2008 2dr Rubicon strange noise

Default 2008 2dr Rubicon strange noise

Hi

I am having a strange noise that seems to come from my front drive line only when moving.
    The best way I can describe the noise is of dry rubber rubbing on itself or on something. That squeeky sort of sound. No clanks, whirring or any other mechanical noise.
    A Quick inspection underneath revealed nothing. I do not need to have power go through the driveline, hear the squeek when pushing the car and only once I have driven a while, i.e. everything is up to operating temp.
    The squeek is not like a squeek-squeek-squeek, but rather a constant squeeeeeeeeeeeek when moving.

It is rather difficult to be under the car and drive, so I was wondering if someone here might suspect something or had something similar? I want to get under the car again this weekend and have a proper look around, but if someone could point me in the right direction it will help a great deal.

I have a 1.5" - 2" lift and 33" BFG's. Also it's the manual if that's worth anything.

Thanx!
    Last edited by ShakesReaper; 2019/06/20 at 07:50 AM.

Default Re: 2008 2dr Rubicon strange noise

Brake disk rubbing on a stone? They get caught between the disk and the stone shield.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

when was the lift installed?

I had a squeaking sound, which we found, was the isolators were missing from the one budget lift that was done. this was whenever I went over any bumps or while driving, it wasn't however consistent like yours but was a definite squeak as opposed to a whine.

I will check the stone between disk and cover, but it does not sound like a stone/grinding noise, but like destinct rubber rubbing, like a dry CV boot having too much flex.

I bought the jeep with the lift installed last year, so no idea when it was installed. There is no change in noise when accelerating, braking, going over bumps or anything. only change is with vehicle speed. as soon as it is moving (when hot), the squeek starts.

I read somewhere about the front axle u-joints and the caps that walked out? Any ideas what this ouk is referring to?
    Last edited by ShakesReaper; 2019/06/20 at 08:18 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ShakesReaper For This Useful Post:

So I am thinking that if I cannot see any obvious issues, I want the remove my front driveshaft to try and isolate the issue.
    My question no is: can I drive around normally with the front DS removed? obviously no 4WD, but just normal commuting?

You can drive with out the front , no problem , I have also driven mine in fwd from Pietersburg , no problem can be done
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesReaper View Post
    I will check the stone between disk and cover, but it does not sound like a stone/grinding noise, but like destinct rubber rubbing, like a dry CV boot having too much flex.

I bought the jeep with the lift installed last year, so no idea when it was installed. There is no change in noise when accelerating, braking, going over bumps or anything. only change is with vehicle speed. as soon as it is moving (when hot), the squeek starts.

I read somewhere about the front axle u-joints and the caps that walked out? Any ideas what this ouk is referring to?
    so no change in the speed or pitch of the noise? nope, cannot be so.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus