DIY Mini camping caravan build - Page 11

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: DIY Mini camping caravan build

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    Thank you very much! I always have this problem on finishing projects. I get bored very quickly...

BUT with the support and comments on this thread, this is one project that will be finished. Not in the time frame I planned, but it WILL be done.
    You can doo eet!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

avk

Looking good Anton.

I know you are busy but do drop by on IAT some time, you have to eat you know
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Looking good!

Look forward to seeing it out in its elements one day!

Just a point to consider, Anton, now that you mention the cladding type-

-sounds like it is fairly thin and hard, but flexible enough to take a gentle radius in one direction ( a bit like Formica in properties-?)

-looking at your structure at the pic with the roof-vent, and seeing that you are using soft compressible blanket insulation, rather than rigid board type:-

I am wondering if the larger framed areas may present you a problem later? -possibly the dynamic air pressure will allow these areas to 'dimple and pop' as you travel? -particularly any flatter faces and areas, where no installed curvature exists to ensure a 'single-span' load principle.

-possible solution may be to incorporate some styrene-board insulation pads in certain areas? -glued in place between inner and outer skin, these would rigidise the cladding considerably -( much like cheap doors are made of 2x 3mm masonite + paper honeycomb rigidising core).
    I was considerig using a styrene based product initially. Used the green stuff in the front, as it was what I had on hand, and shouldn't be an issue there. Had to get it in to go on, so decided to use it.

I hear you on the reason for styerene though. Will revisit that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Looking good Anton.

I know you are busy but do drop by on IAT some time, you have to eat you know
    Will do!
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Got an hour or so today inbetween other stuff, so started putting on the inside skin.

It's tricky though...I'm trying to do this in one piece as I don't want any visible joints if at all possible. This meant cutting and then wrangling a 3.1m x 1.6m piece of glassfibre into a very cramped space with only mm's to spare. Spent almost 30 min getting it in, then found out it's wrong way around. So then had to get it out again, and back in.

At this point I was seriously doubting my wisdom of trying to do this in one piece...

Anyway, it's kinda in place now. Next part is to start fixing it in place.

Name:  Image100001.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  269.0 KB

Name:  Image100002.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  265.9 KB

Going to glue it in place in the same way as the side panels (which worked really well), however I will be adding a few screws as well as it will be hanging from the roof with its full weight. Will then top the screws with those round plastic thingies...just to finish it off. Will fix them in place with a white silicone. Does mean that the screws have to be in the exact correct places, so careful measuring needed for them to line up. Example below of what I'm planning.

Views: 762
Size:  159.8 KB
    Last edited by avk; 2020/03/15 at 04:04 PM.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

I'm sure its going to be a huge success. It looks good so far.
    What about shining a strong light from the other side when determining the exact position of the screws.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I'm sure its going to be a huge success. It looks good so far.
    What about shining a strong light from the other side when determining the exact position of the screws.
    Thx!

Good idea that...I have a spare 50W LED floodlight somewhere. Going to temporarily fix that to the rafters and see.

I also have one of those laser measuring level thingies. Can use the light to locate the beams, and then the laser to line up the screws. Mmmm...think that could work nicely.

Already tested out the laser.

Views: 765
Size:  75.9 KB
    Anton

Looking good
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:

avk

OK. So due to the Covid19 scare, schools have closed early - meaning I have some time at home. Unfortunately will have to spend most of that time on school-related planning, etc. as well as my other side project. But I will 100% put some time aside for my caravan.

Spent today wrestling the rest of the inner roof skin into place. What a mission doing this by myself. But it's all part of the fun I guess. This is a project I want to do myself.

First snugged the skin up against the roof beams. Then mark all the beams on the back of the fibre. This gave me a guide as to where to drill small holes for the screws and where to apply glue. Then applied glue. Applying the glue was a huge pain, as I had to do glue and screw the skin in sections. Too big to do in one go as the glue would be set by the time I had finished putting it on. No time to get the skin in place.

Hindsight is 20/20...should have started in the front and worked my way back. But by the time I had gone halfway it was too late as the glue had already set on the side I had already glued and screwed into place. Oh well..spent a while buggering about getting the glue where it should be on the back of the fibre and the bottom of the roof beams. Side benefit is that it DID show me how strong the structure is. I was clambering along the sides, supporting most of my weight on the roof structure and it held me easily.

Then back inside the van, pressing the skin to the roof structure for the glue to bond and then driving in screws as quickly as I could. No way to get any clamps in. The adjustable 'bokkies' I have, helped immensely here. But, roof skin is in.

This has been a MAJOR step for me. I had been dreading this step for a while now. However, I think this was by far the most difficult part of the glassfibre section. So it's given me a lot of confidence.

I have in mind to seal the corners where the roof and side skins come together. Not sure how yet. Perhaps just a bead of white silicone? Or if I can find a white rubber bead of some kind. One of the last things I'll do, so will cross that bridge when I get there.

Views: 641
Size:  251.0 KB
    Anton

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Oh...and also showed me something else that was nagging in the back of my head.

The fibre glass sheets EASILY make the bends I'll need on the outside. Was worried that they would start showing cracks when bending. But nothing so far I can see.
    Anton

Looks great. Congrats on another milestone.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

avk

leave the silicon and use bond and seal (sigaflex) it lasts much longer and works better for every application look at the boating aluminum profiles when it comes to hiding joints ect

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

avk

TIC if you turned the van upside down you could have done the ceiling easier.

Working on your own like that is not fun, but you must have been really chuffed with yourself in the end, WELL DONE
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    TIC if you turned the van upside down you could have done the ceiling easier.

Working on your own like that is not fun, but you must have been really chuffed with yourself in the end, WELL DONE
    If only I could!

Another thing I noticed (not for the first time) is how garages are built. I've always wondered why garages aren't just built 1m wider than normal. Would've made a massive difference...I of course know it is cost prohibitive, but that 1m would've made my current build so much easier.

I guess I could turn it sideways and use the width of two of the garages, but then my Isuzu would have to sleep outside and I don't want it leave it outside on a long term basis here at the coast. So I'll make it work.
    Anton

I saw some rust brown bodies on the way to the paint shop at Motor Assemblies Prospecton.Left there hanging on the convey over a long weekend.

I needed space so I added 10.5 x 8.5 x 3.5 m high with a doorway into my little double garage.

could not go bigger because of angle it is.wish it as bigger, but then there would be more cr.p inside.

We all do with what we have at the time.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

avk

Cant wait to see end result. Subscribed

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    If only I could!

Another thing I noticed (not for the first time) is how garages are built. I've always wondered why garages aren't just built 1m wider than normal. Would've made a massive difference...I of course know it is cost prohibitive, but that 1m would've made my current build so much easier.

I guess I could turn it sideways and use the width of two of the garages, but then my Isuzu would have to sleep outside and I don't want it leave it outside on a long term basis here at the coast. So I'll make it work.
    Lol, you donít have a problem... you are creating a problem!

Well done on the progress this far :thumbs:

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

avk

This morning replaced the "lids" in the front. This will double as storage (such as chairs and spare wheel) as well as a bunkbed for my boy. Also cut the hole in the roof for the roof vent.

P.S. cutting that hole I used this. If you don't have one...get one. It's cheap, but one of the most useful tools I've bought in a long time. Allowed me to cut against the wood beam using it as a template and much easier than maneuvering in the jigsaw (with accompanying pilot hole) or angle grinder.

Then added 3 LED strip lights temporarily with aluminium backing where I think they should go. The inside lights will be moved further away from the roof vent.

Views: 588
Size:  174.0 KB

I also placed one roughly where I want the outside light. It doesn't give off masses of light, but enough for what I need. I will add some sort of plug so I can use an extension to add a LED strip similar to these when the awning is extended. The light can then be clipped on to the struts used for the awning. I've done something similar for my tent extension and it works really well, adding super strong magnets to the back of the strip. So you can just put them anywhere on a piece of metal.

Views: 588
Size:  201.9 KB
    Anton

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

So today started some work on the kitchen. There's a lot of thinking going into this, and I have no doubt that a lot will change by the time I'm done with it.

I have these two ammo boxes, and decided to use them for storage below the work surface. Originally was only going to place them there and can then be pulled to one side if needed. I'll be placing most of the cutlery, etc. in these boxes which eliminates the need for complicated cupboards and things. Only the bare essentials will be in the kitchen area.

In the end the placement of the fridge meant that I would not be able to lift the whole work surface. Had some of two sets of sliding things from a different project and decided to make use of them. The work surface was divided into three sections. The fridge on the left, the microwave on the right (which I'm still not 100% convinced will be put in at the end, but I'm making space for it just in case I decide to leave it in). So the centre section is the only part which is easy to lift out.

P.S. the gap is only there because they are loosely placed at the moment.

Views: 506
Size:  218.5 KB

So now both ammoboxes (one under the fridge and one under the microwave) can be pulled to the centre if anything is needed from them. Not the most elegant solution, but it will work.

Views: 501
Size:  243.5 KB

Name:  Image100003.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  288.0 KB

I also cut out the doors in the meanwhile, which I've test-fitted. Have to admit, I'm kinda put off by the quality of plywood (wood in general t.b.h.) these days. Thickness not even throughout, in some cases the 12mm sheet is missing sections in between, making it go down to 10mm, and in others doubling up making it it closer to 15mm. OK, I know, this type of wood isn't really made for accurate type jobs, but still...

When I started with this project, I started making a habit of going outside to the lumber section at the hardware place myself to select the wood myself. E.g. the 76x38's I've been using, I go through the whole pile to get ones that are actually relatively dry and straight. Most are super wet and already not close to straight. Oh well, spend just a few minutes extra and make sure I get the best stock possible.
    Last edited by avk; 2020/03/23 at 04:39 PM.
    Anton

31. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

you can buy ply woods of different quality for different applications

33. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    you can buy ply woods of different quality for different applications
    Unfortunately here I can only get one type. I can get better quality, but at the price it would cost to get it I can just spend some time sorting through the stock they have on hand.
    Anton

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast