Welding machine for R998 - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Welding machine for R998

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post

To add to my troubles this weekend, I got a splinter in my eye on Saturday, and Monday my old auto darkening helmet started playing funny buggers with me. Would just go off mid weld. Sometimes would not switch off and stay dark. This morning I feel like I havr arc eyes on top of the splinter in my eye.
    SAFETY GOOGLES
    SAFETY SHOES
    GLOVES

I'd frigging chase you off site if I caught you grinding without protection.
    I wore glasses for 25 years and I will NEVER risk my eyesight again.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrusselSprout View Post
    Absolute bull!
    There's nothing wrong with grinding down welds if you have managed proper penetration on the welds ... the steel is only 2mm thick tube... you've melted the parent metal and you have at least 2mm thick weld and filled the gap with weld material inside and outside (both side of the parent metal). when you start welding thicker plate you need to bevel the edges to make sure you have full-pen, but still nothing wrong with grinding the excess on the visible face.
    Look at the inside of the tubes to see if you have good penetration then grind away. The tube is also radius-ed, so the OP has a partially prepped weld already anyway.

Comparing unqualified heart surgery to someone welding a garden fence at home? come on. Where did tho OP say he's welding cars and putting them on the road?
    There's a huge difference between smoothing a weld for cosmetic looks and having to grind off lumps of slag and having a weld that is full of inclusions.
    If you are happy with substandard bird shite to be called a weld, I'll leave you to it.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    SAFETY GOOGLES
    SAFETY SHOES
    GLOVES

I'd frigging chase you off site if I caught you grinding without protection.
    I wore glasses for 25 years and I will NEVER risk my eyesight again.
    Somehow a piece of slag that had not been chipped off, got flung by the grinder. I felt a lot of fragments hit my face at one stage, and some made it behind my glasses. Only a bit later did I feel that a piece was left behind in my eye. Thought it was loose and would wash out later, but it remains in there and scratching for three days now. This evening I dragged a earbud across my eye, and dragged it around behind the eyelid. So far, the scratching is gone, I think I got it.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    There's a huge difference between smoothing a weld for cosmetic looks and having to grind off lumps of slag and having a weld that is full of inclusions.
    If you are happy with substandard bird shite to be called a weld, I'll leave you to it.
    One of the reasons I grind off excess, is to see if the weld has filled up properly. I admit to be a crappy welder, and my welds are far from even height across the top. If I find any gap, or fine crack in the weld after grinding down, I grind it out to clean metal, and run another bead or three. Believe me, I have found welds that look half good till you grind it down, and find a slag pocket that opens up, basically leaving no "adhesion" between the surfaces. So its kind of a double check for myself as well. But I must admit, that I do sometimes let things slide a bit. On my piece I posted above, I have a small slag pit in the middle of my weld. As that is a 3 bead pass with 3.2mm at 120 amp on 10mm flat bar, I am not going to worry about a small little pit like that on the top bead. I will show you much worse MIG welds on my car from the Nissan factory.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

This has got nothing to do with your original comments - you had a go at someone for commenting about grinding a weld smooth to neaten it up - and said it affects the strength. Now you're saying smoothing a weld for cosmetic looks is ok??
    And if you don't grind off or chip out slag - how will you even know if you've managed to actually achieve a weld?
    A weld doesn't necessarily have to look good to achieve required strength - and even welds that look fantastic could have defects.

If you can't take someone calling you on the bullsht you're spewing out then you shouldn't be mouthing-off on a forum.

I think it was henk that said you get welders and you get grinders, or something like that. I think most of us hobbyists are more grinders than welders!

I think welding is a cool skill. Don't know why I like it, but it is quite fun making stuff and fixing things. Everyone in my complex thinks I am a complete nutter as I love any excuse to drag out the grinders and fix things that have broken around the place. I will say that as much as I admit to being a crap amateur, I have been fixing things like our complex gates, and my welds are a lot better than the ones we have paid a "professional" money for.

Obviously the "professional" was a gate guy, that probably found a guy outside builders that said he was a welder. One of the cool things with being an amateur, is that I don't really care if I use a lot of rods, or a bit more argon, and if i need to grind down and cut v's to join pieces then I am okay with that. The "professionals" just want to get it looking okay and get out as quickly and cheaply as possible. (I am obviously not referring to proper coded welders here that know what they are doing.)

The biggest problem with welding in a complex is that grinding is inevitable and if you are doing tig, then you need to clean a lot before welding, and if you are like me, doing stick you also need to clean after the weld. So noise is definitely an issue! Less so if you are fixing things about the complex and if you occasionally help a neighbour with stuff you earn extra brownie points.

I bought a decent welder, and although it is way more capable than me, I am still glad I have it. It tends to flatter me and it is also like the difference between cycling on a makro bike and a 100k+ Italian made master piece. Both will get you from A-B, but the better one, lets you enjoy the journey a lot more.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I once saw a guy that welded a 6 metre gate without using a helmet. He just squinted his eyes.

Not a pretty sight for sore eyes
    He engaged his safety squint, the OSHA people would be proud
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to petermoffat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrusselSprout View Post
    This has got nothing to do with your original comments - you had a go at someone for commenting about grinding a weld smooth to neaten it up - and said it affects the strength. Now you're saying smoothing a weld for cosmetic looks is ok??
    And if you don't grind off or chip out slag - how will you even know if you've managed to actually achieve a weld?
    A weld doesn't necessarily have to look good to achieve required strength - and even welds that look fantastic could have defects.

If you can't take someone calling you on the bullsht you're spewing out then you shouldn't be mouthing-off on a forum.
    Wow I seem to have poked you with a hot electrode.
    There is a big difference between smoothing a structurally sound weld for any reason and having to grind off lumps of slag and spatter so that another layer of slag and splatter can be applied over the top of the workpiece.
    I'm not a professional or coded welder but did take the time and trouble to do a accredited welding course many years ago. Since then like with most things I haven't stopped learning about the subject. I do realise the limitations my ability and equipment have so when it comes to the intricate or critical structural welds I make use of a professional coded welder.
    I'll now leave you in peace so my posts don't continue to give you arc-eye's.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4