Goodyear duratrack tyres

Default Goodyear duratrack tyres

Hi guys

Any feedback on goodyear duratrac tyres 265/65/17. How do they on tar and gravel? Noise?

2017 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion D/Cab
    2012 VW Touareg V6 TDi Bluemotion
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Default Re: Goodyear duratrack tyres

We have 265/70/17s on our FJ Cruiser and think they are fantastic. There is a bit more of a hum on tar than the OE Dunlop Grandtreks but not unpleasant. Have done about 15 000km on them with trips to both Botswana and Namibia and they performed flawlessly. Previously had a Range Rover with Duratracs and had done about 50 000km on them when we sold the vehicle - never a puncture with either vehicle

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike morrison For This Useful Post:

I see Safari 4x4 Roetes are also using these for there Dune trip.

How do they perform as a day to day tyre? Seems as if they are similar in price the the GY Adventure tyres? (That is in 265/60R18 when I checked)
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    I see Safari 4x4 Roetes are also using these for there Dune trip.

How do they perform as a day to day tyre? Seems as if they are similar in price the the GY Adventure tyres? (That is in 265/60R18 when I checked)
    265/60R18 Duratrac is not available anymore...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mike morrison View Post
    We have 265/70/17s on our FJ Cruiser and think they are fantastic. There is a bit more of a hum on tar than the OE Dunlop Grandtreks but not unpleasant. Have done about 15 000km on them with trips to both Botswana and Namibia and they performed flawlessly. Previously had a Range Rover with Duratracs and had done about 50 000km on them when we sold the vehicle - never a puncture with either vehicle
    Agree, have them now on my Hilux as well and quite a lot of us have them now on our 4x4's here in the EC. Very happy with them
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BBK; 2019/06/18 at 01:06 PM.
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2017 Mazda CX-3 Individual Plus
    2006 Mercedes Benz SLK 350

So Noisy!!! Father had them on FJ cruiser... Not for long though. Great tyre, looks great and performs well.
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

What affect do they have on fuel consumption vs A/T?
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Thanks all

2017 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion D/Cab
    2012 VW Touareg V6 TDi Bluemotion
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    What affect do they have on fuel consumption vs A/T?
    They are A/T.

I found them to be quite good on fuel consumption (255/55r19 on D4)

I did lose one of these on a pothole between Nata and Maun in Botswana, but the vehicle was loaded and there were wall-to-wall potholes on this road in Aug 2018 (middle stretch).
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/06/19 at 11:05 PM.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

If you do a lot of gravel it's a good tyre. A bit noisy for my liking, but puncture resistant and decent grip all round. On my D4 they tend to chip a bit, pretty much like the old BF AT's did on my D1.

Hit a massive pothole in Bots with the D4 loaded on 255/55x19s and got a sidewall bubble on one rear tyre. Only noticed a few hundred km's further, we could save it for a spare with a patch over the internal damage. Saw a few similar sized tyres of different make completely destroyed by the potholes while they were fixing it.

I will try General Grabbers next, due to road noise during daily tar road use.
    Last edited by faniedup; 2019/06/19 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post
    So Noisy!!! Father had them on FJ cruiser... Not for long though. Great tyre, looks great and performs well.
    You must rotate them every 7000 km if not they will get noisy. I replaced my BFG KO2's with them and they are just a little bit more noisy at high speeds. 140 +.
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2017 Mazda CX-3 Individual Plus
    2006 Mercedes Benz SLK 350

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    You must rotate them every 7000 km if not they will get noisy. I replaced my BFG KO2's with them and they are just a little bit more noisy at high speeds. 140 +.
    How do they compare to the BFG?
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    They are A/T.

I found them to be quite good on fuel consumption (255/55r19 on D4)
    I found it a little concerning when I heard Land Rover have replaced the Goodyear Wrangler HP with the Duratrac on the D4. The Wrangler had some 'flaking issues'. Quite cosmetic but still. My concern is that the Wrangler HP had a 'V' speed rating, meaning 240km/h, but the Duratrac has a 'Q' rating of 160km/h
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    I found it a little concerning when I heard Land Rover have replaced the Goodyear Wrangler HP with the Duratrac on the D4. The Wrangler had some 'flaking issues'. Quite cosmetic but still. My concern is that the Wrangler HP had a 'V' speed rating, meaning 240km/h, but the Duratrac has a 'Q' rating of 160km/h
    So just where are you going be travelling at an average speed of over 160kph in your D4 ?
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    So just where are you going be travelling at an average speed of over 160kph in your D4 ?
    That argument doesn't hold water. Even a tyre on a Tazz has a 'T' rating which is 190km/h, and nobody is going to be concerned about speed rating going down a mineshaft.

I've had to change tyres on an Audi because the insurer would not insure an Audi with a 'W' (270 km/h) rated tyre on, as the vehicle specs said 'Y' (300 km/h)
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by jonoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Yes, cross rotation should help. Make sure when rotating, that the tyres roll into a different direction.

I have seen on different vehicles that tyres with larger tread blocks tend to wear the trailing edge of each tread block a little faster than the block's leading edge, specially on the outer tread blocks. That creates quite a noise.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Just BTW, I haven't found the Duratracs to be noisy, my BFG K02's are much noisier. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    That argument doesn't hold water. Even a tyre on a Tazz has a 'T' rating which is 190km/h, and nobody is going to be concerned about speed rating going down a mineshaft.

I've had to change tyres on an Audi because the insurer would not insure an Audi with a 'W' (270 km/h) rated tyre on, as the vehicle specs said 'Y' (300 km/h)

You insurer is 100% correct.

All insurance policies have the requirement that your vehicle must be roadworthy, and the tyres fitted to the vehicle will therefore have to comply with the relevant SABS/SANS codes for it to be so.

SABS 047 is the Code of Practice for “The testing of motor vehicles for roadworthiness”. Section 5.4 deals with the size and shape of tyres. Clause (a) states that the tyre shall conform to the load and pressure tables of SABS 1550-2, and Clause (c) states that tyres of the same size and type are to be used on the same axle. Section 5.5 deals with the condition of tyres and state that tyres that have been re-grooved, have cuts and bulges, have exposed cord structure or a tread depth of less than 1mm across the full width of the tread may not be used. Clause (h) states that a tyre may not foul any part of the vehicle under any conditions.

SANS 1550 is the South African Standard Specification for Motor Vehicle Tyres and Rims.

In SANS 1550-2, page 8, Section 5.2.5 Speed Limits, the following is said :

“When the service description in marked on the tyre, the relevant speed rating symbol indicates the speed limit for the tyre. Speed limit means the maximum speed of which the car is capable.”

The only exception is for emergency tyres with a restricted speed rating where the restricted speed rating has to be clearly indicated i.e. those “marie biscuit” spare tyres on many vehicles with the yellow sticker and black letters on the rim that indicate that the wheel is for emergency use only.

The argument is often presented that the speed limit on the road is a maximum of 120km/h, and why are tyres with a higher speed rating required ? The problem actually comes in with the performance capabilities of the vehicle they are fitted to. Take a VW Golf as an example. One the one side you have a vehicle with a 1.0L engine and on the other extreme the “R”. Even if neither vehicle is driven to exceed the speed limit, the “R” will be able to accelerate faster, brake a lot harder and also be able to tackle sharp bends a lot faster. It will therefore be an absolute disaster to fit tyres with the same performance requirements as those required by the small 1.0L engined Golf to the “R”.

The same applies to your 4x4. You are looking for trouble when fitting tyres that do not meet, or exceed, the requirements.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

21. The Following User Says Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post: