Powder Coated Steel Housing 100 Watt H3 Halogen Bulb (Replaceable) - 200,000 Candlepower Spot (Pencil) Beam

    https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...m+Light+System

    Best lights I have ever owned, Halogen set on myu Patrol (transferred from my previous Patrol) and a HID set on my Pathfinder (Transferred from my Terrano).

    I prefer the Halogens, the HIDs take a while to light up to strength.

    - Comes with a 23 year warrantee
    - Spares (e.g. lenses and refectors) always available through the importer in Cape Town.
    - You can also get transparent "clip on" Lexan lens covers, in white and/or yellow, so with yellow lens covers, they can act as fog lights as well.
    - Comes with full installation kit; harnass, relay, switch, cable ties and connectors plus full installation leaflet.
    - Two types of lenses available, one with clear glass (Spot Lamp) the other a ribbed glass, as per driving (or fog) lamps.
    - You can order one with clear and other with ribbed glass
    - The Lexan covers must be ordered as extra items.
    - If you want to fit the Lexan lens covers, you have to remove the plastic cage that come with the Holgen Lights
    - The Hologens come in a stainless steel housing. You can order it in lightly polished stainless steel or powder-coated black. (mine are black)
    - The HID models come in black plastic only, with its electrickery box built into the housing.

    Worth ever cent!!


    Beware - You get an exact "lookalike" copy of these stainless steel lights in both black or in silver (not marked as KCs though), that start rusting after a year
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/06/22 at 10:01 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    112
    Thanked: 47

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    So here's my 10 cent's worth:

    Have just invested in a set of 70w night raiders, after asking about the legality issue.

    From Pieter Myburgh at extreme lights:

    "There is confusion around this is mainly because of the inconsistent way in which the law is being applied in some cases.

    The E mark is what they look for and that makes it legal .

    In Namibia they sometimes count the 7 LEDs as 7 separate lights."


    So as Jelo says, In SA at least, the E mark makes it legal (as long as it is not a light bar mounted across the centre line of the vehicle, (or spots with the E mark mounted on the roof!))

    I trust that even in Nam, the authorities will eventually get with the program and factor in advances in technology.

    JFH you mentioned the Hella Comet 3003, I don't know what the lumen output is for those but the Hella Supernova 6" is 2850 lumen, wheras the night raider is 6300.

    What I like about LED's is the current draw from the cranking battery vs lumen output ratio.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lxv For This Useful Post:


  26. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Elarduspark
    Age
    48
    Posts
    981
    Thanked: 188

    Default Re: Driving Light suppliers (aka spotlights)

    Same set of black KC spots have been following me from one Landy to the next for 17 years now. Still on the first set of lenses and never had issues with them.
    I second you on their value for money.


    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Classic KC Daylighter 6" Black Powder Coated Steel Housing 100 Watt H3 Halogen Bulb (Replaceable) - 200,000 Candlepower Spot (Pencil) Beam

    https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/...m+Light+System

    Best lights I have ever owned, Halogen set on myu Patrol (transferred from my previous Patrol) and a HID set on my Pathfinder (Transferred from my Terrano).

    I prefer the Halogens, the HIDs take a while to light up to strength.

    - Comes with a 23 year warrantee
    - Spares (e.g. lenses and refectors) always available through the importer in Cape Town.
    - You can also get transparent "clip on" Lexan lens covers, in white and/or yellow, so with yellow lens covers, they can act as fog lights as well.
    - Comes with full installation kit; harnass, relay, switch, cable ties and connectors plus full installation leaflet.
    - Two types of lenses available, one with clear glass (Spot Lamp) the other a ribbed glass, as per driving (or fog) lamps.
    - You can order one with clear and other with ribbed glass
    - The Lexan covers must be ordered as extra items.
    - If you want to fit the Lexan lens covers, you have to remove the plastic cage that come with the Holgen Lights
    - The Hologens come in a stainless steel housing. You can order it in lightly polished stainless steel or powder-coated black. (mine are black)
    - The HID models come in black plastic only, with its electrickery box built into the housing.

    Worth ever cent!!


    Beware - You get an exact "lookalike" copy of these stainless steel lights in both black or in silver (not marked as KCs though), that start rusting after a year
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •