Bream fishing upper zambezi

Default Bream fishing upper zambezi

I can't seem to get the timing right. Last year we went up in May and again in July. This year we were up in the second week of May. The locals were catching pan-size using rods with earthworms. We were told on all occasions by our guides " not the right time for Bream ".I see on tigertalk-facebook page they caught some big ones at Sekoma last week. Thinking of going up again in early September. Has anyone got any advice ? Thanks in advance.Although Tigers are the main target it would be great to hook into a few. locally dams like Loskop and Arabie don't produce anymore
    Last edited by tonyj; 2019/06/16 at 10:30 AM.

Default Re: Bream fishing upper zambezi

Tony,

I think it will be worth your while to give Gareth Coombes a call at 0837083787. He has extensive knowledge about that part of the Zambezi and personally do guiding there.

Thanks for the number. I booked my last trip with Garreth to Sekoma in May . I think it has a lot to do with the level of the river. last year we fished at both Shackletons and Sekoma Island and the water was at it's highest level in 10 years for that time of the year ,both in May and July. This year it is the opposite. They say the water level of the Zambezi is a it's lowest since 1996 again in that area.According to another website I have used in the past, Bream can be caught between late May to December ,with Nembwe preffering May to August.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyj For This Useful Post:

This is something I woukd really like to do.

Please keep us updated on trips, and what tackle one should take etc

Going up to Sekoma Island Lodge this Sunday (25 Aug) for 5 days. They appear to still be catching Bream on jigs. Will report back on our return

Quote Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
    Going up to Sekoma Island Lodge this Sunday (25 Aug) for 5 days. They appear to still be catching Bream on jigs. Will report back on our return
    Awesome. My youngster just returned from Impalila Lodge. Tigers and bream.

Enjoy and looking forward to your report.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Got back on Friday evening from Sekoma after 5 days. Was very cold in the early mornings but hot during the day.The lodge was full the whole week but unfortunately the fishing was not good. We tried all sorts of lures - Rapalas, jigs ,Bulldogs and even earthworms. The Flyfishermen had it tough as well. A few small Nembwe came out on fly, many Catfish were caught ,the biggest being 28 pounds on a Rapala. A few nice Tigers were caught on Rapalas and Jigs, the largest 16 pounds. My best was 13 pounds on a Fire tiger. A great trip nevertheless. The water is very low with lots of aggressive Hippos around and Elephants on both Sekoma and Ilombe Islands.Next trip will be either March or June next year

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyj For This Useful Post:

Saw some nice sized bream coming out of the Siavonga area as well as the Lower Zambezi. Tigers are slow maybe pick up next month.

Has the Tiger Fishing in the Zambezi dropped off over the last few years due to uncontrolled netting?

• The Barbel Run in the Okavango has been consistently poor for the last 5 years?
    • Barotse Tiger Camp - was dreadful last October in the peak of its season? Lots of Barbel being caught and Tigers here and there over a week?
    • Kariba and Mlibizi are completely dead.
    • The lower Zambezi near Chirundu equally so - lots of Zambians camped along the river edge netting all day long.

I am looking for that place to go where you don't ned to sit and wait all day for a bite.......... like Barotse used to be. Anu ideas?

I have been fishing the Upper Zambezi every year since 2007 and have stayed at - Island View, Kalizo Lodge, Caprivi houseboats, Shackeltons and Sekoma island lodge.lately I have been going up twice a year usually in the colder months,but have been up in December. This year has been abnormal due to the low water level. I can only agree that the tiger fishing has dropped off . Up Katimo Mulilo way the netting is bad and around the Shackleton's area it is getting worse. You will always get a few trophy fish coming out but not like it used to be.The bream fishing also appears to be decimated.The last good bream fishing we had was in the Okavango years ago Of our two trips this year May was good but two weeks ago we only got one nice Tiger in 4 and 1/2 days fishing