Welding machine for R998 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Welding machine for R998

Rather spend a little more and get a 200Amp inverter. You need to look at the duty cycle of a machine. Minimum is 60 % at max amperage.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app

Thumbs up Re: Welding machine for R998

Quote Originally Posted by Breekbeen View Post
    I would not call myself a great welder, but like to do it from time to time.
    On a farm it is a necessity.
    We have a very old 70's maybe, 3 phase welder. That thing really welds nice.
    My latest attempt after about a year of no practice. 4mm @ 170 A

Modesty...

Jy mag maar "weld" meneer.
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Ek het nou klaar gewerk, maar ek weet nie of die bank daarvan gaan hou nie...

So while everybody is giving advise, please tell me what I am doing wrong. I can do a nice butt weld, but if the two edges come together at anything sharper than 45 deg, my weld only takes on one of the edges. Sometimes it would hop between the two edges. I then have to struggle to clean stuff off in the hope that the next run catches both edges.

I get the feeling I am trapping slag in the weld. Silly overhead welds, and vertical ups I don't do to bad at. Seems I can push the puddle, but I can't get it to follow nicely. I went to a boiler maker who told me its my angle, but even on his piece of work, with his rods, at the angles he suggested, I was getting the same results.

I end up welding like you would 3D print, and waste a lot of rods and put a lot of heat into my work.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Have you tried a circular motion on the weld?

But it is your angle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Pretty sure its my angle. I struggled again today with a crossmember I had to mod. Trying to follow the shape of the steel around the corners, and inside the cavity turned into a nightmare. I have little spurts here and there that took. Then a good dose of 3d welding to bridge the rest.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

David you need to do a U motion on the sides of the angled joint or small circles.

Another point is your rod size in relation to your heat, smaller rod or more amperage might just do the trick
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

I have various actions I employ in an attempt to make "it stick" on both surfaces. One that seems to work the best, is the action similar to the vertical up movement where I spend some time on each edge, with a faster motion through the gap to the next edge. Using the Z to circular motion.

Amperage I try and keep on the lower side to prevent overheating and holes. Also trying to keep warping to a minimum. Usually around 80 amps on a 2.5, and 90-100 on 3.2mm, unless I am burning 10mm and thicker steel on short runs where I can get away with higher amps.

Having serious fun with this crossmember as I need to keep its shape exact to have the gearbox in the right place. Can't afford that it does not fit in its position after welding is done. So I have to do most the welding on the car, which of course makes access and angles very difficult when you are working around a gearbox and transfer case, and trying to keep heat away from the fiberglass floor of the car, and not melt polly bushes. So its setup, weld a little, move to another place, setup and weld a little, take a break and let stuff cool down. Come back a bit later and do it all over again. And my fat head with welding helmet does not fit into all the orifices under the car where I can actually see what/where I am welding.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Ha Ha thats funny. My spraygun came with a reminder of air tools need to be oiled.
    Air tools do need to be oiled on a regular basis otherwise they won't last long

I've seen lots of pro welders do 3 runs on some welds: one left, one right, one down the middle.

And the Z or U movement SHOULD cover most tight gaps. Maybe slow down your middle portion of your swing.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    So while everybody is giving advise, please tell me what I am doing wrong. I can do a nice butt weld, but if the two edges come together at anything sharper than 45 deg, my weld only takes on one of the edges. Sometimes it would hop between the two edges. I then have to struggle to clean stuff off in the hope that the next run catches both edges.

I get the feeling I am trapping slag in the weld. Silly overhead welds, and vertical ups I don't do to bad at. Seems I can push the puddle, but I can't get it to follow nicely. I went to a boiler maker who told me its my angle, but even on his piece of work, with his rods, at the angles he suggested, I was getting the same results.

I end up welding like you would 3D print, and waste a lot of rods and put a lot of heat into my work.
    Weld in a circular motionie one circle cuts the next circle half way.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Weld speed is critical

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travoski View Post
    Air tools do need to be oiled on a regular basis otherwise they won't last long
    Im very aware of this but not in an airgun. The chinese dont translate well and dont take pride in quality control even right down to their user manuals.

DO NOT BUY.
    I've hadexactly the same Disston welder, bought it from Builders Warehouse. After somelight DIY work with 25mm square tubing (20 welds over 2 days) the IGBTs blew,and during the same DIY project it blew again (after about 30 welds over twodays). I am probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 welder, I am not great, but okay. I hadto take it to the suppliers (Androware) in Koedoespoort (Pretoria) both timesto repair. Luckily, they were able to replace the IGBT PC boards and repair itat I think R250.

Afterthe 2nd time I insisted on a demo MIG machine at a good price. I think I paidjust below R3000. MIG is waaaaay easier. I will never stick weld again.

Welding is easier than golf! Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by GJHuman View Post
    DO NOT BUY.
    I've hadexactly the same Disston welder, bought it from Builders Warehouse. After somelight DIY work with 25mm square tubing (20 welds over 2 days) the IGBTs blew,and during the same DIY project it blew again (after about 30 welds over twodays). I am probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 welder, I am not great, but okay. I hadto take it to the suppliers (Androware) in Koedoespoort (Pretoria) both timesto repair. Luckily, they were able to replace the IGBT PC boards and repair itat I think R250.

Afterthe 2nd time I insisted on a demo MIG machine at a good price. I think I paidjust below R3000. MIG is waaaaay easier. I will never stick weld again.

For a DIY home welder the inverter is just better value for money. Agreed Mig is waaaay better but the issue with gas bottles and deposits/ rental is a big issue. The small domestic cylinders are exorbitantly expensive and not a proposition.

As for repairs, my Afrox machine had to go in for repairs so even the expensive stuff can give problems.

As for your closing statement about golf.... Hell yeah, Shaya pikanini white bolletjie called dammit no can do
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    How can you ever think that is a serviceable weld after some grinding Deon. There is no way that has any structural integrity.
    My advice is to spend a bit of money and go for a few lessons. One of the reason for all the red tape to licence a home built trailer is because of the rubbish that is produced in people's garages and then put on the road. If you don't want to pay a qualified craftsmen to do something and want to do it yourself, at least get some training. Would you attempt heart surgery without going to med school?
    Absolute bull!
    There's nothing wrong with grinding down welds if you have managed proper penetration on the welds ... the steel is only 2mm thick tube... you've melted the parent metal and you have at least 2mm thick weld and filled the gap with weld material inside and outside (both side of the parent metal). when you start welding thicker plate you need to bevel the edges to make sure you have full-pen, but still nothing wrong with grinding the excess on the visible face.
    Look at the inside of the tubes to see if you have good penetration then grind away. The tube is also radius-ed, so the OP has a partially prepped weld already anyway.

Comparing unqualified heart surgery to someone welding a garden fence at home? come on. Where did tho OP say he's welding cars and putting them on the road?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrusselSprout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrusselSprout View Post
    Absolute bull!
    There's nothing wrong with grinding down welds if you have managed proper penetration on the welds ... the steel is only 2mm thick tube... you've melted the parent metal and you have at least 2mm thick weld and filled the gap with weld material inside and outside (both side of the parent metal). when you start welding thicker plate you need to bevel the edges to make sure you have full-pen, but still nothing wrong with grinding the excess on the visible face.
    Look at the inside of the tubes to see if you have good penetration then grind away. The tube is also radius-ed, so the OP has a partially prepped weld already anyway.

Comparing unqualified heart surgery to someone welding a garden fence at home? come on. Where did tho OP say he's welding cars and putting them on the road?
    yep, many high pressure industrial welds are ground flat, it's the penetration that matters, as the prostitute said to the priest.......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I struggled with this on Sunday.

May usual problem with the weld only penetrating one of the surfaces. On the outside of my arch, I made a cut to allow the bend on this 10mm plate. I started a filler with a 2.5 with one bead, and filled with two beads of 3.2. I then rounded and cleaned off the outside with a grinder as I like things to be neat.

On the inside of each bend, I ran 3 beads with 3.2 in the hope to add some support on the inside edge of each bend. It also served to pull the work back to the correct shape after all the welds on the outside had pulled the arch open.

I now need to take this back to the drawing board as I have been told the inside of the arch will be too weak and needs a gusset to stop the arch from bending open.

To add to my troubles this weekend, I got a splinter in my eye on Saturday, and Monday my old auto darkening helmet started playing funny buggers with me. Would just go off mid weld. Sometimes would not switch off and stay dark. This morning I feel like I havr arc eyes on top of the splinter in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GJHuman View Post
    DO NOT BUY.

The biggest killer for cheap/budget welders is the grinding sparks from preparation and tidying up.
    They are really, really hot and if you grind anywhere in proximity of the welder, they go into the vent louvers and settle on and burn into the board, causing shorts and damaging the components on the board.

Higher end welders have a coating on the boards to prevent this happening.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    The biggest killer for cheap/budget welders is the grinding sparks from preparation and tidying up.
    They are really, really hot and if you grind anywhere in proximity of the welder, they go into the vent louvers and settle on and burn into the board, causing shorts and damaging the components on the board.

Higher end welders have a coating on the boards to prevent this happening.
    Thats what I explained right in the beginning. Most people do not understand why "industrial" welders are so much more expensive. This is one of the main advantages.
    Another advantage (and cost) is AVR and Safe weld technology.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yep, many high pressure industrial welds are ground flat, it's the penetration that matters, as the prostitute said to the priest.......
    Saying of the day on the forum. It really made me grin
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

26. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast