Reversing a trailer ?? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Reversing a trailer ??

Defender reversing a Met-Mini up a steepish driveway from road is a bit tricky ...

...find putting vehicle into low range
    helps by giving a v slow & steady speed ... no stalling, jerking, ‘clutching’ etc

... think ... trailer pivot turns more about one of its wheels whilst other circles wider ...
    ... so only start initiating trailer-turn as trailer axle reaches point
    to turn round and pass ...
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2019/06/29 at 07:51 AM.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

For the last 20 years or so, in the UK, after you've passed your standard driving test, you MUST take another test before you're allowed to tow any type of trailer behind your car/van/SUV, etc.
    Good practice I think...

Quote Originally Posted by cRaZyPeTe View Post
    For the last 20 years or so, in the UK, after you've passed your standard driving test, you MUST take another test before you're allowed to tow any type of trailer behind your car/van/SUV, etc.
    Good practice I think...
    Damn good idea, Dads can also help by letting junior practice in caravan parks a bit before leaving for home.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post
    If your hand is on the bottom of the wheel, you will turn "up&left " to make the trailer move left and "up&right" to move trailer right. Great for beginners
    I was about to say that. works brilliantly.

basically what it does is.... you do not have to change gears in your brain, you think in the same direction. Moving the hands from the top to the bottom, when using mirrors vs turning your head and looking back. the trailer turns in the same direction in your brain, and is much, much easier.

Having said that I can reverse a trailer very well. About 30 years ago I was caught on the road from chobe to the falls, on that thin knife edge of a road. (no turning left or right or any chance of a u turn.) In a 1800 diesel Isuzu 4x4, so zero power = zero speed. We had two little kids with us, we came round the corner and there was a herd just off the road, way ahead. We stopped far away and the herd slowly walked along next to the road, except one. I must have reversed over a km or two. elephants move surprisingly fast, she charged and I took my eye off the trailer for a split second and jack knifed. Reversing was now no option.

nobody can out reverse a charging elephant. ok very few. But turn slightly wrong and you are stuck, without the option of moving forward. .

Moving hands from top to bottom when using mirrors vs turning head around works very well. try it.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cRaZyPeTe View Post
    Good practice I think...
    Same in this country. To tow a trailer over a certain weight you need to do a driving test with a trailer. us old chaps where lucky we did out test before a certain date, so we have the licence that can tow a trailer.

Most people these days ignore that rule and tow trailers with a B licence. As a EB (car and caravan/trailer) is too difficult. But insurance companies and cops are getting stricter.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/07/02 at 11:36 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

When practicing for my EC license, I used to hook up my dad's Venter and practice reversing it between conduit poles I stuck in the ground. Granted it was with my Sentra from which the trailer was more visible, but what it did enable me to do was to react quicker once the trailer started moving out of line due to the short axle distance.

One thing I have seen a lot of people do is overreact when the trailer starts breaking out of line. Depending on the speed at which you are reversing, smooth small adjustments are all that is necessary. If you turn the steering wheel to vigorously and too much to one side, you have that much more turning to do to the other side, as it is guaranteed the trailer will break away in the opposite direction.

I use the mirrors as that is what I was taught with the EC license. It has assisted me especially reversing with the Mazda where I do not see the trailer at all. Just look to see which side comes into view and correct it. Seems funny logic, but if I do not see the trailer, I know it is in line.
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

2006 Mazda Drifter X 2500 Td D/C (Ossie)
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline (VERY plat kar)

Farmer told me years ago one rule..."follow the trailer", works for me for the past 20 odd years. Very simple and very effective.
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Farmer told me years ago one rule..."follow the trailer", works for me for the past 20 odd years. Very simple and very effective.
    Whats the theory behind that technique, can you expand on it?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Whats the theory behind that technique, can you expand on it?
    Same as steering in the direction where you see the trailer in the mirror. If you see the trailer in the mirror, "follow" it by steering in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    Same as steering in the direction where you see the trailer in the mirror. If you see the trailer in the mirror, "follow" it by steering in that direction.
    Jip like that...
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Grew up on a small farm on Houtkop and at 14/15 years could revers the two wheel trailer into small places.

Doing it with a 4 wheel trailer was a difficult one and by the time I got my licence it was easy.

Then came AFB Swartkops and the knowledge came in very handy.

So today putting the BL Kewer into its parking bay at Bosveldsig is easy.
    See pic where it goes - #1 parked #2 outside.
    In Pinetown putting the Gypsy 3 between the house and fence with 250 mm both sides spare was a trick but mastered it.
    Up/down grading to a Echo 4 made it easy.

Suggest everybody does some practice every now and then, do a figure 8 at 15-20 km/h (start very slow till you get the hang of it).
    Also learn how to make a reverse turn in one swoop with out doing a jack knife - that got me out of the way of a couple of elephants in Umfolozi
    The wheels of the trailer just went off the road and I could swing the bakkie with front wheels going over on the opposite side.
    Straight line reverse for 30-40 meters is a good point to start at speed and then do a reverse turn so you now pull of facing the other way.

What I find is that people park outside your view right up the back of your trailer or even bakkie.
    A chap in a I10 stopped so close to the Ranger that only part of his roof was visible.
    When engaging revers the sensor had a continuous beep and the camera showed he was less than 50 mm from the tow ball.
    If the BL Kewer were behind me he would have been crushed and I would be none the wiser.
    And the worst is he refused to back up until he got nudged by the tow ball, fortunately there was sufficient space on the opposite side so I could get out of the way of the Rhino. You should see him reverse when he saw what was coming - by that time he was visible in the mirrors in the distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190512_081902 (768x1024).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	533002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180807_070344 (1024x576).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	533003  
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3