Mupamadzi Crossing

Default Mupamadzi Crossing

We plan to cross the Mupamadzi river at the end of June 2019 en route from Mpika to Mfuwe via the 05.

Does anyone have some local up to date information on whether it has been sandbagged yet this year?
    If not, maybe when it is planned for, or where I can find out?
    Have contacted some of the local camps in Mfuwe but are getting conflicting info and cannot find contact info for Zambian National Parks.

My understanding is that there is now a bridge over the Mutinondo so that shouldn't be a problem?

Default Re: Mupamadzi Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by Janno View Post
    We plan to cross the Mupamadzi river at the end of June 2019 en route from Mpika to Mfuwe via the 05.

Does anyone have some local up to date information on whether it has been sandbagged yet this year?
    If not, maybe when it is planned for, or where I can find out?
    Have contacted some of the local camps in Mfuwe but are getting conflicting info and cannot find contact info for Zambian National Parks.

My understanding is that there is now a bridge over the Mutinondo so that shouldn't be a problem?
    I think it is taking a bit of a risk doing the 05 north to south at the end of June. You might not find out whether the river crossing has been sandbagged until such time as you get to the ranger post at the top of the escarpment. And then if they say the river isnít sandbagged yet, it is the long way back to the Great North Road, to Lusaka and then another dayís drive to Mfuwe.

There has been a bridge over the Mutinondo river for many years. The river crossings (once sandbagged) are the least of your problems on the 05...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hi

We are planning to drive this route south to north (Mfuwe to Mutinondo Wilderness) on 13th July. Lodge at Mfuwe (Flatdogs, Jess) reckons we should be able to find out from Luangwa NP if the river crossing has been sandbagged. If not, probably a long drive back via Lusaka and the Great North Road.

However, any advice on whether the river has been sandbagged and any other advice would be much appreciated - drive up the escarpment sounds tough so any suggestions much appreciated - especially anyone who has done it this year.

Thank you very much

Mike (hkprinia)

Hi Mike,

You can always drive up to NLNP, take the pontoon, and traverse NLNP up to the GNRoad (T2) and thereafter to Mutinondo. I would advise to break it at Chifunda community campsite. It is a great and nice drive. The first half, from Mfuwe to Chifunda should take around 8 hrs and then another 6-8 from there to Mutinondo.

Enjoy.

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2019/06/25 at 11:08 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

I definitely second apfac's advice. Time wise, going via North Luangwa is not much longer (if at all? - they both require 2 days) than going via Lusaka, but in all other aspects it wins hands down.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Hi AP & Ortelius

Thank you very much for the advice - going through NLNP looks good. Doing a bit of research and might have a couple of questions later (hope you don't mind).

Cheers

Mike

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hkprinia For This Useful Post:

Mike, if this can be of any help, here are blog posts of our two traverses from SLNP to Great North Road.

This one is along the notorious "05" route: https://safaribug.wordpress.com/2018...-2016-kasanka/

And this one is via North Luangwa NP: https://safaribug.wordpress.com/2018...north-luangwa/
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

We have just returned from our trip.
    We travelled from Nsefu to North Luangwa and crossed the pontoon.
    Then through North Luangwa, Mpika and south on the 05 crossing the Mupamadzi on the sandbags through to Mfuwe.
    We were the first vehicles across for the season and the crossing was not a problem at all - although a bit scary!

Epic Adventure trip!

Let me know if you have specific questions which I can answer.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janno For This Useful Post: