Cheap solar panels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheap solar panels

Just a heads up for anyone who is interested. ARTsolar currently have 100W solar panels on special for only R600 each!! I just bought 2 today and am very pleased.

You can find them here: https://artsolar.net/

It is a beautiful modern and very clean factory in Pinetown (just outside Durban). I think you can buy online directly from the factory too.

Hope this helps someone

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahari For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cheap solar panels

Quote Originally Posted by Ahari View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone who is interested. ARTsolar currently have 100W solar panels on special for only R600 each!! I just bought 2 today and am very pleased.

You can find them here: https://artsolar.net/

It is a beautiful modern and very clean factory in Pinetown (just outside Durban). I think you can buy online directly from the factory too.

Hope this helps someone
    R730 online...
    https://artsolar.net/product/100-watt-solar-panel/
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

I know! I thought that was a good price, but I phoned them and they quoted me R600! I immediately went to the factory to collect and was home in an hour!

They told me that the panels are on special for 2 weeks - don't know when the 2 weeks started.

Nice price, thanks.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

These 100w panels are for camping etc? Iirc 330w panels are say R2k, thus 100w panels should be roundabout one third of price performance wise, plus obvious material cost to build, thus that price seems more than reasonable
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

any feedback on these panels as i need 2x 90/100"s
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Cool Re: Cheap solar panels

A bit of feedback:

I just camped for 5 days with the panels (with no camp power at all) and am very pleased with the results. The panels seem to be high quality, are well made from what I can see. Having been to the factory, I have to say it was impressive - very modern and clean as a whistle!!

Haven't had a chance to order the proper cables and monitors yet, so I just checked my battery voltage manually and it seemed to be charged before lunch every day. I just fitted some aluminium hinges, cheap chrome handles and a simple aluminium square tube fold out stand system with a place to peg them down so they don't blow over. Did it all in a huge rush as we had to pack for the holiday!!

I modified a fairly heavy +-20m extension cable to run from the panels to the cheap ACDC 20A PWM controller and it worked like a charm. It really was thrown together as we were leaving. First test was in the campsite as I didn't even have a chance to test the panels at home. Crude, but it worked very well.

I have a very old 100ah battery, National Luna 80L fridge/freezer, various LED and fluorescent lights, a laptop to watch the odd movie on as well as 2 cellphones to keep charged. I even charged my car battery off the inverter with a 10 amp charger!! I also charged about 30 AA and 20 AAA batteries for our lanterns which I never had a chance to charge at home! Power to spare!

To be fair, it was not a heavy field test as we were camping at Lake Eland in Oribi Gorge, KZN in the middle of winter, so the fridge was hardly breaking a sweat!! However, the panels only saw sun from 8am to around 4pm as we were at the bottom of the gorge. We were also away from the camp for most days from about 11am until after sunset, so the panels were not adjusted much either.

I could not be happier!!

BTW: The cables and fittings will cost more than the panels!!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahari For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down Re: Cheap solar panels

Good price---if you stay near the factory---Delivery and cost to Sasolburg comes over R1000-00 per panel
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Requiring some info please. What does one look for with these type of "cheap" panels.

I am in the market for camping solar setup.

My needs are basic now.
    2/3 led lights
    40l camp master fridge (danfoss compressor)

in the future I might add a small (32lt) freezer or sell the current and buy dual 75lt (waeco/dometic)

I am considering 1 x 100 watt or 1 x 150w.

100 watt - +- 5.6-5.8A
    150 watt - +- 8.61A
    obviously with perfect conditions etc.

Is there a reason why Setsolar/artsolar/solair won't do the job?

If I decide on the 100's series/parallel?

I do have an wrnd pwm 20A controller(that should be good for about 300watt)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    Requiring some info please. What does one look for with these type of "cheap" panels.

I am in the market for camping solar setup.

My needs are basic now.
    2/3 led lights
    40l camp master fridge (danfoss compressor)

in the future I might add a small (32lt) freezer or sell the current and buy dual 75lt (waeco/dometic)

I am considering 1 x 100 watt or 1 x 150w.

100 watt - +- 5.6-5.8A
    150 watt - +- 8.61A
    obviously with perfect conditions etc.

Is there a reason why Setsolar/artsolar/solair won't do the job?

If I decide on the 100's series/parallel?

I do have an wrnd pwm 20A controller(that should be good for about 300watt)
    @Dwanye P, not sure of your packing space and/or vehicle layout, but my 2 cents worth, as I have a Duster, so need to optimize space. So I use 2 x 50w panels. Not ARTsolar, so I apologize if I am off-topic, but just some food for thought. Having said that, I have only heard good things about them.
    Your question on series vs parallel only applies if you have more than one panel. - There are pro's and con's to both options depending on your perspective and setup. But if you go with a larger panel and have only 1, then it doesn't apply.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by stof-lappie View Post
    @Dwanye P, not sure of your packing space and/or vehicle layout, but my 2 cents worth, as I have a Duster, so need to optimize space. So I use 2 x 50w panels. Not ARTsolar, so I apologize if I am off-topic, but just some food for thought. Having said that, I have only heard good things about them.
    Your question on series vs parallel only applies if you have more than one panel. - There are pro's and con's to both options depending on your perspective and setup. But if you go with a larger panel and have only 1, then it doesn't apply.

Cheers.
    I am able to fit the larger panel in vehicle or trailer. 1.5mt panel would not be an issue

Go for the biggest panel that you can fit, then get two and hinge them.

Below is some good advice from Fluffy

I have said this a dozen times on this forum but nobody listens.

For a simple AUX battery system with Solar PV Panels.

1/. Rule No. 1 - DO NOT put PV Panels in Series. Use Parallel.

2/. Rule No. 2 - DO NOT use High Voltage PV Panels. Normal 12V Class panels with a on charge voltage of about 18V are best.

3/. Rule No. 3 - Always carry a half decent multimeter with you.

4/. When your Solar Charge controller goes tits up. BYPASS the controller and connect the panels DIRECTLY to the batteries.

5/. Monitor the state of charge of the battery/ies with your meter. (See 3 above)
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/08/28 at 09:22 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Go for the biggest panel that you can fit, then get two and hinge them.

I recommend get 2 x 80W panels from 4x4Direct as they are the shorter versions
    ( SD Pro 80W 905mm long, some brands 80W way over a 1000mm long)

Then hinge them
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 840 000 km

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

I've just placed an order online with ArtSolar for two 100W panels @ R690.00 each.

As I live in Westville, I will collect them from the factory when they are ready, saving myself R98.00 in delivery charges.

I'm sure you will be happy with them! Mine are great! They are also a little smaller than the other brands with almost no wasted space on the glass

Just an added note - these panels are only cheaper because you're getting them directly from the factory. They are not cheaply made.

Dimensions are a little smaller than other brands as there is no wasted space on the glass - the crystals cover almost the entire glass surface.

They are 669 x 1034mm in size. I mention this as the dimensions are buried in the specifications that you have to download and search through to find!

For comparison, the 100W Renewsys panels from Bush Power are 1120 x 670mm and the Solair ones from 4x4Direct don't have dimensions given.

So that makes the ArtSolar ones 86mm shorter and almost the same width. That 86mm made a big difference for me!

Unfortunately 100W is the smallest panel that they make (most of their panels are monsters!). So for those that want smaller panels you're out of luck

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    I am able to fit the larger panel in vehicle or trailer. 1.5mt panel would not be an issue
    If you have the space, then go with 2 x 100W in parallel. Even if you don't need the extra capacity, you will have some to spare for those cloudy days or when you just couldn't be bothered to adjust them to the sun all the time.

You will also be better off in the long run as all panels lose capacity over the years

Default Cheap solar panels

Iím looking at fixing the two 100W panels onto the roof of my Oryx, rather than using them on the ground.

Iím fact, I might even buy another two of them and fit all four on the roof. Iíve measured the roof area which is 1.5m x 2m, enough to fit four panels.

The roof is angled when at camp, so I will need to position the Oryx in such a way to maximize the sunís rays. Even in partial shade, the huge surface area of the roof should collect enough power, I hope.

Iím not keen on loose panels on the ground for various reasons, some of which include theft, accidental damage and storage when traveling.

In the picture of my Oryx below, you can see the previous owner fitted a frame for a single solar panel.

Last edited by Neville Bailey; 2019/08/31 at 07:28 AM.

Ek is besig met n set-up wat seker "minimilistic" op sy beste is.

Ek het n 90w solar panel gekoop by Sustainable.co.za R697 en gaan toevallig kaap toe Disndag gaan dit sommer optel.
    20A solar controller R350

My huidige setup in die prado is alles is LED ligte.
    Ek het LED ligte in die awening wat baie skerp is en dan agter by die deur wat die kombuis is, ook geLED.
    Daar is net een battery n 105AH deep cycle jobbie. Dit is die start battery (weet nie ek het hom so gekoop -- gaan nie kla nie8))

My plan is om die battery d.m.v die solar paneel te laai vir die kere wat ons staan. Ek mag dalk n 2 de battery insit maar dit voel vir my soos overkill veral omdat ons nie vir dae gaan staan op n slag wanneer ons op vakansie gaan nie. N dag hier en daar. Dit is ook aan die suide van Nam en Richtersveld so son lig gaan genoeg wees glo ek

My yskas is n weaco CF50. Nie te swaar op AH nie maar word ook bepaal deur die temp buite--moeilik om te bepaal totdat ons nie daar is nie.

Alles is nog teoreties en sal seker in die komende maand begin toets of dit so gaan werk. Enige pointers asb manne.

Setsolar het special gehad R499 ex vat vir 100w panel. Het laas week my 2 gaan haal. Moet dit nog net mount op bakkie se dak. Wat is die beste metode om dit permanent op die dak te monteer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast