Subaru camping conversions for ballies! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Subaru camping conversions for ballies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post

Unfortunately I am in Cape Town, because I would have been able to give you a rack like this including the required backing plate.
    Courier would be cheaper than the other options out there
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Hi ziggy

You could also use a bicycle rack such as this one

http://theloadingzone.co.za/sa2000

Then you can customize it to fit a spare wheel.
    The reason I recommend this is
    * You can fit it to the towball frame using a backing plate
    * You will still be able to tow a trailer/boat seeing that you do not clamp it onto the towball
    * If you need to get into the back of the vehicle, just remove the drawpin at the bottom and drop the rack and wheel towards the ground, no need to take the wheel or carrier off.

Unfortunately I am in Cape Town, because I would have been able to give you a rack like this including the required backing plate.
    that does look like a good idea! I will look into it further..thanks for the kind offer.......

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Hi ziggy

You could also use a bicycle rack such as this one

http://theloadingzone.co.za/sa2000

Then you can customize it to fit a spare wheel.
    The reason I recommend this is
    * You can fit it to the towball frame using a backing plate
    * You will still be able to tow a trailer/boat seeing that you do not clamp it onto the towball
    * If you need to get into the back of the vehicle, just remove the drawpin at the bottom and drop the rack and wheel towards the ground, no need to take the wheel or carrier off.

Just bear in mind - from a fellow old ballie - a bicycle weighs considerable less than a wheel - around 25kg for a 17" alloy rim and 215 tyre.

If the pin is removed and the wheel hinges down, you first have to controllably lower it to the ground and then again bend down and pick it up to raise it to the vertical position.

How's your back?

You need a rack which just tilts back sufficiently to allow the boot to swing open. Like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR2 Spare.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	531464
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Just bear in mind - from a fellow old ballie - a bicycle weighs considerable less than a wheel - around 25kg for a 17" alloy rim and 215 tyre.

If the pin is removed and the wheel hinges down, you first have to controllably lower it to the ground and then again bend down and pick it up to raise it to the vertical position.

How's your back?

You need a rack which just tilts back sufficiently to allow the boot to swing open. Like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR2 Spare.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	531464
    valid points with regards to "picking up the weight" JJJ
    However, the bike rack I have can carry 4 bikes which totals ±60Kg's (mountain bikes) so the rack is strong enough for this application.

As you said, it all depends on whether or not ziggy can pick up the wheel connected to the rack and place it into position.
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

You actually need both modes:

• Fully down for packing and unpacking all the luggage and camping gear upon departure and arrival
    • The tilt-back for the frequent opening to cover the "lovey, just quickly get me the xyz from the boot, please" occasions

Possibly one just needs to add a bolt-on limiter design - like a spring-loaded hook which will catch a pin on the hinging part when tilting.

If you want to lower completely, you press the hook down against the spring releasing the pin, allowing resting the wheel on the ground.

Can't be that difficult.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/06/19 at 11:46 AM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

I think that the swing arm is the best solution for me

I want the wheel out the way so that I can use the "fixed" kitchen.....something like these pics. stove and fridge slide out on either side with central shelves and packing - and efficiently utilising he spare wheel space below. Kitchen unit includes a slide out table or flip down table that could also serve as a cupboard door. I would make this all as simple as possible - nothing fancy and overly clever

By having a fixed kitchen you dont have to pack and unpack every time you have a meal. Only have to take out chairs and ground tent and bedding - and awning if necessary.

I learnt over the years that one needs to keep simplifying and de-cluttering when camping, that way you have more "parking off" time instead of incessant unpacking, packing, shifting stuff around etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	531472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen 3.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	571.3 KB 
ID:	531473  

I was also advised by someone to invest in a lift kit (+ longer swaybar links), and possibly HD rear springs, different tyres and protection for the sump - and to consider fitting an Alu radiator

This all seems too much! I dont intend to to any serious off roading - we will mainly be travelling alone in Forester passable roads. we just want to go to nice places......

Is a forester in its standard factory mode not sufficient? I have looked at many you tube videos and seen foresters doing things I would not even have considered doing in my Hilux!

In stock standard form the car is very capable, your enemy is weight. Get that right and you should not need to mod at all. I sometimes though feel people can be a little old fashioned when it comes to certain things. For example the kitchen box. I don't have one as I find that the suitcase type gas cookers are far lighter, work just as well on butane canisters, and everything packs better.

It's personal choice I know but just trying to figure out how to carry a large unwieldy gas bottle makes no sense to me when there are alternatives.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    In stock standard form the car is very capable, your enemy is weight. Get that right and you should not need to mod at all. I sometimes though feel people can be a little old fashioned when it comes to certain things. For example the kitchen box. I don't have one as I find that the suitcase type gas cookers are far lighter, work just as well on butane canisters, and everything packs better.

It's personal choice I know but just trying to figure out how to carry a large unwieldy gas bottle makes no sense to me when there are alternatives.
    I want to agree with you regarding the car in stock standard form! Yes, Weight is an issue, never a problem with my Hilux, but certainly need to trim right down to basics. The kitchen box I want is to maximise space and efficiency - I also dont want a gas canister in the vehicle. I hate the idea of taking out ammo boxes and crates and things before one can cook a meal. I had a nice setup in my Hilux - without excess drawers and things, light weight shutter board mainly. I could open the back, drop the tailgate and begin cooking in a few minutes - and also pack it all back quickly. Another thing, the less you have the less clutter and the less work!

Subscribed

Wow Ziggy, respect - pretty much the ultimate overlanding challenge. Weight, speed space and within the context of that combo - strength (wsss). Here is an alternative way of thinking about it - taking into account the ride.

Everyone knows - in perfect weather any camping system is perfect. Come rain and wind - even a 2hr storm - if that is not taken care of - disaster and chaos reigns - especially when ground tenting. Seen it all too often.

So to my mind the main challenge is to overcome the bad weather (rain and wind combo) challenge and having done that everything else will fall into place.

You will be working out the back of the car and that is also where you probably will want the good old table and two chairs. So the priority is a canopy over the back. Wsss wise I reckon the 1.5 m eezi-awn canopy made for the back of a vehicle is the way to go (worthwhile investment) and light enough to be innovative re mounting if necessary. Great product. This, if an easy to open close batwing is not an option re cost, weight and mounting challenges.

When it comes to ground tents it makes sense to have the entrance positioned just under/close to the back awning. But what tent? Ideal for two people is the tentco 2.5 x 2.5 by 1.8m high canvas dome. Two alu strechers fit easily with and adequate walkway standup area in the middle. Also the best bad weather tent by far. But it requires to much muscle work for us old ballies. Same with the oztent equivalent which also has to be carried on the roof. So it is a nylon equivalent dome of the same or close to the same dimensions. Can get a campmaster one at Macro. Got one some time back as a backup and very nice. Is still work though but not a train smash. Perhaps best is a coleman easy up of close to above dimensions. Least work. Secret with nylons is they must be well pegged and guyroped - that work cant be avoided but is OK. Secret just take your time setting up and packing up - no race involved. Can also use a cargo net (from outdoor w house) over the tent as an extra tie down if hectic weather starts to move in.

Accept nylons can leak so wax/spray seams etc , sleep off the ground (alu stretchers), use a shade cloth outer ground sheet, put in an extra inner waterproof ground sheet on top of built in ground sheet and have some towels handy for a bit of wiping up/drip catching if needed.

Outside awning over door of nylon tents if it comes with the tent is pretty useless in rainy windy weather no matter how taught you try to make it - tie it over the eezi awn awning or fold up out the way.

Thats pretty much it - further refinements will only come from trying the system out over time.

Hope this helps in the thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    My wife and I want to do some longer trips - sometimes staying just overnight, or a couple of days- camping all the way in our "sedate" Subaru Forester. . We used to have a Hilux which had masses of space and could carry everything plus even stuff we would never use!

We are both 65yrs old and so conversions have to facilitate that, i.e no strenuous lifting of jerry cans, spare wheels etc and stuff on to roof rack etc (my superman days are over now!)

Has anyone done any innovative camping conversions? Nothing permanent so that vehicle reverts to normal when we get back home.

I am talking about easily accessible packing/storage space and methods, fridge, LED and solar charging/batteries. Roof top tent or not? Awning ideas etc. Also where to put spare wheel so it is accessible because once you have packed u the vehicle, the wheel is inaccessible without unpacking and repacking (can one get a two hitch attachment?). Jerry can, water container etc.

We will be wanting to go to Namibia/Botswana/Zimbabwe/Mozambique - clearly not harder off roading like we used to do in our Hilux!

Any ideas out there?
    I went to Northern Namibia this May/June with some friends whose Saburu was really nicely kitted out for the trip. In the rear boot photo you can see (Left to Right) the Fridge on Runners, New Spare Wheel location, and Dual Battery System. Vehicle performed very well. Drawers on back seat. Personally I loved the chosen relocation of the spare wheel which is easy to lift out.

Name:	IMG_0289 AAA.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	531930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2130BBB.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	531931  
    Nissan Navara 2.5Tdi D/C 2010
    Alucab, Longrange fuel tanks, 2nd spare wheel, TJM suspension 50/55mm lift, Sat/Nav/Revcamera,
    Dual battery system
    Former car: Mahindra 2007 Scorpio 4x4 SUV2.6GLX

Hi.

I drive an S-Edition Forester and have something similar in mind for mine.

I bought the Thule XL basket and roof rail system for storage on the roof. I went this route because I didn't want the rails removed and replaced with the Front Runner system although I'm sure it is much stronger.

I then had an awning made by a place in Edenvale and bought some tent poles and pegs from Tentco. I'm using a swimming pool aluminium extendable pole to secure it to the Thule Basket but then using the thick heavy duty ties to secure it to the Thule basket loops. I had it made 2,5mX2,5m in size.

I know there is a guy that does a sump guard for the Forester. As far as I know it's pretty straight forward to install using the factory connection points.

Would like to see some pictures of your progress as you go along.

Regards

Mike

I have been doing some thinking and have come up with this.....
    Go small and light on EVERYTHING! Take nothing unnecessary. The less we take the less there is to clean pack etc – the less work to be done

Should be able to have set up camp in 30 minutes max – and pack up in more or less the same time

Fridge freezer must be as small as possible (thinking of a Dometic CFX 28 AC/DC Fridge/Freezer which weighs 17.5kg and is 62 x 34,2 x 42,5 (h) cm – with a 26l capacity. More than enough for two of us for a few days. Fridge placed behind the driver set – and dual battery unit on the floor behind the centre console if it fits, otherwise behind passenger seat)

Small 3-4 person quick erect tent where you can at least almost stand up

Light weight but efficient stove and pots and pans and utensils, crockery, cutlery etc. Kind of like a few steps above mountaineering style (I used to be a mountaineer)

No piles of clothes and things - 2 small bags each. Enough for 5 or 6 days without having to wash clothes

Try and “box” everything that is packed into the car, that way you can stay organised.

Everything to be easily accessible. Arrive at a campsite, remove tent and bedding from roof rack and erect. Kitchen area in back of vehicle with everything ready at hand – no unpacking

Pull out awning on roof rack. Place table and chairs

LED lighting installed in kitchen area with extension to tent (must have two battery system for lights and fridge)

Try and be self-sufficient in terms of food or 5-6 days

Try and go places where extra fuel is not required – but make provision for carrying 2x10l containers n the roof rack

Carry no more than 20 l of drinking water if possible

For the back packing area (kitchen and spare-wheel) the idea is as in the diagram below – obviously still have to measure and proportion correctly. I will first assemble everything that we will be taking and see how it fits (food excluded) – then draw up a final plan. I thought of using plywood (as light as possible) but sturdy enough. Instead of drawers, find appropriately sized plastic containers to slot into shelves. The only slide out drawer will be the stove drawer.

Once the spare wheel has been relocated, then there will be ample space to use the spare wheel area for additional packing (but careful not to put too much weight at the back)
    I need to investigate how to ensure that everything is tied down and safe inside the car.

The challenge is now to convince the wife that this is necessary. She still has the idea that we will be staying in B&B’s mainly!!!!

I will still have to do a costing as well. I want this to be ready for our first trip by early next year – there are other things planned this year

Name:	overview.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	532030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	532031  

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrycan View Post
    I went to Northern Namibia this May/June with some friends whose Saburu was really nicely kitted out for the trip. In the rear boot photo you can see (Left to Right) the Fridge on Runners, New Spare Wheel location, and Dual Battery System. Vehicle performed very well. Drawers on back seat. Personally I loved the chosen relocation of the spare wheel which is easy to lift out.
    Phew! That's a big fridge.... The drawers on the back seat sound like a good idea. I like the spare wheel placement. I am reluctant to trail anything other than my small boat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2