DIY Mini camping caravan build - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    On a different note. Found a company in PE that makes refrigerated trucks and trailers. Apparently they also manufacture a similar product (slightly thinner) for caravans/camping trailers. It is a composite material with insulation on the inside, aluminium/fibreglass skin on the inside and outside. From what I understand they make these in different thicknesses. I can take the trailer in and they will do the exact measurements and build the outer shell for me, including adding windows and doors. Then I can do the inside, wiring, etc.

If they can do this I am definitely interested. This will mean I can have a waterproof, insulated shell built by a company that does this on a daily basis. I really hope they can do it for a decent price, as this will solve a bunch of problems for me. Weight should also be good. Will also cut down on manufacturing time for me.

The guy who does the designs and quotes for this is currently on leave, but will be there on Monday.
    I would definitely consider this product and option.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

avk

it works well i used it to make the roofs on barges strong and light

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

avk

Instead of welding anything to it, consider making the "caravan" part bolt on, with an easy way to maybe roll or lift it off. You then have a nice trailer for moving things around if you need to and when the time comes it can be a camper. Probably saves you from re-registering it too.

Looking at doing something like this myself, but I also need a bike trailer, so I thought of making a removable "caravan" part... I have no details of what and how, just a thought I'd like to share.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boksie For This Useful Post:

I am SO subscribing to this thread. It's amazing, never thought of it before and I can't wait to see more!

On the option of making the caravan part bolt-on - should be relatively easy with 4 legs. Unbolt the bolts holding the caravan to the trailer. Jack up the rear of the trailer - extend 2 legs at the back of the caravan section, insert pins or trestles. Release jack. Jack up front of the trailer - extend 2 legs at the front of the caravan section, insert pins or trestles. Release jack. Pull out trailer.

Trestles are cheap, and don't even have to ride along. You can fasten them to the caravan at home. If the top section it light enough, you can even lift it off the trailer section using a pulley system hanging from a higher roof or overhead support beam.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

avk

I actually missed this initially....they are IN PE! Brilliant. Will check them out ASAP.
    They also do "offcuts" from left over stock.
    I was after some 2mm GRP sheet and they had black stock left over that they were happy to cut for me.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by Boksie View Post
    Instead of welding anything to it, consider making the "caravan" part bolt on, with an easy way to maybe roll or lift it off. You then have a nice trailer for moving things around if you need to and when the time comes it can be a camper. Probably saves you from re-registering it too.

Looking at doing something like this myself, but I also need a bike trailer, so I thought of making a removable "caravan" part... I have no details of what and how, just a thought I'd like to share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I am SO subscribing to this thread. It's amazing, never thought of it before and I can't wait to see more!

On the option of making the caravan part bolt-on - should be relatively easy with 4 legs. Unbolt the bolts holding the caravan to the trailer. Jack up the rear of the trailer - extend 2 legs at the back of the caravan section, insert pins or trestles. Release jack. Jack up front of the trailer - extend 2 legs at the front of the caravan section, insert pins or trestles. Release jack. Pull out trailer.

Trestles are cheap, and don't even have to ride along. You can fasten them to the caravan at home. If the top section it light enough, you can even lift it off the trailer section using a pulley system hanging from a higher roof or overhead support beam.
    This is one of the considerations I am keeping in mind....for more than one reason.

Firstly, as you mention you then have a multi-purpose trailer.

Secondly, this also means that the trailer is technically still a normal flatdeck trailer with a load on it that has just been temporarily fastened...which means it's not necessary to go through the legal process of registering it with a new Tare and description. My logic groups this in the same place as fastening a canopy to the back of a bakkie? Whether this will fly with the Traffic Department I have no idea...
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

This is one of the considerations I am keeping in mind....for more than one reason.

Firstly, as you mention you then have a multi-purpose trailer.

Secondly, this also means that the trailer is technically still a normal flatdeck trailer with a load on it that has just been temporarily fastened...which means it's not necessary to go through the legal process of registering it with a new Tare and description. My logic groups this in the same place as fastening a canopy to the back of a bakkie? Whether this will fly with the Traffic Department I have no idea...
    I'd run it past the guy you spoke to, but it should fly as long as you can demonstrate that it is removeable.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I'd run it past the guy you spoke to, but it should fly as long as you can demonstrate that it is removeable.
    The guy at the testing station wasn't 100% sure, but he agreed in principal with my logic. I'm going to try and build my van in such a way that this is possible anyway. If it works, great! If it doesn't, no problem anyway, then I'll do the registration in the legal way.

Doing the build using the insulation type material from my previous post, you don't weld it to the frame trailer anyway? I'm assuming it will be fastened to the floor, the floor in turn fastened to the frame. Kinda like a box on top of the frame. This then makes the removable body idea totally possible. Will see when I talk to them what the construction looks like exactly.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

this took a weekend to knock up, that golf cart trailer is to nice to cannibalize and in the end will be more work to make right, there must be a break neck on it to load the cart aswell ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	531360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	531361  

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by SkipSkop View Post
    I would also build a trailer from scratch, its such a simple thing to build, a square frame with a hitch. Rub axles u buy new and they just bolt on, no need for springs and shackle mounts. U can build a platform on a Saturday afternoon, really and then u can play with your own sizes and design. I`m in J Bay as well, you`r welcome to contact me.
    The law has changed and closed that option down.

It is a MAJOR pain in the bum to build a DIY trailer, what with chassis numbers, data dots, etc etc. Basically only accredited trailer builders can do this these days. In one way, I see the need and the reason and that's to stop badly engineered and welded pieces of crap getting out on the roads.
    Percivamus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

avk

Hi Anton-I also had one home build-was kitted out nicely; even had a small lock-up box for valuables, water tanks, roof rack, sliders with deep fridge etc. Only mistake was using thick tubing that made it very heavy for towing-follow my and other's advice-watch out for adding too much weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2362.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	531365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2890.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	531366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2897.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	531367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Agterkant.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	531368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2901.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	367.2 KB 
ID:	531369  

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietpajero For This Useful Post:

avk

Maybe somebody should start a sticky on how to legally build a DIY trailer these days.
    Percivamus

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

It is a MAJOR pain in the bum to build a DIY trailer, what with chassis numbers, data dots, etc etc. Basically only accredited trailer builders can do this these days. In one way, I see the need and the reason and that's to stop badly engineered and welded pieces of crap getting out on the roads.

all i am saying if you are buying a trailer for the main reason being a license then get a piece of junk, that golf cart trailer is built to carry a cart that weighs 250kg so in essence nothing on that trailer will survive springs, axle, tyres are to light weight and is in perfect condition to be used for its intended purpose

24. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

avk

On a different note. Found a company in PE that makes refrigerated trucks and trailers. Apparently they also manufacture a similar product (slightly thinner) for caravans/camping trailers. It is a composite material with insulation on the inside, aluminium/fibreglass skin on the inside and outside. From what I understand they make these in different thicknesses. I can take the trailer in and they will do the exact measurements and build the outer shell for me, including adding windows and doors. Then I can do the inside, wiring, etc.

If they can do this I am definitely interested. This will mean I can have a waterproof, insulated shell built by a company that does this on a daily basis. I really hope they can do it for a decent price, as this will solve a bunch of problems for me. Weight should also be good. Will also cut down on manufacturing time for me.

The guy who does the designs and quotes for this is currently on leave, but will be there on Monday.
    AKV

I import and sell Aluminium Compost products into the signage and Architecture markets. These same products are used in Caravan and Motohome manufacture in Europe and Australia. These are not Chinese grades. I am happy to assist you with info and material if you want.

Note This is not a commercial or advert for my business. I sell the stuff by the container load. I have assisted a few other members and am very happy to assists you with the few sheets you will require. We can cut to size for you as well. PM me if I can help.

Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wedwo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    this took a weekend to knock up, that golf cart trailer is to nice to cannibalize and in the end will be more work to make right, there must be a break neck on it to load the cart aswell ?
    I hear you. But when you start looking at prices for the bits I would need, axle, wheels, suspension, hitch, lights, etc. and then steel, you actually end up at quite a bit more expensive than what I paid for the trailer. Also, this saves a huge amount of time. Also...I did some research, talked to a few people, and as Jelo says below, it's a pain to register a home built trailer. I know I can go through a registered builder (and I have had offers from people to help me with this) but that doesn't happen for free...this one is already done. And there are a few available...just in JBay there were 3 between R10k and R12k.

Yes, it does tip. But essentially the function doesn't add much extra weight. Very clever system that tilts at a point slightly behind the axle, from an extension to the A-frame. I'm going to just add stainless bolts in the place of the pins through where it hinges as well as where the pins go through to lock it in place when the tip is up, and lock these bolts in place. In this way I can always later revert the trailer back to a tipping trailer and resell it as a golf trailer if I really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Exactly what I found from my research.

In one of my other threads someone mentioned a company working on a broken down "kit" that you could buy and just assemble the trailer. I've seen this in the USA, and it works really well. Should simplify the paperwork immensely. Then I would consider trying to go the DIY route.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietpajero View Post
    Hi Anton-I also had one home build-was kitted out nicely; even had a small lock-up box for valuables, water tanks, roof rack, sliders with deep fridge etc. Only mistake was using thick tubing that made it very heavy for towing-follow my and other's advice-watch out for adding too much weight
    I hear you! This is one of the reasons I am looking at some other (perhaps a bit out of the box) ideas for my build. I am 90% certain that I will not be using any steel other than the actual trailer.

I will HAVE to keep the weight of the trailer down. My goal is to keep the whole build to under 500kg or lower. Dry weight. The trailer currently weighs 230kg. I am going to add a bit of weight to extend the sides, but I'm also removing a bit of weight (rails, ramp, etc), so it should stay about the same. Which gives me 370kg max for the "box"-build. I think I should be able to get away with that if I build smart. This gives me 250kg max for the payload, which will work easily for what I have in mind.

As an example, I've done a bit of calculating, and if I build this in the way other build on the interwebs (Europe and USA) by using a combination of Marine Ply (9mm thick) and some wood for reinforcing the sides, a thin aluminium skin on the outside, and then use the same Marine ply for the cabinets, etc, I will add about 180-200kg. This is why I am now looking at alternatives that might be even lighter...

Of course all of these calculations and weights are a bit "pie in the sky". The proof will be in the pudding later... In the end I want a relatively light weight, but very compact camper to tow.
    Last edited by avk; 2019/06/18 at 06:15 PM.
    Anton

Quote Originally Posted by Wedwo View Post
    AKV

I import and sell Aluminium Compost products into the signage and Architecture markets. These same products are used in Caravan and Motohome manufacture in Europe and Australia. These are not Chinese grades. I am happy to assist you with info and material if you want.

Note This is not a commercial or advert for my business. I sell the stuff by the container load. I have assisted a few other members and am very happy to assists you with the few sheets you will require. We can cut to size for you as well. PM me if I can help.

Regards Gavin
    Thanks Gavin.

Will PM you.
    Anton

OK. So here is Version 3 of my basic design. I've lost the 30cm extension on the back from my previous design, necessitating a slight change where the bed goes under the kitchen area instead of flush against it, which of course is quite normal for this type of trailer, so no problem. This should move the centre mass of the trailer forward a bit. Also, don't really need the extra space it would've created. Makes the construction heaps easier as well.

The section below the kitchen is now narrower, but still usable as storage for pots, pans, etc. I'm making the doors open lower now (as I don't have to account for the section that would've tilted up), so the space will be easily accessible.

I've also indicated more clearly (after actually measuring it ) where the axle is. I think the position of the axle should be OK. Keeping in mind that the sketch basically only shows the loading area, so the A-frame is also still in front of that.

Name:  v3.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  104.5 KB
    Anton

The rule of thumb for the axle position is 50% of the load body + 10% back, in theory that is the sweet spot for good towing behavior. Any further back makes for a much more stable tow at the cost of weight on the tow bar (50 - 100kg). By adding a nosecone you can add some weight in front of the axle on to the hitch, with the kitchen at the back and the heavy fridge behind the axle it might be a good thing to mount the spare wheel on the A frame as a counter weight.

Nothing stops you building the "box" with an overhang at the back

This stuff that Gavin is bragging about has got me thinking......... must send him a pm
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    The rule of thumb for the axle position is 50% of the load body + 10% back, in theory that is the sweet spot for good towing behavior. Any further back makes for a much more stable tow at the cost of weight on the tow bar (50 - 100kg). By adding a nosecone you can add some weight in front of the axle on to the hitch, with the kitchen at the back and the heavy fridge behind the axle it might be a good thing to mount the spare wheel on the A frame as a counter weight.

Nothing stops you building the "box" with an overhang at the back

This stuff that Gavin is bragging about has got me thinking......... must send him a pm
    Thx. That means my axle position should be perfect in my current design.

If I go the "box on the back" route, I was definitely thinking of placing the spare wheel in the front. Also, the way my design works is that I have a low down storage box the width of the trailer, in the front as well as the back. Which means I can move around items to help with weight distribution. But a nosecone, and front mounted spare is 100% going to happen.

P.S. very impressive stuff that Gavin is offering....
    Anton

Default DIY Mini camping caravan build

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Any further back makes for a much more stable tow at the cost of weight on the tow bar (50 - 100kg).
    Or add length to the draw bar
    Last edited by BruceB; 2019/06/20 at 09:44 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast