2018 Pajero Sport -offroad mode/gearbox/towbar

Default 2018 Pajero Sport -offroad mode/gearbox/towbar

Hi guys, long time!

I'm hoping I can get some answers here... I've been on every corner of the internet trying to find answers, and no one was able to assist (including the Mitsubishi dealerships). All I could get was marketing stuff (high-level 0 detail).

1. The gearbox (8speed automatic) seem to be very "CVT" - ish, especially at low speeds around town. When I step on it, its (effective yet) terrible as it gives the impression of clutch slip.... (Could it be!? @10 000km's) or is that normal for this box?

2. Off road mode with "Super select 2" offers gravel, mud/snow, sand and rock. Nothing... Anywhere... Offers insight as to what exactly the differences are with regards to traction control etc. I presume that gravel offers little to no wheelspin (cutting engine power to get there), mud allowing more spin, and sand full (no limitation). Rock mode would presumably be the right setting for Uhm Rick's... But also wheels in the air axle twisters etc as a decent alternative to having to lock the rear diff. ?

Am I on the right track here? (Haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet, would be great if some of the pro's can guide me along the way).

3. The mitsu tow bar I had installed, has a LED ring light around the harness (where the trailer plugs in) that randomly comes on)- again, haven't had it long enough to pick up any patterns but trying to figure out what the purpose of the light is supposed to be, has also been a dead end.

Any insight on any of the above would be GREAT. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Djinn; 2019/06/14 at 09:49 PM.

Default Re: 2018 Pajero Sport -offroad mode/gearbox/towbar

Thought I'd share my findings for anyone else that were looking around for answers to similar questions.

1. The gearbox (automatic) seem to be very "CVT" - ish, especially at low speeds around town. When I step on it, its (effective yet) terrible as it gives the impression of clutch slip.... (Could it be!? @10 000km's) or is that normal for this box?

Answer: this seems to be driving setting. In 4H and 4L the gearbox is direct and there is no indication of any slip whatsoever. The "CVT" feeling that I was refering to is completely gone, only being previlent in 2H.

2. Off road mode with "Super select 2" offers gravel, mud/snow, sand and rock. Nothing... Anywhere... Offers insight as to what exactly the differences are with regards to traction control etc. I presume that gravel offers little to no wheelspin (cutting engine power to get there), mud allowing more spin, and sand full (no limitation). Rock mode would presumably be the right setting for Uhm Rick's... But also wheels in the air axle twisters etc as a decent alternative to having to lock the rear diff. ?

Am I on the right track here? (Haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet, would be great if some of the pro's can guide me along the way).

Answer: This seems to be accurate from my testing today on Hennops. "Rock" in 4L works phenomenally well in Axle twisters and wheel in the air maneuvers. "Sand" allows for a lot of wheelspin and doesn't interfere with traction control. I was wrong about gravel though, it didn't fish for grip through throttling down the power... I'll have to test that a little more. Gravel is by far easiest "all round" setting for driving in Low as its easier to turn and isn't as sensitive to different wheelspeeds as "Rock" which makes it difficult to turn.

Thanks for the feedback.How did you find the overall ability of the pajie

Re the 8 speed gearbox, I have read that some have reported similar feelings of the 8 speed gearbox in the Lexus or the new 9 speeder in the Mercs. A few friends said something similar also on the DSG boxes a while back.

Did you come from a previous auto or manual? That could exasperate the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.How did you find the overall ability of the pajie
    Very impressive! It completely changes the dynamic if all you have to worry about is ground clearance... I've never felt/seen traction control work that well before. Even heard some comments from spectators next to obstacles thinking the Pajero has a front DL as well.
    Last edited by Djinn; 2019/06/18 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerDL View Post
    Re the 8 speed gearbox, I have read that some have reported similar feelings of the 8 speed gearbox in the Lexus or the new 9 speeder in the Mercs. A few friends said something similar also on the DSG boxes a while back.

Did you come from a previous auto or manual? That could exasperate the feeling.
    Interesting you mention that. I guess I'm comparing it to the DSG I had in my VW. I've noticed this morning again that it's more prevalent in the cold (like early morning travel to work). The revs tend to float never really engaging a gear while in slow moving traffic. Once the traffic opens up, and especially if you're "haastig" it's not that bad.

Not whiney like a CVT, but definitely hints in that direction at times which is annoying if you're not a fan of a CVT box.
    Last edited by Djinn; 2019/06/19 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Interesting you mention that. I guess I'm comparing it to the DSG I had in my VW. I've noticed this morning again that it's more prevalent in the cold (like early morning travel to work). The revs tend to float never really engaging a gear while in slow movie g traffic. Once the traffic opens up, and especially if you're "haastig" it's not that bad.

Not whiney like a CVT, but definitely hints in that direction at times which is annoying if you're not a fan of a CVT box.
    Apparently that is what they are trying to do with these 8/9/10 speed gearboxes. Essentially create a geared CVT. CVT's are very effective in keeping an engine in its optimal power/torque zone which then reduces emissions and improves economy. Down side is the whining and also some (belt driven types) are prone to slipping especially when they get hot. The fixed gears should solve that.

But ja, the end result will be a whining torque converter geared gearbox

on a separate issue, do you notice that the bonnet tends to flex (shaking) a bit when driving or idling like it's not solid?

2000 Pajero CK 3.5 V6 SWB GEN3 / 2018 JIMNY GEN3

I have a 2013 330d and a 2014 LR Discovery 4 both fitted with the 8 speed ZF boxes and I dont experience this floating of the revs or gears not engaging. The disco does engage fully a little higher up the revs than the BMW though (The BMW is like a knife and the disco is a hammer/brick.)

wrt the riding modes, they should be similar to what the Disco have
    Gravel will allow decent wheelspin on gravel. This ties in with your observation that its the easiest mode to live with (old GS bike with Traction control on on gravel=you going nowhere)
    Snow wont allow wheelspin and lessen/"deaden" throttle inputs. (current bike in rain mode also cuts power)
    rock function shouldnt be to strict on traction control (I dont know though, havent given it much thought) but what it will do is also make throttle inputs a lot less aggressive.
    Sand mode on the disco will also allow for a lot of wheelspin and even pull away in 3rd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by KPakkiri View Post
    on a separate issue, do you notice that the bonnet tends to flex (shaking) a bit when driving or idling like it's not solid?
    No, but my left tail light is loose (Easy fix when going in for the next service though - just wondering why it was worked on in the first place...) - shouldn't be from the tow bar.

I'll try make a short video of the gearbox/revs. I doubt many will even notice it, and when putting it into "manual" it also doesn't do it which confirms my suspicion about it being intentional to keep the drive smoother and more responsive.