DIY Mini camping caravan build - Page 10

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Looking awesome Anton. Its starting to take shape nicely and looking forward to the rest of your build. Hats off for tackling a project like this and I think 2020 will see us viewing some pics of it on a camp.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Yes Anton looking great. Keep the pictures and info coming

Franna
    Swambo= Porsche Boxster
    Myself= Triton 3.2 Auto.... Cirrus Inter-cooler,63 mm Powerflo Exhaust and Unichip installed/Tuned by KSD
    Imagine Trailvan 4x4 caravan.
    Play with Fazer boat 17 Ft fitted with 130 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Looking awesome Anton. Its starting to take shape nicely and looking forward to the rest of your build. Hats off for tackling a project like this and I think 2020 will see us viewing some pics of it on a camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franna 4x4 View Post
    Yes Anton looking great. Keep the pictures and info coming
    Thanks guys. Before the end of this year you'll see pics of it camping somewhere.

I would like to have it finished by April holidays, but unfortunately my time is going to be limited over the next 3 months. Luckily I'm not in a hurry. I'll finish it eventually. Even if it takes longer than that.

Will give me some time to get together the cash for the last items I need, like a roof vent.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Made the final cuts (windows and plugs) and glued the first two sections of fibreglass on the inside of the caravan. Now I need to find a roof vent and supports first before I can move on to the rest of the interior skin. Having the vent is essential to get the gap correct. I want to try and glue the section from the front (below where the insulation can be seen) and the roof in one section...not sure how that will turn out. But going to give it a go anyway. I unfortunately have a gap or two in places, but I will be adding a beading of some sort in the corners to finish of the interior, and this should hide the minor gaps.

The sections below where the plywood is still visible, will be carpeted instead of using fibreglass. I reckon using carpet will be easier to fit, as well as giving a more "warm" finish. I was also wondering about marks on the fibreglass from feet, etc. so carpet should prevent this.

First have some other fish to fry at the moment.

Name:  Image100001.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  135.6 KB

Name:  Image100002.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  161.7 KB
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Thumbs up Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Yes it`s coming on nicely

Franna
    Swambo= Porsche Boxster
    Myself= Triton 3.2 Auto.... Cirrus Inter-cooler,63 mm Powerflo Exhaust and Unichip installed/Tuned by KSD
    Imagine Trailvan 4x4 caravan.
    Play with Fazer boat 17 Ft fitted with 130 Yamaha

So I added the little lip on the inside of the window frames a while ago. When I came to fit the rubbers, I realised that the plywood strips weren't straight...they made waves, which made the rubbers not be straight either.

This irritated me, as I do not have the tools to really cut these strips of plywood perfectly. I left it as is for the while.

Fast forward to 2 days ago...I picked up another tool. Yes..I have a bit of problem. But I like having the right tool for the job. Bought a table saw secondhand. Could never justify buying one...but stumbled across this one on FB Marketplace. They sell for R4k+ new. Got this one for less then half the price. And it is in immaculate condition! More than enough for my DIY goals, but also better then the really cheap entry-level ones.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-01-06 at 20.05.15.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  38.7 KB

This now allowed me to rip the plywood into perfect widths, laminate them together in pairs and glue them in the correct places in the window frames. This gives the perfect width (including the fibreglass sheet on the outside later) to fit the rubber for the window nice and snugly.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-01-10 at 14.25.31.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-01-10 at 14.18.17.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  42.1 KB

Now I feel better. This will allow the rubbers to sit nice and evenly, instead of having slight waves. Something that 99% of people would not have noticed. But I would've known...
    Anton

Anton, fashion an outfeed table, board on those cool trestles or whatever. So much better than picking up or trying to hold on to the pieces that have just been cut.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Anton, fashion an outfeed table, board on those cool trestles or whatever. So much better than picking up or trying to hold on to the pieces that have just been cut.
    That is a good idea. I've been thinking of something like that...might just become a small side project in the future.
    Anton

So...got a package today. Thanks to Gary (ViperR) who put me onto basically the only supplier (Fiamma) who actually had stock at a decent price. And I also got the power inlet from them at a good price. So happy camper. Could've tried to go cheaper or secondhand, but I reckon this is a very important part...number one place where leaks will start, so I'm not taking any shortcuts.

Been waiting almost a month to get my hands on this, as I am kinda stuck where I am. Now I can finish the last section of the roof structure, ready to add the inner skin, lay wires, add insulation...we are getting somewhere slowly.

Of course then comes the finishing off, which I know is going to be time consuming...and unfortunately I just don't have enough time at the moment to really spend on it.

Views: 593
Size:  219.4 KB
    Anton

11. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Awesome glad you got sorted.
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

So, mocked up the roof vent this morning. Think it will work perfectly.

Now I can finish the rest of the structure forward of the roof vent. The on to the part I'm dreading...skinning the inside.

Views: 487
Size:  207.7 KB

Name:  Image100002.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  232.4 KB
    Anton

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Works very nicely. Little one is very impressed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200215_133626.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	558246
    Anton

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Nice would like toe see the end result when all is finished

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLi4 Chris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OLi4 Chris View Post
    Also looking forward to seeing the vision having come to life. Enjoying the journey of seeing it happen a lot.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by OLi4 Chris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Also looking forward to seeing the vision having come to life. Enjoying the journey of seeing it happen a lot.
    Thx!

I can't wait either. Have this idea in my head on how it should look, and it's really exciting to see it coming to life slowly but steadily.

Just wish I had more time to spend on it. Unfortunately I have a huge project I'm working on the side, over and above normal work. Taking SO much of my time, started last year September and will be busy with it until end of this year...maybe even longer. BUT if I manage to pull that project through, and a few things run my way...it will by all worth it.

So the caravan will have to live on the back burner for a while...I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms from not camping.
    Anton

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Hi

Looks awesome, what do you plan on using for the outside panelling

Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul bassani For This Useful Post:

avk

BUT if I manage to pull that project through, and a few things run my way...it will by all worth it.

We wish you the best and know you have the Guts and the rest to do it.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul bassani View Post
    Hi

Looks awesome, what do you plan on using for the outside panelling

Thanks
    The same fibreglass sheeting I have already used on the sides on the inside. You can see a few photos earlier in this thread. I still have to remove the plastic covering on the sheet to stop scratches, which is why it looks a little strange.

The sheets are about 2m wide, and each roll I got is 7m long. The sheet is really strong, but flexible enough that I should be able to bend it around the corners in the front and rear (the angles aren't extreme). About 2.5mm thick if I recall correctly. The sheets are already gel coated, etc. So basically just need to be cut to size. Nice thing is that hey are large enough that I can add the sheets on the outside with the no joints, except the corners where the side walls and the roof come together. Which means I only need to add an angle to waterproof it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    BUT if I manage to pull that project through, and a few things run my way...it will by all worth it.

We wish you the best and know you have the Guts and the rest to do it.
    Thank you very much! I always have this problem on finishing projects. I get bored very quickly...

BUT with the support and comments on this thread, this is one project that will be finished. Not in the time frame I planned, but it WILL be done.
    Anton

28. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Looking good!

Look forward to seeing it out in its elements one day!

Just a point to consider, Anton, now that you mention the cladding type-

-sounds like it is fairly thin and hard, but flexible enough to take a gentle radius in one direction ( a bit like Formica in properties-?)

-looking at your structure at the pic with the roof-vent, and seeing that you are using soft compressible blanket insulation, rather than rigid board type:-

I am wondering if the larger framed areas may present you a problem later? -possibly the dynamic air pressure will allow these areas to 'dimple and pop' as you travel? -particularly any flatter faces and areas, where no installed curvature exists to ensure a 'single-span' load principle.

-possible solution may be to incorporate some styrene-board insulation pads in certain areas? -glued in place between inner and outer skin, these would rigidise the cladding considerably -( much like cheap doors are made of 2x 3mm masonite + paper honeycomb rigidising core).
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick L For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast