DIY Mini camping caravan build - Page 6

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Nice tear drop plans 2plus2H.pdf

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martiny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    So, as many of you know I'm going through a rather difficult time in my life at the moment, so I decided to do something to keep my hands busy with. I've wanted to build a camping trailer for a long time, almost a tear drop style, but more rectangular to make the build easier. I also feel that the tear drop style has a lot of waste space for it's footprint. I started asking a few questions on the forum a while ago regarding trailers, caravans, etc.SO! First things first! I got the trailer I'll be using as my base! At last!After searching and weighing up all of my options (P.S. thank you to all the offers with regards to building a registered frame trailer for me!!), I happened to find this trailer for sale in town. It's a fully galvanised tip trailer for a golf cart. 750 GVM, exactly what I needed. Got it for R9000, which I think is a really good price. I've seen what these go for new....Attachment 530916The loading section is about 1.4m wide and 2.6m long.I'm going to have to modify a few things, but nothing major. E.g. the rail on the sides will have to go. The "ramps" on the back will also go. The axle will have to be spaced down a bit (or replaced) to fit larger tyres underneath. I'm not going full off road (maybe later), but would like to fit a 14" rim and tyre combo underneath (I have 4 rims with the same PCD and basically new tyres, so would like to use them).This is a rough idea of what I'm looking at as a final product:Attachment 530917If I can get anywhere close to that look, I'll be happy. So here we go. Going to try and document my build as I go along. Will also be asking for a LOT of advice. I've never done something like this in my life, but I'm always willing to learn. Even if I make a bunch of mistakes along the way.
    Hi, I have looked at a similar project and found that either aluminium panels or fibreglass sheets would do the best job. We manufacture fibreglass caravans and the flat panels are easy to work with, light and can be put together with modular type brackets. I would then insulate in nicely with a spray on liner and then foam mat. That should keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. Just keep ventilation in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Fixed that for you

I lways thought the reason for posting is to share information, I "steal" information constantly and in this thread I have already picked up a pointer or two, in return I try and "pay" for ideas by contributing so here goes

For the underside of the timber first give it a good coat of karbolineum or creosote and then a good bitumen coating that stays flexible like under body sealant, reason for this is that it does not chip and expose raw wood as paint will and thereby allowing water to penetrate and rot to set in. Caravansused to have this protection on their floors and it worked exceptionally well. Caravan floors wer made of 12mm commercial ply to save weight and was perfectly strong enough.

Build looks good on both, almost makes me want to do a mini off road teardrop, I have a flat bed trailer that is not being used anymore
    Go fir it! I must admit, I am not a very handy man with my hands....but I am enjoying the process.

Regarding the floor, I have just finished cutting and fitting the floor using 12mm plywood. I have started by actually drenching the plywood in a 50/50 mix of Rustix Timbacare (had this left over from DIY home projects) and turpentine. The wood basically soaks it in as you put it on, it just goes away... Then a second coat, then 2 more coats of undiluted Timbacare. I've used this same procedure on my woodwork outside the house, where it is in the weather 24/7 (you can actually see some of that in the first post where I showed my trailer in my driveway) and it is absolutely amazing how well it weatherproofs wood. I haven't resealed one of those pieces of wood in close to 4 years. No issues - but will be resealing them this summer. I'm hoping it will last even longer on a trailer which will sleep inside a garage, and only be on the road for 12-14 days a year...

The mudguards have been given 3 coats of Hammerite inside and out. I will be spraying the underside with stonechip to help protect it. After your post, I might use something else and do the whole underside...still wondering about that. Many of the old caravans I've looked at, basically have plywood floors open to the elements on the underside. No extra protection, nothing...which I found quite interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image100001.jpg 
Views:	1206 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	533161

Quote Originally Posted by Grace2016 View Post
    Hi, I have looked at a similar project and found that either aluminium panels or fibreglass sheets would do the best job. We manufacture fibreglass caravans and the flat panels are easy to work with, light and can be put together with modular type brackets. I would then insulate in nicely with a spray on liner and then foam mat. That should keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. Just keep ventilation in mind.
    I bought my sheets of fibreglass last week... Managed to find someone who sells them privately (as the company who produces them didn't really want to sell in very small quantities). Got 3 sheets of 7m+ each. Should be enough to cover the van totally on the outside, as well as the inside. It is 2.5-3mm thick, and already has a nice smooth (gel coat I assume) surface on the outside. It is also 2m wide, so will easily span the height of the walls and/or the width of the roof.

Also bends really well....which of course has given me a few other ideas....redesigned some of the van. Again.

Then I was thinking of using a polystyrene type product such as Isowall (which they use to insulate houses) which is a rigid product in sheets, which you can basically cut to any size to fit in all of the sections. To be honest, insulation was not very high on my list of important items...but I've given that a bit of a rethink, and will add it as I go. I can use a spray foam to fill in gaps (if needed).

Basic idea is now to build a framework, then fasten the glasfibre sheets on the outside and the inside, effectively boxing the structure and making it solid and rigid. Also saves quite a bit of weight compared to some of my other ideas....

I'm just going to give it a go. If it flops, it flops....I'll redo it in some or other way. That's how you learn. I have not spent a bunch of money on materials....so I can redo it if needed. I'm very stubborn, and I HAVE to find out if this will work or not....there is just one way.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

5. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Agree with Henk's suggestion, don't forget your exterior woodwork at home doesn't get hammered by stones, unless you have some unruly neighbors
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

avk

OK. So this is what I got done today. Back to work tomorrow, so project will have to go on over weekends.

And yeah...the plans have changed yet again. For the last time now hopefully. Having gotten the fibreglass sheeting, I realised that the sheets actually bend really nicely. So I've decided to create rounded overhangs front and back instead of the right angles I was considering initially. This should give it a more mainstream "caravanny" look. They will be glued (only using waterproof glue for this) and screwed (decking screws) to the floor.

It might not work out as I plan, but I'm on this course now, and will see how it works out. If it doesn't work...I'll try again.

Built these ribs front and back (will also have a set on the top for the roof corners) to help support the fibreglass sheeting when I mount and bend it. This should allow me to start at the front, fasten the sheet and then use one continuous sheet over the roof right to the back. In my head I'm thinking: Less joins = less possibility for leaks. The sheets are over 7m long, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Name:	Image100001.jpg 
Views:	1144 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	533224

Name:	Image100002.jpg 
Views:	1162 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	533225

You can see some of my initial CAD templates laying in the front. CAD as in Cardboard Aided Design (ala Binky - and if you don't know Binky, get yourself over to the Bad Obsession Motorsport Youtube channel...NOW).

Whipped up a quick little jig, with a template so I could roughly cut the shape and then finish off with the router. Much faster, and allows me to get the same shape for all of the ribs.

Name:	Image200001.jpg 
Views:	1152 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	533227

I then sealed them (as I will be doing with all the wooden structure inside the caravan). Now then can lay there and dry out during the week.

Name:	Image100003.jpg 
Views:	1177 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	533226

P.S. I'm just making this up as I go along. Never done anything even remotely close to this project...but I'm enjoying the process and solving issues as I go along. Learning by doing.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by martiny View Post
    Ive done the frame and floor then painted it with oil paint multiple layers now to get a design for it its 1850 wide and 2800 long
    Maybe sell the Ford to fund the trailer...............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Nice work AVK, you seem to be quite handy after all!

The only way you will improve your skills is to try and then to try and do it better the next time...it might not be the same thing you are doing, but it might need similar skills/materials/tools etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaasBakkie For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by PlaasBakkie View Post
    Nice work AVK, you seem to be quite handy after all!

The only way you will improve your skills is to try and then to try and do it better the next time...it might not be the same thing you are doing, but it might need similar skills/materials/tools etc.
    Thanks. I'm always willing to learn.

One of the upshots of this job so far is that I am seriously considering buying a MIG or a TIG welder....
    Anton

And yeah...the plans have changed yet again. For the last time now hopefully. Having gotten the fibreglass sheeting, I realised that the sheets actually bend really nicely. So I've decided to create rounded overhangs front and back instead of the right angles I was considering initially. This should give it a more mainstream "caravanny" look. They will be glued (only using waterproof glue for this) and screwed (decking screws) to the floor.

Hi Anton

Where did you get the fibreglass sheeting and the cost?
    Sizes?

E

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Maybe sell the Ford to fund the trailer...............
    I dont want to spend 85k on a trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
    Hi Anton

Where did you get the fibreglass sheeting and the cost?
    Sizes?

E
    I got it from a guy in Despatch. Not sure where he got it from. Apparently there is a company in Port Elizabeth that makes the sheets.

The sheets are 2m wide and between 7.2m and 7.8m long, IIRC it is 2.5mm thick. I got it for a super cheap price @ R60 per meter. Not sure what they would cost new.

I will try to find the name of the company again in PE that produces the sheets, and you can contact them?
    Anton

17. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

I got it from a guy in Despatch. Not sure where he got it from. Apparently there is a company in Port Elizabeth that makes the sheets.

The sheets are 2m wide and between 7.2m and 7.8m long, IIRC it is 2.5mm thick. I got it for a super cheap price @ R60 per meter. Not sure what they would cost new.

I will try to find the name of the company again in PE that produces the sheets, and you can contact them?
    He probably got it from Cape Composite in PE, they make it.
    That price is exceptionally good, I was quoted R200/sq meter.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    He probably got it from Cape Composite in PE, they make it.
    That price is exceptionally good, I was quoted R200/sq meter.
    That's the place! I also got a quote from them along similar lines.
    Anton

Thumbs up Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

getting the popcorn

Probably fell off from the back of a truck ��
    Last edited by janseekat; 2019/07/11 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    Probably fell off from the back of a truck ��
    Nope. Had a chat with him again. He has a contract with a company to clean out their yard/old stock and then as payment he keeps whatever is removed.
    Anton

23. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Nope. Had a chat with him again. He has a contract with a company to clean out their yard/old stock and then as payment he keeps whatever is removed.
    Leaving him saddled with the environmental hassles of disposing of fibreglass and related products.... sneaky.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Hi Anton, just a thought. Would it be worth running a strip of fiberglass along the seams in the floor to eradicate dust inside the caravan?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Hi Anton, just a thought. Would it be worth running a strip of fiberglass along the seams in the floor to eradicate dust inside the caravan?
    That's not a bad idea....I've been looking at ways to make sure every single join is watertight and dustproof. The floor seems is one of the difficult spots, as I need something flat to not hinder where the mattress will be. There are may options, but seeing as I should have more than enough left over of the fibreglass (whih is already paid for) I just might do that! Thanks for the idea!
    Anton

I was thinking more along the lines of epoxying in a few strips of fiberglass cloth.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast