DIY Mini camping caravan build - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Avk do you have joints on the floor board?

I have a full board with no joints on mine

Very nice build!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ozosborne For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of epoxying in a few strips of fiberglass cloth.
    Tony, perhaps consider a routed strip of timber to allow a smooth transition of the fiberglass cloth to the floor board and side panel? excuse the hastily drawn sketch, experience has taught me that there will always be a few air bubbles in a 90 degree join when you try to force the cloth and resin into a 90 degree corner, good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any 90% joint needs a fillet to round the corner off, thickened epoxy does this perfectly, otherwise the cloth won't bend to the corner.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by martiny View Post
    Avk do you have joints on the floor board?
    Unfortunately yes.

I have a full board with no joints on mine
    The floor on mine is just too wide to fit only one sheet. Doesn't matter how I do it, will always need more than one sheet. If I stayed only within the wheelarches, I could've done it. But my whole idea is to incorporate the wheelarches inside the body of the van, and making use of that space inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Tony, perhaps consider a routed strip of timber to allow a smooth transition of the fiberglass cloth to the floor board and side panel? excuse the hastily drawn sketch, experience has taught me that there will always be a few air bubbles in a 90 degree join when you try to force the cloth and resin into a 90 degree corner, good luck
    I would preferably not work with fibreglass cloth, etc. I have a bit of a daring plan in the back of my head which I want to try...but I'll get to that when the walls etc are up, and I start finishing the inside. Luckily, the corners and joins inside should be easy to get to if the ever need replacing or fixing.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

I found a board thats 1850 wide which is enough for the wheel arches included

I found a board thats 1850 wide which is enough for the wheel arches included
    Unfortunately I couldn't find anything in my area wider/larger than normal plywood @ 2440x1220. So I'll go with the flow and use it.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

I think later on if its possible to get the inderside rubberrised or even stone chip sprayed ..for now i need to decide if im going to use square tubing infront and at the back as a reinforcement or just the ply wood weight wise the tubing and 38x38 brandering almost feels the same

I think later on if its possible to get the inderside rubberrised or even stone chip sprayed ..for now i need to decide if im going to use square tubing infront and at the back as a reinforcement or just the ply wood weight wise the tubing and 38x38 brandering almost feels the same
    I will be using stonechip on the whole trailer's underside. I've used it in the past with similar trailers I've used, and it worked well. Also easy to apply, and I have the gun.

For the frame I'm using wood only. Even though it might not be the sturdiest/best/etc. that is what I've always wanted to do. So I'm going to try it. I have a large amount of wood from projects I've done around the house. From purlines, to 38x38, to 114x38. And of course quite a few boards of 12mm plywood, and offcuts of said plywood. I have two nice, long, straight 114's on the garage which have been drying there for a long time...they are straight and much lighter than similar 'wet' beams. I might just use them as runners at the top of the trailer...I'll see how it works when I get there.

For me a large part of this project is to see how cheaply I can do it. Not making a "cheap" trailer, just not spending money when it's not needed. Using up what I have in stock before buying anything else, if that makes sense?

I'm going to play around with a few combinations to see what works best. When the fibreglass is fixed to the frame on the sides and the whole roof, it should form a really sturdy box.

I've even considered making I-beams using strips of 12mm plywood. I've seen that construction method being use in a few DIY builds, and it seems to work quite well.

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the process and the research. Which of course sometimes sidetracks me totally.... If I make mistakes, I'll fix it and move on.
    Anton

That crowd in PE also do premade shapes, like angle and cappings, maybe have a look at their dogalogue for ideas.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

avk

Started mocking up the rear kitchen section this morning. The uprights will be used as is, the section connecting the uprights is just temporary to keep them up. Plywood "shelves" and a plywood rear will connect the sides at right angles to make a (hopefully) strong box. This also shows the reason for me building the separate rib-section below the floor.

I'll follow basically the same procedure for the nose of the trailer. This should give me a strong rear and front "box" which I can then connect lengthwise to each other with a lighter frame. Now just wait for some cashflow to buy more materials.

Name:  Image200001.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  243.8 KB

Unfortunately it was during this process that I realised that right rear corner of the trailer is drooping by about 15mm. Not sure if this was from manufacture or from lugging around the golf cart. This means I'll have to either fix it, or shim up the floor on one side. You won't see the shims, so I reckon that should be the easiest way.

15mm at the bottom translates into a big difference at the top. If I just build from it, there will be a noticeable lean to one side. Not happening.
    Anton

Damn, that's bad luck. Are you planning to shim the base/floor up by 15mm on the right hand rear corner? That's quite a gap, but a lot easier than trying to straighten out all the steel of the trailer. It's maybe something to do with the breakneck arrangement and could actually be easier than you think.
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/07/13 at 07:31 PM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Damn, that's bad luck. Are you planning to shim the base/floor up by 15mm on the right hand rear corner? That's quite a gap, but a lot easier than trying to straighten out all the steel of the trailer. It's maybe something to do with the breakneck arrangement and could actually be easier than you think.
    Unfortunately it seems to be the frame itself. Measuring from the floor to the frame just inside the wheel wells are basically the same. From the axle to the same spot on both sides also basically the same. So it is only at the back. I reckon I'll shim it up with strips of plywood, and the planer. Then wood glue it to the bottom of the floor to make sure it stays in place until I bolt the floor down.

Anyway, that's just spitballing right now...will see again next weekend.
    Anton

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7