Views:	257 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	531019

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welder3.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	531020

I think need a few more weld hours to get it right. 8)
    I get arc eyes just look at the result!
    Last edited by SBSP; 2019/06/15 at 02:30 PM.
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Default Re: Welding machine for R998

Looks about like my welding. Perfect after some grinding and a spot of paint.
    As long as it's not load bearing...

For load bearing welds, I got my Dad to come do my welding
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Another amateur here .... Don't try to do a full run at once on the thin wall tubing. Do a few mm then a gap and then another few mm and so on. Come back and do the gaps.
    Kobus

Nissan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Another amateur here .... Don't try to do a full run at once on the thin wall tubing. Do a few mm then a gap and then another few mm and so on. Come back and do the gaps.
    Now you tell us......
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

And dont do vertical welds.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

I have a small inverter welder and it is holding up pretty well up to this point in time. I am not an industrial welder, just using it for odd things I do around the house/vehicles.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    Invest in a decent 115mm grinder.....it can make any weld look good
    You'll only need the angle grinder if you build "swallows nests"...

Like I did years ago, till I got the hang of it.

I've also "inherited" a Disston like that from my son when they moved to UK.

Practice makes perfect... Practice on scrap pieces, and DO use auto darkening helmet.
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Ek het nou klaar gewerk, maar ek weet nie of die bank daarvan gaan hou nie...

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Looks about like my welding. Perfect after some grinding and a spot of paint.
    As long as it's not load bearing...

For load bearing welds, I got my Dad to come do my welding
    How can you ever think that is a serviceable weld after some grinding Deon. There is no way that has any structural integrity.
    My advice is to spend a bit of money and go for a few lessons. One of the reason for all the red tape to licence a home built trailer is because of the rubbish that is produced in people's garages and then put on the road. If you don't want to pay a qualified craftsmen to do something and want to do it yourself, at least get some training. Would you attempt heart surgery without going to med school?
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

A few offcuts and some Youtube videos sbould do it.

For the heart surgery.... if I can get a few volunteers and some YT videos to watch, I might attempt it.
    Kobus

Nissan

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

I was taught on the mine, if a steam pipe failed on night shift you had to make a plan and get the plant up asap. Gary Player said " the more I practice the luckier I get" well this applies to welding as well. With Youtube and some practice you can become quite a competent welder.

Get yourself a decent auto darkening helmet and when you chip off the slag do so with the helmet on, I have seen eyes lost because of hot slag. Gloves is not negotiable and for me the stuff we use for 4x4 works pretty well. A welding magnet or 6 makes life so easy.

Before you know what hit you, you will have the whole shebang as far as welders are concerned, oil bath, inverter, mig, tig, even spot welder and acetylene and for support a full compliment of grinders and cut off saws not forgetting the plasma cutter, been there got the toys
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    I Nailed it!

Name:	welder.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	736.6 KB 
ID:	531018

Name:	welder2.png 

Fantastic welding, pity you left the steel item under the storks nesting tree to cool off
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Galvanised steel should be sanded till all galvanising at welding area is removed
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Agree with Henk.

Welding becomes great fun. And the DC welders makes lufe much easier.

Learn to watch your weld puddle. You will learn when your heating a area to much and how to avoud burning holes. I chuffed myself a great amateur welder.

Then spent 30min welding with our companies inhouse boilermaker. Taught me quick lessons in a small window that transformed my skills. If you have the chance to pair up with experience. It helps.

I bought a book on welding from that Riaan guy that had the DIY show on TV. That also helped me alot.

I avoid welding on tubing below 2mm wall thickness. But now learnt that I weld to slowly and thats why I burn holes.

Practice practice practice.

Oh and a auto darkning helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    I Nailed it!

Name:	welder.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	736.6 KB 
ID:	531018

Name:	welder2.png 

You are a hundred percent right . A bit more practice and you will nail it. All our welding looks like that in the beggining.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    How can you ever think that is a serviceable weld after some grinding Deon. There is no way that has any structural integrity.
    My advice is to spend a bit of money and go for a few lessons. One of the reason for all the red tape to licence a home built trailer is because of the rubbish that is produced in people's garages and then put on the road. If you don't want to pay a qualified craftsmen to do something and want to do it yourself, at least get some training. Would you attempt heart surgery without going to med school?
    I agree. But everyone has to start somewhere. Start making furniture, gates etc where structural integrity does not matter.

Grinding might make welds look good, but is also an art. By grinding the blobs flat with the metal reduces the strength even more until it looks good. The resultant strength could be just stronger than if using prestick.

It can become a very satisfying hobby. Lessons are recommended and will certainly shorten the learning curve and make you competent for basic welding.

Welding structural items, like trailer chassis, should be left to the professionals and competent welders, who do not need grinders.

It is most satisfying to get to the stage where your welds look better than welds neatened up with grinders.

On the matter of welders: It helps to spend a bit more money on a decent welder if you are serious about wanting to learn to weld. I learnt to weld in my teens in the farm workshop. When I started working, I bought my first welder in some Jhg auction. It was a basic aircooled unit. I had to up my skills to weld with it - it was much more difficult to start a weld than the industrial 3 phase welder on the farm. The basic oil cooled welders were much easier to weld with, but did not have incremental adjustments.

The modern inverter welders are even better. I also want to get one of these as I want to downscale. I have no idea what's available and as such am following this thread with interest. Hopefully someone can recommend something from experience. R998 for a decent welder seems too cheap, even for a low duty cycle unit.

I used the term "load bearing" you used the term "structural integrity" - is there really any difference? In layman's terms?
    Like I said: "For load bearing welds, I got my Dad to come do my welding" - so where structural integrity was required, I did get a HIGHLY Qualified craftsman to do the welding.

Can you really compare welding some crap together in the back yard to heart surgery. Knowing you as long as I have, I expected better from you.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I agree. But everyone has to start somewhere. Start making furniture, gates etc where structural integrity does not matter.

Grinding might make welds look good, but is also an art. By grinding the blobs flat with the metal reduces the strength even more until it looks good. The resultant strength could be just stronger than if using prestick.

It can become a very satisfying hobby. Lessons are recommended and will certainly shorten the learning curve and make you competent for basic welding.

Welding structural items, like trailer chassis, should be left to the professionals and competent welders, who do not need grinders.

It is most satisfying to get to the stage where your welds look better than welds neatened up with grinders.

On the matter of welders: It helps to spend a bit more money on a decent welder if you are serious about wanting to learn to weld. I learnt to weld in my teens in the farm workshop. When I started working, I bought my first welder in some Jhg auction. It was a basic aircooled unit. I had to up my skills to weld with it - it was much more difficult to start a weld than the industrial 3 phase welder on the farm. The basic oil cooled welders were much easier to weld with, but did not have incremental adjustments.

The modern inverter welders are even better. I also want to get one of these as I want to downscale. I have no idea what's available and as such am following this thread with interest. Hopefully someone can recommend something from experience. R998 for a decent welder seems too cheap, even for a low duty cycle unit.
    If you want to do more welding then just a few bits together every now and again, get yourself a small MIG welder and use one of the Argon gas mixes instead of plain CO2. It is really worth spending a bit more and getting the correct kit the first time around. A few one on one lessons are better than hundreds of hours on YouTube with guys showing you their bad habits.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

If you want to do more welding then just a few bits together every now and again, get yourself a small MIG welder and use one of the Argon gas mixes instead of plain CO2. It is really worth spending a bit more and getting the correct kit the first time around. A few one on one lessons are better than hundreds of hours on YouTube with guys showing you their bad habits.
    True about the lessons vs YouTube self help. The problem I have is that I want to replace my multi-mode pulsed MIG welder with something small and competent. It will be some small MIG welder.

Those little welders are fairly robust. I often run up 4 or 5 3.2mm rods directly after each other on mine. End up tripping my plugs circuit breaker, but the little invertor just does its thing. Ot has not even gone into overheat protection in the 3 years I have had it.

Word of caution though, do not do grinding around or close to your welder. The steel dust gets drawn into the unit, and can cause shorts on the pc boards of these DIY units. Industrial welders have an epoxy or some coating on the PC boards to protect them from conductive dust.

When choosing a auto darkening helmet, get something that has darkness adjustment. Those for under R300 are one darkness only, and I found them to be just too dark to watch my puddle properly. Especially when welding out in the sun, and you get too much light coming into your helmet past your head.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I would not call myself a great welder, but like to do it from time to time.
    On a farm it is a necessity.
    We have a very old 70's maybe, 3 phase welder. That thing really welds nice.
    My latest attempt after about a year of no practice. 4mm @ 170 A

2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4; ARB Bumber; 50mm OME; Snorkel; African Outback roofrack; TMax 9500; KC Daylighters.

2006 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D ( sold )

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Breekbeen For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast