Wind Power - Goodwe 4.6 Inverter

Default Wind Power - Goodwe 4.6 Inverter

I know these posts get confusing real easy, I am just after basic simple information if at all possible.

I have an IQ of room temperature in winter and it is damn cold at the moment to make matters worse.

We have 2 Goodwe 4.6 inverters on two properties, Pylontech batteries on both, and all works well for us.

Due to nature of our business, we use about 50% of our electricity during the day and about 50% at night.

During the day the Goodwes supply enough power to make us zero importers of power during daylight hours unless the tumble driers, hair driers, oil fin heaters suddenly all get turned on at once. Then we have to purchase from the Eskom meter for those times we drawing heavily.

So daytime all good, we 100% happy.We can make and consume 100Kw no problem in summer and in winter we seem to do about 60Kw a day on cold days when the heaters are on.

But at night, especially in summer, our aircons draw a lot of power. We have 15 air cons that may all be on at the same time over the 2 properties.

How can we add wind power into our mix

Apparently this was easy in times gone by with older lead acid batteries, but now with modern inverters and algorithms and programming et al, this is not so easy.

Obviously the solar panels will not make power at night, but in summer, we do have very strong and consistent winds that blow from 16h00 to 24h00 almost every day. Speed is over 20 kilos per hour all the time.

With what we have, how can we harness the wind. Yes, must put up a turbine, well understood, but can the Goodwes take this extra unknown power source?

Any advice and input appreciated.

Cheers.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

Default Re: Wind Power - Goodwe 4.6 Inverter

You connect the turbines directly to the batteries to charge.

So, depending on your battery setup (12V, 24V, 48V), will determine the rating of the turbine.

I.e. https://www.sustainable.co.za/kestre...rbine-kit.html
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swakop_toe For This Useful Post:

I see you have posted on the Power Forum as well.

Do let us know what the upshot is of your research.

Off Topic - - how have your Goodwe performed. Would you recommend them?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Hi.

I wish it was that easy, would have done it already but have to find another way.
    The Goodwe cant handle not knowing where the power came from. And it is not able to accept a wind power input at the moment.

Awesome kit. As most users say, we Goodwe owners wish we had a bit more control over the unit, the 4 settings you get to choose from are good, but I would like to have more control over when to allow it to pull from the batteries and when to charge the batteries. But this is my only complaint.

Well engineered, it just works. Silent, although in summer it does get up to 50Deg C in my garage so I run a small fan to blow air over it, drops the temp by 10 degrees quickly.

Also, if you are on pre paid, make sure you put a "vampire eater" in between the Eskom pre paid box and your first point of contact with your power coming into the house.

Let me explain a bit:

Vampire eater because I do not know what to really call it.
    I am on prepaid. At times the unit makes too much power and before it can slow down, tiny amounts of power go back into the grid. For this I get charged.

So coming in from the main DB board down in the road is a heavy cable that comes into my Mains DB board.

Simplifying now, making this easy for me to understand:

From this cable, and before the DB board in the house, we took a power supply off to power two fluoresenct lights in my garage that have to be on all day anyway.
    This lead has its own breaker and timer. So just before sunrise each day to sunset, on a timer, these lights come on and eat Eskom power all day.
    Any overages we have are just eaten by the vampire lights so nothing goes back to the meter to the grid.

At the other place we have we run a small fish tank pump for the same reason.

And with the new plugs coming to SA, I am only changing the wall plugs that are on solar backup.
    No chance of a heater being plugged into those circuits as I will simply keep a supply of 15 amp plugs for all heavy draw items such as kettles, heaters, hair driers etc.

But my wife will still find a way to plug the GHD and hair drier and tumble drier on the backup circuits. Like staff, they just seem to find the wifi password.

Still working on the wind.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

Fluffy on the forum has
    Goodwe and is an electronics expert.
    Suggest you PM him.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...p/11407-Fluffy
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/06/16 at 09:55 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    You connect the turbines directly to the batteries to charge.

So, depending on your battery setup (12V, 24V, 48V), will determine the rating of the turbine.

I.e. https://www.sustainable.co.za/kestre...rbine-kit.html
    yeah I also have no EQ (electrical intelligence) so take this from whence it comes, but my logic is that the variable speed turbine generates voltage which needs to be balanced and rectified before being used by the Goodwe, so that means you'll need to feed a battery bank via a variable input charger controller and the battery bank will feed the Goodwe

but that is just my logic and is probably very very wrong
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yeah I also have no EQ (electrical intelligence) so take this from whence it comes, but my logic is that the variable speed turbine generates voltage which needs to be balanced and rectified before being used by the Goodwe, so that means you'll need to feed a battery bank via a variable input charger controller and the battery bank will feed the Goodwe

but that is just my logic and is probably very very wrong
    Indeed!
    The late tech. on the turbine includes a MPPT controller.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.