Must-read new book on the Kaokoveld

Default Must-read new book on the Kaokoveld

Margaret Jacobsohn has just published her memoir, "Life is like a Kudu Horn" (Jacana, ISBN 978-1-4314-2866-3) about her pioneering work with Garth Owen-Smith in the Kaokoveld, Caprivi, Bushmanland etc.
    It is brilliant, and a very, very good read. Essential reading for anyone with a love of the area, as Margie has a PhD which she did on her work with the Himba, and there are few people around who understand the complexities of Himba society quite like she does. The book very gently points out some of the absolutely horrible mistakes (and insults) some travelers make when interacting with the Himba, and is also a wonderful record of community conservation in Namibia.
    Above all, it's a very good yarn, beautifully written.
    A very important book, and a must-read not just for those who have been to the Kaokoveld, but also those intending to go (or anyone with an interest in conservation and anthropology).
    (Disclaimer: I have a small personal interest, in that Jacana, via Margie, asked me to write the back cover "shout" - mini-review - of the book, which I did very happily and without prejudice).
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Must-read new book on the Kaokoveld

Thanks for letting us know Tony; sounds like a must-read for would-be travelers in the area.

I am often uncertain how to interact politely with locals but at the same time also not lose face when travelling in new areas.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

Thanks Tony. Also available on Amazon and their Kindle e-books. Downloaded!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Well we’ve tried to get hard copy here and have been told it’s not in print so you lot are keeping it to yourselves!
    Amazon prime tell us it’ll take a couple of months so the order’s in, we’d much rather have a book than a download

For those interested in modern African literature / books I also recommend Ths Blackridge House by Julia Martin who tells the story of her exploration of her mothers life at the end of the colonial river that we all are part of.

Just read it and found it insightful and a good read.

Thanks Tony I have ordered a copy. Remember meeting her years ago in Kaokoland
    1997 Defender Tdi
    2010 Defender Puma

Thanks Tony for the post and Stan for pointing me to Amazon for the Kindle version. Will make for interesting reading while waiting for the Brownies to turn up at Bakers Bay next week
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

2019 Going back to Kgalagadi but this time without air suspension

Thumbs up Re: Must-read new book on the Kaokoveld

Thanks Tony. Just called Exclusive Books in Bloem, they have stock @ R267 / copy. Cheaper than Amazon working on an exchange rate of R14,20/ $.