Dual battery location

Default Dual battery location

Please assist:
    I am planning to install a second battery in my Hilux 2.8 DC 2017 model. I have done quite a lot of homework and so far like the WRND charger.
    I will install the second battery at the back of the DC in the canopy next to a fridge.
    My questions are:
    1. Is there a preferred battery to pair with the WRND charger? Deep cycle Lead acid? AGM? Other?
    2. I have read that you should not mount a charger next to a lead acid battery due to explosive hydrogen fumes generated. Is this a problem at the back in the canopy?
    3. Can anyone please refer me to a thread describing the latest types of deep cycle batteries.
    My main need is just to charge a battery to operate my 50L fridge.
    Thanks for any info. Ron

Default Re: Dual battery location

I donít know the Hilux, but thereís tons of space under the tub in front of the back wheels on a Defender

Any battery whose charging spec falls within the WRND's parameters will work.

Parameters:

Primary battery voltage for charging: 12.5V - 14.5V

Sec battery Boost voltage: 14.4V

Sec battery Float voltage: 13.7V

Max charge current: 20A

Solar input voltage: 12V - 40V (recommendation: use 12V or 24V panel 50W - 250W)

http://www.wrnd.co.za/index.php?main...roducts_id=233

The loadbin is not airtight per se.

A common choice...

http://www.dixonbatteries.co.za/105a...wh-327x170x240
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Thanks Prof.
    From the link you sent this Dixon looks like a lead acid type battery. Is that correct?
    Another question:
    How and where do you measure the volts produced by the vehicle alternator?
    With the vehicle running I checked the V across the main battery terminals which was over 14V. Is that the battery V or alternator V?

Ron's the 14V you measured is the alternator output. The bat wil not be that high. If the engine is off then you can get the bat volts but let the engine be off for 30min before you measure for a meaningful reading.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Thanks ekkekan, that clears it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Thanks Prof.
    From the link you sent this Dixon looks like a lead acid type battery. Is that correct?
    Another question:
    How and where do you measure the volts produced by the vehicle alternator?
    With the vehicle running I checked the V across the main battery terminals which was over 14V. Is that the battery V or alternator V?
    Just a note. I bought a Dixon and did not realise that it needs maintanance, did'nt come with instructions, but my fault - should have asked or googled. Thing died in just over a year. Also the battery was picked up and had fairly low charge - must have been in shop for ages. Just saying. Probably a good battery if looked after.

I'm on my second Dixon and yes it does need topping up from time to time and they do like to be kept charged.
    First one lasted just over 6 years, this one is only 6 months old.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I'm on my second Dixon and yes it does need topping up from time to time and they do like to be kept charged.
    First one lasted just over 6 years, this one is only 6 months old.
    would like to install in my 2.8 Hilux 4x4 dual battery system.

60litre freezer in back
    light in canopy
    feedplug to my caravan which has got a 105 Ah deep cycle battery

quote : only the main items.

CTEK DC/DC CHARGER D250SA = R5200
    DUAL MONITOR + ALARM =R465
    90AH D/Cycle Mixtech Batt = R2690
    Fitment = R 1851

Total R11500 which seems a-bit ridiculous, as wiring from existing battery to canopy and feed-plug to tow-bar already installed Please assist with requirements

A 100 / 105 ah battery easily fits under the bonnet of a HiLux. I bought the appropriate bracket from Safari Centre, and fiitted the DC-DC regulator etc myself on both my Fortuners. The 2012 model onwards has a tighter fit because of the diesel filter that seems to be a little closer to the fire wall.
    Last edited by Poen; 2019/06/27 at 05:27 PM.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

According to Safaricentre they can only fit a 90ah battery, Mixtech into the 2019 Revo Hilux.?

What do you guys use as a monitor / alarm with the WRMD controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    According to Safaricentre they can only fit a 90ah battery, Mixtech into the 2019 Revo Hilux.?

I think the NL worked pretty up to now, but Iím leaning towards the CTEK bluetooth monitor which interacts with the app on your phone. Apparently also has an alarm in the app that will send you notifications.

Iím starting to the like the bluetooth way because both my Victron MPPT and Victron charger are on bluetooth which I monitor via their app.

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post

I fitted 100ah deltec. Replaced recently with a100ah discover deep cycle.
    You will need to make different thickness spacers to put under battery bracket to mount level on top of wheel arch and drill a few holes whilst using existing tapped mountin points as well.
    I put alu plate in the bracket to spread load.
    Need to push wiring harness as far back into corner as you can get it and shield it well to stop battery rubbing against it. Also need to remove plastic surround near windscreen to get battery in and replace. (Battery can be removed without removing this piece)
    Have to take off fuse box cover to get battery in and pop back on once in place.
    Running wiring is fun as there is virtually no space left. Getting the clamps on to secure battery is a blast!! I mounted the wrnd right in front next to windscreen washer bottle and cut a slot in the plastic cover surrounding the bonnet catch etc so I can see lights and fuses. Had to make up special bracket to mount wrnd.

So itcan be done but I would think only a company who has already done it would undertake it.
    I have seen that you can mount battery cross ways by relocating some stuff (whatever the item is that has the heat sink attached is) but will require specially made battery bracket.
    Good luck