Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

And water tank
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    The rule of thumb for the axle position is 50% of the load body + 10% back, in theory that is the sweet spot for good towing behavior. Any further back makes for a much more stable tow at the cost of weight on the tow bar (50 - 100kg). By adding a nosecone you can add some weight in front of the axle on to the hitch, with the kitchen at the back and the heavy fridge behind the axle it might be a good thing to mount the spare wheel on the A frame as a counter weight.

Nothing stops you building the "box" with an overhang at the back

This stuff that Gavin is bragging about has got me thinking......... must send him a pm
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I find Henk's advice useful.

If I were building a double axle trailer where would I position the axles? Would I be correct in assuming the centre line between the two axles should be positioned at the %50%+10% mark?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ejay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wedwo View Post
    AKV

I import and sell Aluminium Compost products into the signage and Architecture markets. These same products are used in Caravan and Motohome manufacture in Europe and Australia. These are not Chinese grades. I am happy to assist you with info and material if you want.

Note This is not a commercial or advert for my business. I sell the stuff by the container load. I have assisted a few other members and am very happy to assists you with the few sheets you will require. We can cut to size for you as well. PM me if I can help.

Regards Gavin
    If it were me, I'd seriously consider using ACP, I think it is an awesome product.
    Never used it, but the principle of it is top drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    If it were me, I'd seriously consider using ACP, I think it is an awesome product.
    Never used it, but the principle of it is top drawer.
    Agreed. Looking through the documentation I received from Gavin, it is an amazing, amazing product that they are offering!

Unfortunately I'm in a position where I really want to use it, but I also need to finely balance the cost vs. quality for my purpose. Cost is not as much as I expected though...but then I also have to ship it to my place here in the grammadoelas.

Have a very, very limited budget....8) but also don't want to skimp on important items. I am researching all of the possibilities and will then make a final decision when I get there.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    Thx. That means my axle position should be perfect in my current design.

P.S. very impressive stuff that Gavin is offering....8)
    Total length of the "box" is 2660 half of that is 1330 - 10% or 266 = 1064 from the rear, that is if you are pedantic but yours is in the ball park. from 50% and forward it is not well behaved behind your vehicle and reversing it becomes a mission
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

avk

Subscribed ... looking forward to see how your trailer arises
    Johan du Buson
    Discovery 4 TDV6S (2010)
    Desert Wolf Leo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to photojoe For This Useful Post:

avk

Thumbs up Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Subbed. Looking forward to see this build.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitefang For This Useful Post:

avk

Currently busy grinding and welding on the trailer, to get it ready for the camper top. Waiting on some steel. Also removing one or two items I won't be needing anymore, so not much to show.

I am still VERY torn between the different construction methods, and the more I delve into this "pit of neverendingness"....the more ideas crop up.

But, (and I know this is not the most popular idea on this thread ) in the end I'm pretty sure I'll be going the "traditional" plywood route, with an additional skin on the outside (and maybe inside). For the skin I have a line on flat 2mm fibreglass sheets, of 2m wide and almost any length I need, so I can have continuous sheets on all flat surfaces. This should give me a good, watertight finish. This construction is also easier to do with my tools and knowledge and most important --- stay within my budget.

To be honest, I've always wanted to build this type of trailer from plywood. Just because, why not. If it's a total flop - so be it. I can start again. I am very stubborn that way, and I also need to prove to myself that I can do it...

There's something deeply satisfying to me in carpentry, any woodwork for that matter. I need that in my life right now. 8)
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

On a different note...

Anyone have a 750/900kg axle lying around they want to get rid of cheaply? I don't really have it in my budget to buy a new one... They aren't super expensive, but it eats into my already small budget. https://burquip.co.za/shop/axle-af40a-1650-01/

I have a basically brand new set of 14" mags and tyres (Golf Mk1 - same PCD) that I want to use. However, the offset of the mags means I can't use them unless I get a wider axle. I won't have spacers on any of my vehicles...which means I need an axle of about 1650mm face-to-face.
    Anton

On a different note...

Anyone have a 750/900kg axle lying around they want to get rid of cheaply? I don't really have it in my budget to buy a new one... They aren't super expensive, but it eats into my already small budget. https://burquip.co.za/shop/axle-af40a-1650-01/

I have a basically brand new set of 14" mags and tyres (Golf Mk1 - same PCD) that I want to use. However, the offset of the mags means I can't use them unless I get a wider axle. I won't have spacers on any of my vehicles...which means I need an axle of about 1650mm face-to-face.
    I have 3. 1 x braked and 2 x non braked.

But you are on the other side of the world.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I have 3. 1 x braked and 2 x non braked.

But you are on the other side of the world.
    Thanks Henri.

This is my problem with most everything I need to get.

I am putting out feelers around here as well in the PE/Uitenhage region. I'm sure someone has one laying around.
    Anton

On a different note...

Take the drums/ hubs off and have them re-drilled to the correct pitch. Easy!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Take the drums/ hubs off and have them re-drilled to the correct pitch. Easy!
    Looking back at my post, I might've expressed myself incorrectly.

The problem is that the axle is basically too short. Wondering if I'm using the word offset correctly?

Basically the mating surface of the existing 10 inch wheel is much further in to the centre of the trailer (I think it's basically zero offset - mating surface in the middle of the mag) than the new mags I want to add (where the mating surface is way further away from the centre line of the mag towards the outside).

When I place the mag where I feel it should be (leaving a reasonable gap between the mag and the frame, and only just inside the mudguard) there is currently a 45mm gap too be exact. I can't bolt the wheel to the current hub/axle, as it hits the frame of the trailer above the axle.

Pic below:

Name:  Image00001.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  204.6 KB
    Anton

You can split the axle and if it is square, 2 pieces of angle. If it is round, some boiler tubing.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    You can split the axle and if it is square, 2 pieces of angle. If it is round, some boiler tubing.
    Mine is round. Someone else gave me this advice as well. Basically sleeving the existing, split axle with a larger "pipe" over it, and weld on both sides.

However, would this not compromise the strength of the axle? It will never carry huge amounts of weight, but I also don't want it to break.

As I've said, I'm a carpenter. I don't usually do steel.
    Anton

Mine is round. Someone else gave me this advice as well. Basically sleeving the existing, split axle with a larger "pipe" over it, and weld on both sides.

However, would this not compromise the strength of the axle? It will never carry huge amounts of weight, but I also don't want it to break.

As I've said, I'm a carpenter. I don't usually do steel.
    The centre of the axle is not carrying weight. It just holds the wheels straight.

Of you put the 2 halves on, then just make some holes in your clam shells as well and weld through them as well. But use some proper heavy wall boiler tubing.
    Last edited by Henris; 2019/06/24 at 07:02 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

avk

In my own experience with two such systems a plywood construction system for a trailer can last a very long time if done properly and cared for when required.

In 1993 I built a meranti framed plywood skinned box 2400 long 600 high with side hatches all round onto an off road bike trailer we had so that we could transport all our windsurfing equipment wet suits, camping equipment, tents, table chairs etc. and when required we could and still can remove the box and and use it as a M/bike trailer.

I chose wood because it does not rust if it gets salt water onto it something that can regularly happen if you transport wave boards, leave a wet suit on it etc.
    When we stopped sailing windsurfers we converted the windsurfer carry frame so that we could transport 5 mountain bikes on top of the box.
    The floor is 12mm and the sides and top 6mm marine ply onto a 20x20 meranti frame, glued with Balcotan. If I had to do it again I would make the sides and top with a thinner marine ply and would consider skinning it in aluminium.
    The outside was finished with sprayed painted white Plascon Glatex 8 epoxy and a clear matt epoxy internally, there is no internal lining so all the ribs are visible.
    I have only repainted it once since 1993.

We also owned a 8.5m Motorhome that was constructed by WJ on a Mercedes truck chassis in 1985. .
    We bought it secondhand and regularly towed the trailer mentioned above with all the kit in and on it behind the motorhome.
    After many years of use we sold it in 2012 because our kids were grown up and we wanted to do more trips to places where a 4x4 would be required, if not for that we would still have owned it.
    To keep the weight down the external wall panels and the roof were made with a 20x20 or 20x44 meranti frame, these were spaced at +-300-400mm intervals to suit the spanning properties of the inside and outside skins as well as where loads were distributed.
    It had additional wood ribs in the walls where cupboards or any inside items needed to be fixed to it.
    The outside skin is a thin ply 3-4mm with pre-finished thin fibreglass skin 1,5 to 2mm, the voids in the frame between the inside and outside skin is filled with polystyrene insulation which also add stiffness to the walls.
    The walls and the roof were all constructed with a vacuum bonding process while lying flat, all the openings for windows doors skylights were cut and trimmed and windows were test installed before the panels were tilted up.
    The inside ply skin was also finished with vinyl wall paper, the roof was carpeted for sound and the floor was finished before the panels were tilted into position.
    It is much quicker measuring marking out and cutting the panels when they supported and lying on a flat surface.
    All the routes for cabling was built into the walls and roof.
    The floor is 19 or 22mm ply with polystyrene insulation under it between the frames.
    The entire interior was built with 3mm ply over a foam core, or a skinny meranti frame, everything was finished with hinges, struts, handles etc before it was installed and in some instances were mounted to the walls before they were tilted up.
    Installing the roof and the edge trims last makes working inside the box much easier.
    Take special care to seal around all the windows, roof hatches and doors with a flexible Sika sealant or similar product to allow it to remain water tight.

A week ago I saw a video of a huge Australian built luxury off road caravan that they construct with wood and ply, theirs is skinned externally with aluminium.
    Amazingly the WJ that was built in 1985 in Vereeniging was constructed with vacuum bonding, finished lying down before being and tilted up, these Aussies only build a frame lying down which they tilt up into position on the chassis and then skin inside and out (vertically) which is much more difficult and slower.

Good luck with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    In my own experience with two such systems a plywood construction system for a trailer can last a very long time if done properly and cared for when required.

In 1993 I built a meranti framed plywood skinned box 2400 long 600 high with side hatches all round onto an off road bike trailer we had so that we could transport all our windsurfing equipment wet suits, camping equipment, tents, table chairs etc. and when required we could and still can remove the box and and use it as a M/bike trailer.

I chose wood because it does not rust if it gets salt water onto it something that can regularly happen if you transport wave boards, leave a wet suit on it etc.
    When we stopped sailing windsurfers we converted the windsurfer carry frame so that we could transport 5 mountain bikes on top of the box.
    The floor is 12mm and the sides and top 6mm marine ply onto a 20x20 meranti frame, glued with Balcotan. If I had to do it again I would make the sides and top with a thinner marine ply and would consider skinning it in aluminium.
    The outside was finished with sprayed painted white Plascon Glatex 8 epoxy and a clear matt epoxy internally, there is no internal lining so all the ribs are visible.
    I have only repainted it once since 1993.

We also owned a 8.5m Motorhome that was constructed by WJ on a Mercedes truck chassis in 1985. .
    We bought it secondhand and regularly towed the trailer mentioned above with all the kit in and on it behind the motorhome.
    After many years of use we sold it in 2012 because our kids were grown up and we wanted to do more trips to places where a 4x4 would be required, if not for that we would still have owned it.
    To keep the weight down the external wall panels and the roof were made with a 20x20 or 20x44 meranti frame, these were spaced at +-300-400mm intervals to suit the spanning properties of the inside and outside skins as well as where loads were distributed.
    It had additional wood ribs in the walls where cupboards or any inside items needed to be fixed to it.
    The outside skin is a thin ply 3-4mm with pre-finished thin fibreglass skin 1,5 to 2mm, the voids in the frame between the inside and outside skin is filled with polystyrene insulation which also add stiffness to the walls.
    The walls and the roof were all constructed with a vacuum bonding process while lying flat, all the openings for windows doors skylights were cut and trimmed and windows were test installed before the panels were tilted up.
    The inside ply skin was also finished with vinyl wall paper, the roof was carpeted for sound and the floor was finished before the panels were tilted into position.
    It is much quicker measuring marking out and cutting the panels when they supported and lying on a flat surface.
    All the routes for cabling was built into the walls and roof.
    The floor is 19 or 22mm ply with polystyrene insulation under it between the frames.
    The entire interior was built with 3mm ply over a foam core, or a skinny meranti frame, everything was finished with hinges, struts, handles etc before it was installed and in some instances were mounted to the walls before they were tilted up.
    Installing the roof and the edge trims last makes working inside the box much easier.
    Take special care to seal around all the windows, roof hatches and doors with a flexible Sika sealant or similar product to allow it to remain water tight.

A week ago I saw a video of a huge Australian built luxury off road caravan that they construct with wood and ply, theirs is skinned externally with aluminium.
    Amazingly the WJ that was built in 1985 in Vereeniging was constructed with vacuum bonding, finished lying down before being and tilted up, these Aussies only build a frame lying down which they tilt up into position on the chassis and then skin inside and out (vertically) which is much more difficult and slower.

Good luck with the build.
    Thank you VERY much for this detailed post! It really helps me a lot to know that a similarly built trailer has lasted so long.

I have sized my trailer in such a way that it will be stored in a standard garage, as anything left outside here at the coast goes wayward REALLY quickly....so I reckon this will help a lot to ensure the longevity of the trailer.

Thanks again!
    Anton

This is one of the considerations I am keeping in mind....for more than one reason.

Firstly, as you mention you then have a multi-purpose trailer.

Secondly, this also means that the trailer is technically still a normal flatdeck trailer with a load on it that has just been temporarily fastened...which means it's not necessary to go through the legal process of registering it with a new Tare and description. My logic groups this in the same place as fastening a canopy to the back of a bakkie? Whether this will fly with the Traffic Department I have no idea...
    Think they calk it a Kokerbak trailer

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bhwiid For This Useful Post:

avk

Thanks for sharing your project and ideas.

I have a similar dream lying in the back yard - got an old rubber duck trailer as a donor, but will probably end up building the complete trailer from scratch due to the current setup not being beefy enough. My initial plan was to construct a flatbed trailer, and then build a camper box that can be removed if the need arises to have a flatbed trailer making it dual purpose... sort of

Anyway whilst searching for some inspiration on the interwebs I came across this site:

https://www.shawneehillsworkshop.com...verland-camper

Camper also built using mostly plywood and fibreglass, the builder also sells his plans etc.

Keep up the good work.

Edit: Whatever happened to this build?
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Caravan/page19
    Last edited by jurgen10; 2019/06/26 at 08:23 AM.
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jurgen10 For This Useful Post:

avk

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast