DIY Mini camping caravan build - Page 9

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Started working on the kitchen section as well today. Added the 'shelf' where the fridge, etc. will be standing on. Cleaned up the sides by adding a piece of plywood on both sides. This serves to create a bit of a cavity where all the wires, etc. will be run and hidden from view. These will be modified before final installation so I can open/remove then to get to the wires if needed in the future.

The work surface will hinge open, and has space for three ammo boxes. You can see two of them peaking out.

Name:  Image200002.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  Image200003.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  187.4 KB
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Don't know how many are actually following this thread of mine, but I though I'd keep it updated anyway.

----------------

Tinkered around a bit over the last few days. Added lids to the front storage compartment (which will double as a bunk bed for the youngest).

Then added the side cabinets. These will be blown apart again as I need to finish a few things first, like sealing the inner sides of the wheel arches.

The side cabinets are not very large, but my reasoning is that in many of these small, teardrop-style campers have the wheelarches on the outside. So I though by bringing them inside you win quite a bit of space, by not adding a whole bunch of extra weight.

Views: 817
Size:  215.1 KB

Name:  Image200001.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  179.9 KB

The side cabinets as well as the front storage compartment will open as below.

Name:  Image200003.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  197.2 KB
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

3. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the update - I think a lot of people are following but I guess difficult for you to judge until the 'Thanks" button comes back. (Yes I know it is a software issue just saying).

Good luck with the rest of the built, always good to see the members' handiwork.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Keep blogging @avk, and well done on an awesome project:thumbs:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Thanks for the update - I think a lot of people are following but I guess difficult for you to judge until the 'Thanks" button comes back. (Yes I know it is a software issue just saying).

Good luck with the rest of the built, always good to see the members' handiwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddieJ View Post
    Keep blogging @avk, and well done on an awesome project:thumbs:
    Thanks.

I've never put my "handiwork" on display like this.
    Last edited by avk; 2019/12/11 at 06:10 PM.
    Anton

Ek kyk......

Moenie ophou nie
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    2020 Toyota Hilux 2.4GD6 Extracab
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive
    Adrie's fuelsaver....[/B]
    All covered by:TUFFSTUFF INSURANCE PRODUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Nutsman View Post
    Ek kyk......

Moenie ophou nie
    Thx Pieter

As jy nou weer eendag hier in JBay kom draai maak, kom drink 'n koffie dan beloer jy my projekkie bietjie van nader af. Dis 'n mooi-van-ver maar ver-van-mooi projek.
    Anton

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    Thx Pieter

As jy nou weer eendag hier in JBay kom draai maak, kom drink 'n koffie dan beloer jy my projekkie bietjie van nader af. Dis 'n mooi-van-ver maar ver-van-mooi projek.
    Was Saterdag daar......

Sal jou lui
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive

Iím also watching in silence.
    Think it might also be the time of the year, so many of us are pre occupied with other thing currently.

But keep going at it you making good progress.
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

There is a few things that happen when you do a build like this.
    You realize how much R&D goes into the commercial vans.
    Once you finish and start using the van, you wonder why you stressed so much while building.
    Your skill level changes, and you wonder why others can not do the same.
    You realize how little you actually know about building caravans.
    You wonder how its possible that you can build something new that looks like it's secondhand.( because you know where all the mistakes were made)
    You couldn't give a stuff about what other people think of your build.
    You realize you could have done a lot of things different.
    And the list continues.

We're all watching. Don't stop
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    There is a few things that happen when you do a build like this.
    You realize how much R&D goes into the commercial vans.
    Once you finish and start using the van, you wonder why you stressed so much while building.
    Your skill level changes, and you wonder why others can not do the same.
    You realize how little you actually know about building caravans.
    You wonder how its possible that you can build something new that looks like it's secondhand.( because you know where all the mistakes were made)
    You couldn't give a stuff about what other people think of your build.
    You realize you could have done a lot of things different.
    And the list continues.

We're all watching. Don't stop
    Thanks Pieter!

What I've realised is that building this caravan is like playing chess...you need to think 3 moves ahead the whole time.

I often find myself sitting in the garage, just staring at the caravan and thinking. Then realising what I was about to do will have an effect somewhere down the line. So I then make small little changes to my original plans.

I'm actually enjoying the process much more than I thought I would. Many things I would do different next time around...
    Anton

I make bespoke wooden things for people and companies, thinks that have lights and batteries inside.

All to be hired out, so lightweight,extra strength, multiples of each.

Then they must have transport cases.

Your caravan is just a bigger version.

Many are following, waiting for the next post.

All things take time. Its so interesting to follow.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Mocked up the fridge in it's final position, and then whipped up a quick drawer that fits above the fridge. Nothing fancy. Will clad the front of the drawer with the white fibreglass sheets when I start working on that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image200001.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	550797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image200002.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	550798
    Anton

Well, got a few things done over the last few days.
    Finished widening the axle by 65mm on both sides to accommodate the 14" VW Polo mags I have. Welded in a piece of pipe (thick walled pipe - think it is called steam pipe ) that only barely fits over the existing axle, so there is zero lateral movement. There is a long section on both sides of the pipe where the pipe and axle overlap. I also drilled holes through the outer pipe (not the inside) on multiple places to allow me to spot weld the outer pipe to the axle as well. The steam pipe also has a ridge on the inside (I'm assuming where the steel was bent to close it into a pipe and welded), so I ground in a slot on the axle. This helped the outer pipe to slide into this slot - like a key slot, further minimising any possibility of the axle to roll/move inside the outer pipe. Welded it all up, ground back the welds and gave it a few coats of Hammerite. So now it looks brand new. Unfortunately forgot to take a picture of the finished product.

I'll keep a close eye on it for any issues, and replace the axle if needed with a standard bought axle. I've already gotten a quote for a standard axle which is exactly the length I need for about R1500. For now, I decided to not go to that expenditure.

I finished fitting the floor for the final time (had to lift it to easily get to the axle - easier than working on your back ). Added a small Meranti cover strip (which I had left over from a previous project) to finish it off. I'll lift this cover strip and refasten it after fitting the carpets later.

Name:  Image100001.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  162.1 KB

Last thing I did today was to fit a lip on the inside of the gap left for the windows, by sandwiching layers of plywood which I glued, clamped and then then ripped into thicknesses that will be the correct height for the rubbers to fit correctly as I am using secondhand caravan windows I bought a while back. I left just enough of a gap so I can fit the fibreglass skin, and still have a tight fit of the rubber to stop any water ingress. I will treat this plywood before final fitment, just in case.

On the pictures it looks like the rubbers aren't perfectly straight, but this will be sorted when they are finally put in place. Due to the fact that they are used, I could see that they were originally held in with staples. I'm now glad that I bought that pneumatic staple gun a while back.

Name:  Image200001.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  161.9 KB

Views: 701
Size:  171.9 KB
    Anton

Lyk goed
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Lekker bokkies wat daar binne in die wa staan....

Lyk goed Anton...
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Lyk goed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutsman View Post
    Lekker bokkies wat daar binne in die wa staan....

Lyk goed Anton...
    Thx!

Ja Pieter. Dis veronderstel om vir scaffolding planke te wees, maar hulle werk vrek lekker in die garage.
    Anton

So, what happens when a home DIY'er builds a caravan? You use home building materials that have been left over from projects around the house.

I visited a company that restores caravans (where I picked up a few items like the windows) and saw that most all of the caravans use polystyrene as insulation between the inner and outer skin. This however is so much easier to cut to size and fit. Not the ideal I guess, but it should work. Had to put this in now before I fit the inner skin as I won't have access to it once the skin goes on. Once the inner skin is complete, I'll add the remaining wiring, then the insulation before putting the outer skin on.

Used the staple-gun and some thin fishing line to hold the insulation in place temporarily.

Views: 584
Size:  149.4 KB

Also started the wiring process. This is taking me a while, as I'm still figuring out where the plug points and lights will go. Also added alight switch and two reading lights which you can see on the right. These have now been wired up. Have put in GU-10 LED 6W bulbs. There will also be a 50cm LED striplight to light up the whole cabin if needed.

Views: 590
Size:  183.0 KB
    Anton

Started working on the wiring, so I can skin the inside of the van.

Reading lights added. For the moment they run on 220V. But should easily be able to change to 12V if needed. Also added a plug point in the kitchen area.

Name:  Image100002.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  166.4 KB

Plugs added, one on each side of the caravan. I got these plug points which includes the new 3-point plug as well as 2 x 2A USB charging ports. Got them for a really good price from Takealot @ R109 each. Thinking of getting one or two more for the house...most other places are much more expensive for these.

Views: 541
Size:  166.2 KB
    Anton

Started roughing out the interior skins. The fibreglass sheets actually works realitively easily. Still a bit of a bugger.

Saw a hint on the Youtube channel (the Australian building that huge fibreglass catamaran) where he puts baby powder all over his arms, legs, etc. before starting to cut the fibreglass. I did the same, and it seems to be working really well. I also bought a good filtered facemask as well... don't want that fibreglass dust in my lungs or eyes... But I'm not itching, so the baby powder must be working.

Looks like it will work well once seated and fixed in place.

P.S. There is a thin plastic covering over the gel coat to keep it from scratching, which looks bad on the pic.

Views: 494
Size:  121.7 KB
    Anton

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast