Rwc 2019 - Page 27

Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Rwc 2019

Default Re: Rwc 2019

Interesting game and glad the Boks came through. Their defense was very good (for a change) and I can understand when you are 5-3 to Japan in a WC semi you get a bit desperate; hence the DDA and Willie errors I guess. Once we started getting turnovers, winning scrums and lineouts on their ball the Japs were on the ropes. I had to chuckle at ou Naas pointing out the winger that Mpimpi went through for his first try was about 7m offside with Barnes et al finding no fault and so through the game.

But game will have to be upped against Wales.

I agree with "The only way to effectively nullify the ABs is to ACCURATELY grubber kick into open space behind their defensive line". If you kick the ball directly to just one of them it is trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    As we are hoping to meet the AB's in the final I was wondering about the two Barrett brothers. Jordie is now at fly half and although good I do not believe that he is as good as Beauden. I am not sure that Beauden as as good a fullback as Jordie. So was wondering if this was not a ruse by the AB's to have Beauden protected at the back and to play him at flyhalf for the semi's and final and to send Jordie back to No 15. Or is this their way to extend the players career by putting him in the less stressful and less demanding position of full back.

Beauden at flyhalf would worry me more than Jordie.

I feel for Handre as the game plan does not let him see as much of the ball as he should have. He is a great runner, good tactical kicker but our game plan has Faf doing almost all the kicking. Against Wales we might get away with it, against the AB's nope, their counter attack is simply too devastating. I am sure Rassie has a different game plan for the AB's. However, no game plan is effective without player skill sets being perfected. I am concerned that one game against Wales is insufficient time with which to improve personal skill sets sufficient to beat the AB's.
    Handre must convert tries and penalties into points. A missed conversion or penalty may just the difference between winning and losing a game.
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos13 View Post
    I was on the afrikaans commentary and they said it was clear that Faf is under orders to play the way he does, Jantjies did precisely the same with the first scrum.

I believe that moments in the second half where he broke the pattern was him deciding to hell with the orders and he made an impact.

But I am sorry to say, with that game plan and with that performance, the cup will not come to us
    I think and rather hope there is a different game plan for the next 2 games or else we dead in the water and wont touch that cup at all.
    Last edited by Shade; 2019/10/21 at 07:11 AM.
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

So Rassie's job is to win and not to play attractive rugby.

So I think we should play rather differently, my armchair coaching experience is now up against Rassie who is acknowledged to have a great rugby brain, well respected for his ability amongst by his peers, ex Springbok. So do I honestly believe that as an armchair coach that my knowledge is superior?

Just a thought I was quietly having.

I feel for Handre as the game plan does not let him see as much of the ball as he should have. He is a great runner, good tactical kicker but our game plan has Faf doing almost all the kicking. I absolutely agree. Against Wales we might get away with it, against the AB's nope, their counter attack is simply too devastating. Right again. I am sure Rassie has a different game plan for the AB's. I really hope so, but I am beginning to bet worried. His game plans seems to always be on the conservative side. However, no game plan is effective without player skill sets being perfected. I think that our players do have the skills needed to play attractive rugby, but those skills are being suppressed by the game plan. I am concerned that one game against Wales is insufficient time with which to improve personal skill sets sufficient to beat the AB's. Agree again.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yep

box kicking into an extremely efficient counter-attacking team will just ruin everybody's day except for the Kiwis who will take the cup

The only way to effectively nullify the ABs is to grubber kick into open space behind their defensive line: they don't enjoy running back to pick up and defend. But then the support and follow-up must be fast and tight.
    And more than that, to keep possession of the ball. Play them at their own game. That will frustrate them.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

1. Bok pack demolished Japan

Call their game plan boring, but the Springboks' win was built on a dominant performance up front.
    The Bok pack laid the foundation for the victory as they eventually sucked the life out of Japan.

Coach Rassie Erasmus' game plan proved effective in keeping the game a slow as possible and not playing to fast-paced Japan's strengths.
    Japan looked dangerous at times in the first half, but eventually ran out of puff against a staunch Springbok defence.
    Apart from one lost scrum when they were down to seven forwards, the Boks dominated this set piece and also won all 10 of their own lineouts, while stealing five of Japan's 13.
    2. Man-of-the-match Faf grabs attention
    Bok scrumhalf Faf de Klerk may have received the official man-of-the-match award but it was his excessive use of the box kick that riled up many a Springbok fan.
    To his credit, De Klerk did some good things - he scored a try after a dominant Springbok maul, set up Makazole Mapimpi's first try by going blindside at a scrum and defended like a Trojan throughout - but his kicks from the base caused somewhat of a stir on social media.
    De Klerk is clearly under instruction to do so, but one feels his execution needs to improve.
    In the semi-finals - and a possible final - the Springboks cannot afford to kick away so much well-earned possession.
    3. Beast lucky to see only yellow?
    Many pundits felt Springbok prop Tendai "Beast" Mtawarira was a tad lucky to only receive a yellow card for a tip tackle on a Japanese player in the 10th minute.
    I felt English referee Wayne Barnes made the right call because the Japan player did not fall on his head.
    The following tweet perhaps summed the incident quite well:

[https://pbs]

[email protected]

Beast is saved from red by the Japanese player extending his elbow. Crazy that the effect/consequence is sanctioned, not the act itself.

Act itself deserves a red. But the consequence means itís yellow.

Barnes assured as always. Makes the right call.

12:35 PM - Oct 20, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Runningflyhalf's other Tweets

One thing is certain, a red card for Mtawarira would have changed the whole complexion of the match...
    4. Food for thought at fullback...
    The erratic performance of Springbok fullback Willie le Roux may prompt coach Rassie Erasmus to rethink his selection at the back.
    Le Roux had a terrible first half, with his passing and handling letting him down badly, while he also looked shaky under the high ball.
    To his credit, Le Roux improved in the second stanza but he'll need to up his game ahead of the semi-final against Wales.
    Le Roux is an experienced campaigner and will play his 60th Test if he gets picked for the semi-final, but one wonders whether Erasmus will ponder over the possible inclusion of either Warrick Gelant, Frans Steyn or Damian Willemse in the No 15 jumper.
    5. A Bok standout
    He has copped some flak in recent times for being one dimensional, but I thought Springbok centre Damian de Allende was a standout player at Tokyo Stadium on Sunday.
    The inside centre was South Africa's go-to ball carrier - his nine carries the most of any Springbok - and also racked up an impressive 14 tackles.
    De Allende fits the type of game style the Boks want to employ and will prove a handful for the Welsh.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

So Rassie's job is to win and not to play attractive rugby.

So I think we should play rather differently, my armchair coaching experience is now up against Rassie who is acknowledged to have a great rugby brain, well respected for his ability amongst by his peers, ex Springbok. So do I honestly believe that as an armchair coach that my knowledge is superior?

Just a thought I was quietly having.
    I agree with you and I would hate to read this thread if we lose a game. I think Rassie looked at his opponents and decided that he had a 95% chance of winning the game with a relatively low score by playing a game using his forward dominance (which involved kicking). His other option was a 75% chance of beating Japan with a high score utilising an open running game (with little kicking). An interesting parrallel to this is Jake Whites game plans against England in 2007, in the pool game open high risk in the final tight low risk. Yesterday was a semi -final so it was an easy choice, it will be interesting see what he chooses to do against Wales.

VERY glad we came through against a VERY respected Jap Team.

My only issue was that Jap had something like 80% possession, we had 20..........

Dunno how Japan manages that, but they do.

But its done and dusted, a HUGE congrats to the Boks, and looking forward to their Wales game. I somehow dont really worry about that, Wales just does not impress me.

Speaking of Wales..........My other favourite Team was SO SO close to winning them, DAMN I've always just LOVED the French, from since I was a little boy. You guys remember that flanker, Jean Pierre Rees/Reeves/Reece?? Daai witkop??
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

The Japs are way better than what everybody thinks. The fact that they are 7th on the world rankings just shows that the process to be higher up takes time (If i am making sense)

Yesterdays game was much tighter than anticipated. The Japs were riding a huge wave of confidence and had the biggest crown yet at the RWC to date so PLENTY of passion as well.

I never thought the game was going to be a shower but i was seriously irretated with Faf(Yes i know i moaned about the moaning previously) and then very obviously Willie who should have stayed in the bus.

And then the obvious lack of finishing skills. But i think that was more nerve than anything else.

Their nerves will prove to be their undoing if they cannot master it for the rest of the RWC

My thoughts

1. Game plan was clear. Humiliate them upfront and keep them in their half. Don't get sucked into their expansive game where their offloading causes havoc. This tactic worked

2. we were our own worse enemies, leaving at least 3 try's on the field in the first half

3. Kicking game was for a change very very accurate. Almost every one of the kicks was absolutely contestable. That we could not compete in the air was down to 2 things:

- skill/bravery
    - the japanese players consistently forming a wall to protect the jumper. To me this is obstruction but on the day the tactic worked from them

4. Barnes was an idiot. he should stop coaching on the field and get on with it

5. Beast's yellow card brought them into the game. Absolutely deserved. But so was the Japanese winger's one on Mapimpi. Again, Barnes acting like an idiot using "but you kicked it" as an excuse not to review for dangerous play.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Willie, with his experience, should not suffer a whole half of nerves. Definitely a weak link that they're going to have to do something about.

Hats off to Kolisi and De Allende. Either of those could have been my man of the match.

Also, hats off to the few SA Supporters there. There might not have been many, but they made themselves heard - in the singing of the anthems and the cheering.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2019/10/21 at 09:27 AM.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    - the japanese players consistently forming a wall to protect the jumper. To me this is obstruction but on the day the tactic worked from them
    I agree. On several occasions they should have been blown for a professional foul or at least deliberate obstruction. They run interference ahead of the pass receiver as well, and this should have been blown. Barnes was pretty sad.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    . Barnes was pretty sad.
    That is the understatement of the week. I can think of plenty of other descriptors for his performance.
    Gavin

.............and what do you Guys say about France/Wales??

Those Frenchies play SUCH nice rugby.........!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malmoer View Post
    The Japs are way better than what everybody thinks. The fact that they are 7th on the world rankings just shows that the process to be higher up takes time (If i am making sense)

Yesterdays game was much tighter than anticipated. The Japs were riding a huge wave of confidence and had the biggest crown yet at the RWC to date so PLENTY of passion as well.

I never thought the game was going to be a shower but i was seriously irretated with Faf(Yes i know i moaned about the moaning previously) and then very obviously Willie who should have stayed in the bus.

And then the obvious lack of finishing skills. But i think that was more nerve than anything else.

Their nerves will prove to be their undoing if they cannot master it for the rest of the RWC
    Yes but the guys called it right, you said that if we kept the pressure on and smushed them time after time, we would wear them down and create chances. This is exactly what happened. Japan had very few opportunities to run, despite having that ball lobbed at them so many times.

Lot of handling mistakes, but look how many times we nicked the ball in the lineouts.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I confess - I know Faf-all about rugby ....

..... if I did, I would have choses Faf as Man of the Match as well!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Without trying to second guess Rassie's game plan I am a bit confused.

Without a doubt we were totally dominant in the forwards, in fact so much so that it was close to being a miss match. Why then would we constantly kick possession away, giving the opposition the ball to do what they want with when keeping the ball tight within the forwards would have made our game so much easier. We allowed them into the game by giving them the possession. It so easily could have bitten us.

Sadly, a number of Faf's kicks went straight up into the air descending amongst hordes of Japan's players. In addition he telegraphs all his kicks very plainly. I cannot fault the man on his defense and work ethic, it was superb.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    My only issue was that Jap had something like 80% possession, we had 20..........

Dunno how Japan manages that, but they do.
    Easy. We gave it to them. So how good is a team if you give away most of your ball, prevent the opposition from scoring a single try and win by a 23 point margin? If you learn to win with crap ball, imagine how good you'll be when you actually keep the ball.
    Last edited by George; 2019/10/21 at 09:53 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Easy. We gave it to them. So how good is a team if you give away most of your ball, prevent the opposition from scoring a single try and win by a 23 point margin? If you learn to win with crap ball, imagine how good you'll be when you actually keep the ball.
    Agree 100% George, our defense was amazing, to say the least.

But you really think "giving them" possession was part of the Plan?? I think not.

But agree totally, having an opponent with 80% of the Ball and not giving away one single try against you says a lot about your Defense.

Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 52 ... LastLast